Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

2008 Draft deep at PF:

I'm not letting Otis off the hook just yet, but I was just reviewing a half dozen or so mock drafts for next year, and it looks like this could be one of the deepest PF classes in many years.

By my calculations, there are anywhere from 7-9 PF's predicted to go in the first round.

The PF's at the bottom of the first round are being compared to Luis Scola, Paul Milsap, Troy Murphy and Reggie Evans.

Not bad at all.

I'll repeat what I said last week...I sure hope our scouts are doing their homework. Sure, names like Beasley, Lopez and Rose will get all the attention. But, players like Hanbrough, Hendrix, Anderson, and Dorsey could really help our frontcourt.

Retraction: Maybe Otis is only half retarded.

I'm not letting Otis off the hook just yet, but I was just reviewing a half dozen or so mock drafts for next year, and it looks like this could be one of the deepest PF classes in many years.

By my calculations, there are anywhere from 7-9 PF's predicted to go in the first round.

The PF's at the bottom of the first round are being compared to Luis Scola, Paul Milsap, Troy Murphy and Reggie Evans.

Not bad at all.

I'll repeat what I said last week...I sure hope our scouts are doing their homework. Sure, names like Beasley, Lopez and Rose will get all the attention. But, players like Hanbrough, Hendrix, Anderson, and Dorsey could really help our frontcourt.

Retraction: Maybe Otis is only half retarded.

Indeed Smack. This draft is going to be jam packed with PFs. Not only that, but most of the them are projected to be picked in the late 20s. We could easily get a steal this year, and instantly improve our PF position without giving up anything.

Also, how bout that Miami Heat swapping picks deal. So much for that, huh Riles?

Darrel Arthur - Kansas

Smooth big man with a scoring mentality, and very nice potential both facing and with his back to the basket. Possesses a terrific frame and wingspan, with excellent athletic ability. Scorer’s mentality, with great hands, nice touch, solid finishing ability around the rim and a beautiful turnaround jumper. Can also face up and knock down jumpers out to 17 feet. Solid defender with excellent lateral quickness. Length and quickness make him a solid presence on the offensive glass, but is a poor defensive rebounder. Not particularly active--has a tendency to coast too often. Not always 100% focused on or off the court. Poor passer. Needs to add strength. Not always productive enough. Big upside.

Tyler Hansbrough - UNC

Best player in college basketball? A beast around the basket-- relishes contact and makes a living with an incredibly soft touch and some of the best post moves seen in the NCAA. Gets to the free throw line at a superb rate. Unstoppable motor. Face-up game is coming around nicely. Lacks size, length, quickness and explosiveness, which limits him defensively, and is a bit more advanced age-wise than most players in his class. Average passer. Production will be what gets him in the top-20, more than potential.

Richard Hendrix - Alabama

Strong and fundamentally sound power forward—one of the most productive big men in college basketball. Possesses a massive frame, which he uses extremely well to carve out space in the post and score efficiently. Nice footwork and a solid jump-hook. An outstanding rebounder with terrific hands. Smart and aggressive—plays like you would expect a coach’s son to. Average athlete who plays below the rim. Still yet to show much of a face-up game from the perimeter, which he will surely need as a 6-9 power forward. Lateral quickness defending pick and rolls is questionable.

Ryan Anderson - Cal

Extremely productive big man who can score equally well with his back to the basket as facing it. Terrific touch from anywhere on the floor—an excellent 3-point shooter, with terrific potential as a pick and pop threat. Can also face up a bit and put the ball on the floor. Smart and crafty in the post, not particularly quick or explosive, but really competes and finds a way to get the job done. Solid rebounder with good hands. Basketball IQ is outstanding. Defensive potential is questionable due to average size and lateral quickness.

Joey Dorsey - Memphis

Per-minute, the best rebounder in college basketball. Built like a pile of bricks, with outstanding length and athleticism. Quick off his feet, and possesses terrific explosiveness. A force on the defensive end, picks up plenty of blocks and steals, and is extremely difficult to back down. Plays the game with tremendous intensity, and goes after every rebound. #1 in the country in FG%, but barely considered a scoring threat. Has little to no footwork and even less touch. Shoots an incredibly poor 33% from the free throw line. To his credit, Dorsey knows his limitations and has bought into his role for Memphis. Extremely advanced age-wise—what you see is likely what you get.

i'm liking dorsey. assuming we keep hedo this offseason, look for him and shard to be the main scoring threats, what we need is a big who can help dwight rebound and block shots. i don't think we need a scoring PF, just a defensive beast and this guy sounds like he fits the bill.....comments?

It's a long shot, but a guy like Arthur or even Brook Lopez (highly doubt it though), could fall in the draft. Then again, this isn't the NFL draft, where a guy projected to be a top 5 pick, falls to the late first round.