Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

JJ Not Here For Long - Redick Bides Time On Bench For Magic (Central Florida News 13)

quote:
That depends on your point of view, whcih, by the way, largely drives your opinion as well.

So the media has no correlation with the NBA and it's players? Please, echo, you're going no where with this. It's not my "opinion" that the media covers the NBA and it's players, it's mere fact.

It would be one thing if JJ was acting like a jerk to the media, calling out Stan in a disorderly fashion. He didn't. Therefore he was professional about it, as he has been in the past with everything.

quote:
Originally posted by allstarme:

I hated JJ Redick when he played for Duke, and I was whispering, "Don't take Redick" over and over during the draft right up until the Magic made him their pick. That said, I am 100% in JJ's corner on this.

If I'm him, here's what I'm thinking every second of every day.

"I had one of the most heralded college careers EVER. I have more NCAA and Duke records than I can even count. I'm arguably the best amateur shooter of all time.

"Besides that DUI right before the draft, there have never been any questions about my character. I have never been an oft injured guy. The back thing was a first, and the foot thing was a fluke. I'm fine now and will be for the foreseeable future.

"I was drafted by a team with a losing record in the lottery. Having spent four years in college, no one can make the argument that I was drafted strictly as a 'project.' I fit all of the qualifications of 'ready to play from day one.'

"The only knocks on me are my defense and my lack of athleticism -- two things that should not, on the Orlando Magic, disqualify me from playing time. Point guards and shooting guards routinely have career games against the guys we put on the floor. And my lack of athleticism takes nothing away from the one thing I do best -- shoot.

"The Magic had a need to fill when they entered the draft in 2006. They drafted me, and told me I was the best qualified player to fill that need. Almost two years later, they still have that need, and I'm still the same player that I was. There was a promise made, and it was broken. I'm pissed off every time I put on a Magic jersey. Absolutely."

Again... I don't think anyone would argue with you about the position JJ is in at this point. The Magic had a specific need when they drafted JJ, they no longer have that need, and he is the odd man out. It sucks, no doubt, but tht doesn't mean that we, as fans, have to like teh way he handles the situation.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

quote:
That depends on your point of view, whcih, by the way, largely drives your opinion as well.

So the media has no correlation with the NBA and it's players? Please, echo, you're going no where with this. It's not my "opinion" that the media covers the NBA and it's players, it's mere fact.

It would be one thing if JJ was acting like a jerk to the media, calling out Stan in a disorderly fashion. He didn't. Therefore he was professional about it, as he has been in the past with everything.

lol.. why are you still replying if this 'thread is won, and all other replies are void?

quote:

Almost two years later, they still have that need, and I'm still the same player that I was. There was a promise made, and it was broken. I'm pissed off every time I put on a Magic jersey. Absolutely."

We don't have that need. We are top 5 in the league in scoring. We've got shooters everywhere. We are doing fine offensively without him.

I actually still think it was the right pick at the time. We needed an outside threat. But if defense is the big hang up, why did we draft him in the first place? Why didn't we trade him? The management for this franchise is just complete garbage.

I have no clue what kind of player JJ will turn out to be, but I do know Otis, or whoever, has botched this situation.

Still the right pick????

Everytime a coach, GM, analyst, expert talk, they say you gotta hustle and play defense. If that's the case, then as mentioed before why draft a 1 dimensional player in the lottery???

Here's some info to ponder on players drafted in 06 and their PER this year:

http://www.nba.com/draft2006/board.html

11. Orlando Magic J.J. Redick, Guard, Duke

14. Utah Jazz Ronnie Brewer, Guard, Arkansas

21. Phoenix Suns (from L.A. Lakers) Rajon Rondo, Guard, Kentucky (to Boston)

23. New Jersey Nets Josh Boone, Forward, Connecticut

26. L.A. Lakers (from Miami) Jordan Farmar, Guard, UCLA

36. Minnesota Timberwolves (from Boston) Craig Smith, Foward, Boston College

41. Orlando Magic James Augustine, Forward, Illinois

42. Cleveland Cavaliers (from Philadelphia) Daniel Gibson, Guard, Texas

47. Utah Jazz Paul Millsap, Forward, Louisiana Tech

49. Denver Nuggets Leon Powe, Forward, California (to Boston)

---Here's a sampling of Hollinger's Player Statistics, (PER):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&ac...llinger%2fstatistics

34. Leon Powe, BOS 19.54

51. Ronnie Brewer, UTH 18.18

85. Paul Millsap, UTH 16.39

86. Craig Smith, MIN 16.39

93. Jordan Farmar, LAL 16.09

110. Rajon Rondo, BOS 15.55

133. 133 Josh Boone, NJN 14.59

186. Daniel Gibson, CLE 12.86

J.J. Redick 11.63

James Augustine 9.58

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Again... I don't think anyone would argue with you about the position JJ is in at this point. The Magic had a specific need when they drafted JJ, they no longer have that need, and he is the odd man out. It sucks, no doubt, but tht doesn't mean that we, as fans, have to like teh way he handles the situation.

I agree with you. The professional thing to do is to keep this business in house. I was just saying there is no fault in the way he feels, and in the fight of Redick vs. Magic, the Magic lose.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

quote:

Now you are putting words in my mouth to support your argument...

What the phrase 'going to the media' entails, with regards to acting within the bounds of professionalism as an NBA player is what we are discussing.

No one said the comments that JJ made were unprofesional so you can stop your twisting of words to suit your argument as well. It is the act, in an of itself, that I am referring to. Voicing his complaint about his situation in the public eye, as far as I am concerned, is unprofessional. Period.

You can argue this until you are blue in the face, but you can't tell me I am wrong becuase my opinion differs from yours. What you can do is try to make a valid point to counter my position, but you have yet to do so effectively.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

I agree with you. The professional thing to do is to keep this business in house. I was just saying there is no fault in the way he feels, and in the fight of Redick vs. Magic, the Magic lose.

Agreed all the way around allstarme.

Mongoose, I think I will second your proposal that allstarme 'wins' this thread (it was a competition). You seem to agree with allstar, and allstar and I agree... so whats the problem?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Almost two years later, they still have that need, and I'm still the same player that I was. There was a promise made, and it was broken. I'm pissed off every time I put on a Magic jersey. Absolutely."

We don't have that need. We are top 5 in the league in scoring. We've got shooters everywhere. We are doing fine offensively without him.

I agree with you junkie. What I don't understand is why Otis didn't work out a trade involving JJ and others for a position that we desperately need??? Otis is a goat that can't admit to his mistakes. And that includes Jameer's contract.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

I disagree with that. I don't think the need was for perimeter shooting, which I think you do. We obviously have more perimeter shooting than we did two years ago. I think the need was for effective play from the shooting guard position. I realize it's just my opinion, but I still feel the Magic have that need.