Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Magic use J.J. to move up in Draft? (Schmitz blog)

My post yesterday:

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/5531000494/p/8

quote:
by The Solution:

I have concluded that Redick should be traded to move up in the draft. I think his recent play is going to make that move difficult. My hopes of Redick contributing to this team have vanished.

Designing plays for Redick shows how determined SVG was to make it work.

If we don't, then it sure would be a total waste of the 11th pick of the draft, which should of been our last launching pad to better things (like this year) as far as the draft for a while. Who else should we have taken?

14. Ronnie Brewer. (Great defender but no outside shot. Trevor Ariza, anyone? He probably would of gotten a lot of time under Brian Hill, but would of been buried/traded under SVG.)

Then no one would of panned out and/or made sense except the guys who went 21, 22, and 23 which is Rajon Rondo, Marcus Williams, and Josh Boone. But no one in their right minds had anyone except Williams going in the Top 12.

Anyway.. point is if we can move back into the Top 15 for our own pick and J.J. with the PF-heavy class that this will be, then I'm all for it.

As far as shooting guard, the dream lineup would be Corey Maggette with Maurice Evans backing him up. I really feel like unless we can drastically improve at the PG position, that we should try to keep both Dooling and Carlos.. having 3 productive guys who can play point guard has helped us withstand quite a bit of games missed by one point guard or another during the course of the season.

So you could have Maggette and Evans at the 2, Jameer and Carlos at the 1.. but if any of the 4 gets injured, Dooling can take those minutes (and of course I'm sure SVG would give Dooling minutes over Carlos at times anyway).

Then you have the frontcourt the way it is without Garrity, and with Battie plus whoever we draft in the first round.

I don't know what team would actually take the deal, but I think it's good for the Magic and probably fair for all parties involved.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

My post yesterday:

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/5531000494/p/8

quote:
by The Solution:

I have concluded that Redick should be traded to move up in the draft. I think his recent play is going to make that move difficult. My hopes of Redick contributing to this team have vanished.

Designing plays for Redick shows how determined SVG was to make it work.

My post three weeks ago:

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8891029871/m/6761019984/p/7

"My ideal offseason would be to resign Dooling and Evans. Trade JJ and our first round pick to move up and select Hansbrough in a draft day deal (if Hansbrough falls to us than we can keep JJ). Then use our MLE to target a SG like Pietrus, combined with using our BAE to bring in another big body (Turiaf? Gomes? Herrmann?), then use a vet min to sign a 3rd string PG to replace Arroyo.

Jameer/Dooling/?

Pietrus/Bogans

Turk/Evans

Shard/Hansbrough/Cook/Fran or ?

Dwight/Battie/Foyle/Gortat"

quote:
As far as shooting guard, the dream lineup would be Corey Maggette with Maurice Evans backing him up. I really feel like unless we can drastically improve at the PG position, that we should try to keep both Dooling and Carlos.. having 3 productive guys who can play point guard has helped us withstand quite a bit of games missed by one point guard or another during the course of the season.

My opinion is that theres no way we can keep both. They will probably command 2.5 mil a year and with us using our MLE, on Maggette or whoever, we wont be able to afford them, especially if we keep MO. Hell we may not be able to keep both of them, which is why I like Jareth's suggestion of Derrick Low if we can pull off a second round pick

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

YES!! Let's trade him for a higher spot in the lottery so we can screw up the pick again. Brilliant!

Would you rather go through another season of JJ rotting on the bench, or would you rather try our luck with a big man which is a glaring need for us?

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

My opinion is that theres no way we can keep both. They will probably command 2.5 mil a year and with us using our MLE, on Maggette or whoever, we wont be able to afford them, especially if we keep MO. Hell we may not be able to keep both of them, which is why I like Jareth's suggestion of Derrick Low.

That's why I think we should use a veterans minimum contract to add a player like Darrel Armstrong to be our 3rd string PG.

We add Armstrong and lose Carlos in one offseason (saving the team 3 million). What a banner idea!

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

YES!! Let's trade him for a higher spot in the lottery so we can screw up the pick again. Brilliant!

Would you rather go through another season of JJ rotting on the bench, or would you rather try our luck with a big man which is a glaring need for us?

I guess I rather stick with one mistake and try to make it work instead of making another.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

No doubt. Whether we have been sterling or crappy at our drafting doesnt mean we totally give up on the process. We need to build thru the draft as much as free agency. Drafting is a crap shoot, you role the dice and takes your chances for the most part.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

My opinion is that theres no way we can keep both. They will probably command 2.5 mil a year and with us using our MLE, on Maggette or whoever, we wont be able to afford them, especially if we keep MO. Hell we may not be able to keep both of them, which is why I like Jareth's suggestion of Derrick Low.

That's why I think we should use a veterans minimum contract to add a player like Darrel Armstrong to be our 3rd string PG.

We add Armstrong and lose Carlos in one offseason (saving the team 3 million). What a banner idea!

Agreed, and if some of what Darrell brings us rubs off on Jameer, then its the steal of the decade. Armstrong would love to come back I believe. Perfect!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Regardless, I can't help but wonder if the Bobcats would want to bring JJ in, seeing they should have a huge fan base already waiting for him.

Absolutely!!

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Regardless, I can't help but wonder if the Bobcats would want to bring JJ in, seeing they should have a huge fan base already waiting for him.

Absolutely!!

12 people go to bobcat games. I don't think JJ would make up for the 16,988 seats still available.