Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Another Great Team Not Getting Attention?

SAN ANTONIO SPURS! This is not even respected as the champion on the count of ESPN analylist saying that Lakers will win it all. What a shame and yet they hold the second spot in the Western Conference and have won four championships in the past 10 years. Who has more experience in the post season...Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol? We think we've seen the Spurs now but wait till the best of 7 starts.

As the Magic sit and watch the national televised games for Phoenix, Dallas, Los Angeles, Cleveland, San Francisco (Golden State), Boston, etc. the Spurs will be doing the same...both of these teams plotting their surprise in the post season.

Reason why Spurs get no attention? They're considered by the fans and sports media as boring.

Reason why the Magic don't get attention? They're not taken seriously because of past failed seasons.

So Magic fans, let the media not give us attention please! We don't want it..and we don't really need it.

Go Orlando Magic!

SAN ANTONIO SPURS! This is not even respected as the champion on the count of ESPN analylist saying that Lakers will win it all. What a shame and yet they hold the second spot in the Western Conference and have won four championships in the past 10 years. Who has more experience in the post season...Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol? We think we've seen the Spurs now but wait till the best of 7 starts.

As the Magic sit and watch the national televised games for Phoenix, Dallas, Los Angeles, Cleveland, San Francisco (Golden State), Boston, etc. the Spurs will be doing the same...both of these teams plotting their surprise in the post season.

Reason why Spurs get no attention? They're considered by the fans and sports media as boring.

Reason why the Magic don't get attention? They're not taken seriously because of past failed seasons.

So Magic fans, let the media not give us attention please! We don't want it..and we don't really need it.

Go Orlando Magic!

Yeah that's sad.

Spurs are the reigning champion. It was a sweep last year.

But that's just the way it is.

Everyone with knowledge of the game knows what they're capable of. I see them back in the finals or the Mavs.

Jazz is another team not getting attention right now.

I think they get mentioned. They always say that they will be there, but then want to go on and on about Kobe and Gasol for 20 minutes. I equate us to the Jazz. They never bring them up and they are deserving. We are the Jazz of the East.

Irony is such a beautiful thing.

The Suns pick up Shaq so that they can match up in the playoffs with a team like the Spurs, and their victory over them the other night supports that theory.

Unfortunately for the Suns, those are the ONLY kind of teams that Shaq helps them against, so they now run the risk of losing so many regular season games to teams that are now faster, quicker and more athletic (they DID realize that they were giving away The Matrix, right?), that they may not make the playoffs at all, or certainly not get to the point where they have a favorable matchup.

They sacrificed the advantages they had so that they could become a team that is a "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none".

That is the perfect formula for mediocrity.

I really like the progression of the Magic since the all-star break. Yes, it is in many ways a by-product of the easy schedule but, last I heard, good teams are supposed to be able to take advantage of that. And we are.

There may (or may not) be 10 teams in the NBA that are better than the Magic, but no more than 2 of them are in the East, and we have proven that we can play with either team (although the Pistons have proven that they can turn it up in the playoffs; the Celtics have yet to prove that).

And, O-dub, your point about the Spurs is well-taken. These are veterans that know the difference between the regular season and the post-season.

The Hornets are another team getting similar treatment as the Magic.

Everyone talks about their star player (CP3), but no one talks about them being any sort of threat in the playoffs.

Everyone talks about our star player (D12), but no one talks about us being any sort of threat in the playoffs.

At least our conference only has 1 quality team that truly is being ignored (us), while the West has 4 (Spurs, Jazz, Hornets and Rockets).

Even I will choose not to consider the Nuggets in this conversation, as I don't think they have any better chance of getting to the Finals than the New Jersey Nets.

quote:

I actually think it's because they are both small markets. San Antonio isn't a huge city television wise. The ESPN's of the world always hype bigger cities.

That's because San Antonio is a small market. I believe smaller than Orlando. David Stern prays every year for a New York vs Lakers NBA finals. He hates that SA has dominated because no one cares about them or their normal star player in Duncan.

The Lakers tampered with Shaq during the 95-96 season and Stern looked the other way.

Stern has his hands in everything. He only helps teams that are from big markets like Ray Allen and rasheed Wallace making the all-star team.

I am also a believer that Stern staged the first ever lottery to make sure New York gets the first pick to draft Ewing.

The draft lottery is planned some years IMO. They should have the random drawing of the first 3 picks live that way I 100% believe it.

Stern is a hater of small markets.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:

I actually think it's because they are both small markets. San Antonio isn't a huge city television wise. The ESPN's of the world always hype bigger cities.

Orlando IS a big city. In fact..tourist capital of the world. Still don't get any hype. San Antonio is probably the 7th biggest city in this country...still no hype.

When I say San Antonio is the 7th biggest city, I mean in size. That place is huge!