Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

" THE REACTION "...Post Game Reactions***Raptors vs Magic

Magic: Nelson, Others Need to Establish Roles

----------

By Jarrod Rudolph

for HOOPSWORLD.com

Apr 2, 2007, 18:46

The Orlando Magic players need to establish their roles on this team, starting with the talented Jameer Nelson.

Grant Hill has to be the leader, Dwight Howard is the franchise, Keyon Dooling is the hard-nosed defensive player, and Nelson is the point guard.

With the game on the line it wasn

T.J. Ford scares me...

Bosh-32 pts. 13 reb.

Ford-16 pts. 12 ***.

Howard-21 pts. 12 reb.

Hill-19 pts.

Raptors 102

Magic 93

Hope i'm wrong, but we suck against Toronto...

I really hope your wrong Kberto let them play up to their competition like they usually do plus Dwight is playing against his good friend Bosh and they should be determined to win they are losing the series 0-3.

Plus Dwight not getting 20 pts he is not part of the offense anymore. Magic 100 Raptors 95

By ANTHONY GIORNALISTA, STATS Senior Writer

The Toronto Raptors' magic number for clinching the Atlantic Division is three. With the way Chris Bosh usually plays against the Orlando Magic, they may have a good chance to further decrease that number.

Bosh and the Raptors look to sweep the season series with the Magic for the first time in franchise history when the teams meet Wednesday night.

Toronto (41-33) had a chance to move closer to clinching the Atlantic, but lost 92-89 at Miami on Tuesday night. The Raptors' magic number remained at three over idle New Jersey, which hosts Atlanta on Wednesday.

"We got the ball to the people we want to get the ball to and sometimes you win them and sometimes you come up short," Toronto coach Sam Mitchell said. "We got the things we were looking for, so I have no complaints."

Bosh had 24 points and 11 rebounds to lead Toronto. Two of his highest scoring games this season have been against Orlando (34-40). He recorded a career-high 41 points in a 113-103 Raptors win on Feb. 7, and a game-high 34 in a 92-85 victory on March 21.

Bosh missed the first meeting between the teams - a 91-84 Toronto victory on Dec. 13 - because of a bruised left knee.

The Raptors held the Magic to 90.7 points per game and 41.9 percent shooting in the three games, putting them in position to sweep the season series for the first time in their 12-year history.

Toronto has lost three of its last four on the road, though, scoring less than 90 points in each of those losses.

Orlando has dropped two its last three games overall, although both of the losses came in overtime. The Magic are one-half game behind the Nets for seventh place in the Eastern Conference.

Jameer Nelson had a driving layup blocked with less than five seconds left in Sunday night's overtime period, as Orlando lost 105-104 to Minnesota.

"It's frustrating, it's frustrating," said Nelson, who had a season-high eight assists in the defeat. "We had our opportunities."

Grant Hill scored 23 points, Trevor Ariza had 18, and Darko Milicic finished with 18 points and 10 rebounds for the Magic.

Hill is averaging 21.7 points while shooting 53.5 percent from the floor in his last three games. He had 24 points in the March 21 loss to the Raptors.

Dwight Howard, facing double and triple teams, had only eight points against the Timberwolves, continuing his recent offensive struggles. He is averaging 10.0 points - 7.5 below his season average - over his last five games.

Howard, though, had 19 rebounds Sunday and is averaging 13.1 boards in his last 12 contests.

Bosh will face Howard again in a matchup of two of the NBA's best young power forwards. Howard is averaging 22.0 points and 11.3 rebounds in three games against the Raptors this season.

Team Comparison

Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Toronto 41-33 1st Atlantic / 3rd East 99.2 98.4 Road 14-23 Lost 1 6-4

Orlando 34-40 3rd Southeast / 8th East 93.9 94.3 Home 22-15 Lost 1 5-5

Toronto Notes

Apr 2 Toronto is now 27-10 at home...The 27 home wins tie a franchise record (2000-01). Toronto has averaged 50 rebounds/game over the last four home games and has won those games by an average of 104-89...In the past three first halves, Toronto has scored 183 points and shot 55% from the field...Toronto's 17 offensive boards tied a season high (Dec. 17 - Golden St.)...For the second time in as many home games, six Raptors registered double-digit point totals...Bargnani missed his sixth straight game, but sat on the bench in a suit for the first time since having the surgery...The Raptors now visit Miami, Orlando and Philadelphia.

st 04-02-07 2:18 et

Orlando Notes

Apr 1 Darko Milicic tallied his sixth double-double of the season with 18 points and 10 rebounds vs. Minnesota and Dwight Howard had 19 rebounds in 39 minutes of play. ... Orlando played in front of their 22nd sellout of this season Sunday. ... The Orlando bench outscored the Minnesota bench 56-18 in the loss. The Magic's record when outscoring or tying their opponent's bench os 24-22. ... Jameer Nelson had a season high eight assists in the loss.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2007040419

Pals and Rivals - Orlando Sentinel

This is like trying to decide which vacation home in Hawaii would you rather own -- the mountainside palace on Kauai or the beachfront estate on Maui.

