Sign in to follow this  
christophergentry110401

Howard stunned by Garnett's remarks

ORLANDO - Part heartbroken, part frustrated and part realistic, Dwight Howard didn't know how to interpret Kevin Garnett's rather harsh critique of the Orlando Magic center's progress in the NBA.

Howard grew up idolizing Garnett, doing everything from studying his game tapes to hanging a poster of the Minnesota Timberwolves star on the wall of his Atlanta home.

While the two talked cordially recently at the NBA All-Star Game, they have had their scrapes on the court. Garnett was whistled for a technical foul two years ago for shoving Howard when they wrestled for a rebound. And veteran referee Jess Kersey admonished them for wrestling and trash talking late in Sunday's game.

So maybe it was no surprise that Garnett was somewhat critical of the 21-year-old Howard, questioning his inability to add a mid-range jump shot and his propensity for turning the ball over.

Said Garnett of Howard: "Now you're going to see what kind of player Dwight wants to be and if he evolves his game into other aspects. We'll see if he starts to attack defenses differently and if he does his homework. . . . There are ways that you can make everyone else around you better and at the same time make yourself better. But he has to do his homework to evolve his game."

Howard was admittedly stunned by the critique. Said Howard: "I'm just 21 years old and I'm pretty sure nobody my age has faced double teams the way I'm seeing them now. The main thing is I know for me to reach the next level I have to keep working on my game. I'm just going to keep working hard and use these final (seven) games to show people a different Dwight than they've ever seen."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04050330/1002/SPORTS

ORLANDO - Part heartbroken, part frustrated and part realistic, Dwight Howard didn't know how to interpret Kevin Garnett's rather harsh critique of the Orlando Magic center's progress in the NBA.

Howard grew up idolizing Garnett, doing everything from studying his game tapes to hanging a poster of the Minnesota Timberwolves star on the wall of his Atlanta home.

While the two talked cordially recently at the NBA All-Star Game, they have had their scrapes on the court. Garnett was whistled for a technical foul two years ago for shoving Howard when they wrestled for a rebound. And veteran referee Jess Kersey admonished them for wrestling and trash talking late in Sunday's game.

So maybe it was no surprise that Garnett was somewhat critical of the 21-year-old Howard, questioning his inability to add a mid-range jump shot and his propensity for turning the ball over.

Said Garnett of Howard: "Now you're going to see what kind of player Dwight wants to be and if he evolves his game into other aspects. We'll see if he starts to attack defenses differently and if he does his homework. . . . There are ways that you can make everyone else around you better and at the same time make yourself better. But he has to do his homework to evolve his game."

Howard was admittedly stunned by the critique. Said Howard: "I'm just 21 years old and I'm pretty sure nobody my age has faced double teams the way I'm seeing them now. The main thing is I know for me to reach the next level I have to keep working on my game. I'm just going to keep working hard and use these final (seven) games to show people a different Dwight than they've ever seen."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04050330/1002/SPORTS

Id like to thank Mr. Kevin Garnett. This just the thing for Dwight to get fired up about and prove Garnett wrong by playing better than ever.

quote:
Originally posted by spenny:

Id like to thank Mr. Kevin Garnett. This just the thing for Dwight to get fired up about and prove Garnett wrong by playing better than ever.

I agree, I think having his idol tell him he needs to improve to ever be a great player is all the motivation D12 needs!

thanks kg, right after your comments dwight gives us an 18 point 15 boards performance, not forgetting 5 assists and 2 blocks. Although he still needs to reduce his turnovers, yet he is still young and may be the most doubled player in the league at the moment.

KG then went on the say;

" he needs to settle for jumpshots the way me and C Webb have learned to do. They may not be the best shot early in the clock, but hey, we dont turn the ball over as much."

I'm glad KG is the one who said it. No one else in the league is more likely to get Dwight's attention than him. (including anyone in the Magic organization)

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

KG then went on the say;

" he needs to settle for jumpshots the way me and C Webb have learned to do. They may not be the best shot early in the clock, but hey, we dont turn the ball over as much."

He also added "that way Dwight will never be able to carry a team and will have to settle for being Robin so someone else's Batman for the rest of his career."

In all seriousness though, I'm glad KG said what he did, and Dwight shouldn't take it as a slam on him, KG is challenging him to become a well rounded player. Not sure why he would do that to a guy that isn't on his team but whatever.

I agree Marc, but KG should worry about getting his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the 2nd time ever. He is going to go down as the biggest star/loser of all time. At least Ewing, Malone, and Barkely got their teams to the finals. I know its not all his fault, but I have seen teams with less do more.. I.E. Iverson taking his team to the finals when the 2nd best player on the team was Aaron Mackie, and his PG was Eric Snow. Gross. How did he do that?

I still don't think KG said anything that should be offensive to Dwight. He said that Dwight still has alot to work on before he will be great. Is there anyone here that really doesn't agree with that statement? I hope its a wakeup call that Dwight will use as motivation. That was probably KG's intention in the first place.

If he was well intended then he should have talked about all this in private.

Who does he think he is to talk about someone else like this?

By the way, what did Garnett and C-Web win?

NOTHING. Garnett is such a loser. He leads the NBA in efficiency every year, but can't take his team to the playoffs.

Dwight will improve and shut his big mouth.