There is no bad choice.

Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard are the two best young big men in the Eastern Conference -- both budding all-stars with freakish athletic skills and incredible potential -- but they play radically different games.

It's a rivalry of contrasts just waiting to happen.

Bosh and his Toronto Raptors (41-32) will play Howard and his Magic (34-40) tonight at Amway Arena, providing another glimpse of how different big men can be in the evolving NBA.

Howard is power and force. Bosh is polish and finesse. Both are centerpieces to long-term championship hopes.

"He's more of a traditional low-post player. I'm a new-wave post player,'' Bosh said before his Raptors played in Miami on Tuesday night. "He's big and strong and a dominant guy around the basket. I try and go outside to use my quickness to move and dominate.''

Bosh, 23, is in his fourth NBA season after one year at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Howard, 21, is in his third season after coming directly from high school in Atlanta. Bosh was a No. 4 pick, Howard a No. 1.

"I always thought in the back of my mind [during high school] that we would be really good playing together,'' Howard said. "But I think now we both really like playing against each other.''

Bosh and Howard spent considerable time together this summer with the USA Basketball Team at the World Championship, where they forged a friendship that may have ignited a rivalry. They were teammates again on the Eastern Conference all-star team, sharing tales of lost innocence.

"Where I come from [in Dallas], you play your hardest, your best games against your friends,'' Bosh said. "Dwight's a good guy. Our rivalry will be good for everyone. You're always looking at your rival, comparing yourself. And if you know he's in the gym working out all the time, you better be there, too.''

Toronto has beaten the Magic all three times this season, although Bosh played in only two of those. Both times, he won the individual battle, but they were particularly impressive together in one of those.

Bosh had a season-high 41 points and eight rebounds in a 113-103 victory in February. Howard countered with 32 points and nine rebounds, making 13 of his 14 field goal attempts that night.

Bosh scored mostly on midrange jumpers. Howard scored repeatedly on thunderous dunks. Last month, Bosh had 34 points and 16 rebounds against Orlando. Howard had 17 points and 12 rebounds and Orlando lost again.

Bosh, 6 feet 10, 230 pounds, is considerably more skilled and polished at this stage of his career. Howard is much stronger and forceful around the basket. Howard plays exclusively at center. Bosh is more of a power forward who sometimes plays center.

Bosh can't guard Howard around the basket. And Howard can't guard Bosh when he moves away from the basket. Bosh mostly will help on double teams against Howard. Bosh will be guarded mostly by Tony Battie or Darko Milicic tonight.

"Both can dominate a game, but in totally different ways,'' said Raptors Coach Sam Mitchell on Tuesday. "I'd hate to have to make a choice between those two, but if you put both names in a hat, closed your eyes and drew one name out, you'd be happy with whatever name came out.''

Bosh, the NBA Player of the Week, is averaging 22.7 points, 10.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks, while shooting 50 percent from the field. Howard is averaging 17.5 and 12.2 rebounds, shooting 59.9 percent from the field.

"There's no question, they're already two of the best players in the league,'' Magic Coach Brian Hill said. "But they're just so different. It's hard to compare.''

Howard came into the league being compared to Charlotte's Emeka Okafor, who was picked right behind him in the draft. Although those two play more alike, the rivalry with Bosh may become more intriguing in coming years, especially if the teams are playoff successful..

Neither Bosh nor Howard even has been in a playoff game, but both already are viewed as the foundation of their respective franchises. The Magic are hoping that Howard becomes Shaquille O'Neal. The Raptors want Bosh to be a cross between Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan.

The Raptors already have clinched a playoff spot. The Magic still are battling to earn one. Winning a playoff series will be the key to one of them taking the next step in acclaim.

"I think they're both great young players,'' Heat Coach Pat Riley said Tuesday. "If you go back and look at the past 20 years, you'll find that 70 percent of the teams that won championships had that low-post presence.

"Both of those teams are in good position. Is he [Howard] a dominant low post scorer? We'll have to find that out in due time.''

Tim Povtak can be reached at tpovtak@orlandosentinel.com.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

Scouting Report - Tim Povtak

WHERE: Amway Arena.

RECORDS: Raptors 41-33, Magic 34-40.

BROADCAST: TV -- Sun Sports; Radio -- 580 AM (WDBO); Spanish-language 1030 AM (WONQ).

MAGIC UPDATE: Magic returned to practice Tuesday and spent considerable time working on late-game offensive execution, which was a huge problem in Sunday's loss to Minnesota. Dwight Howard also worked on his passing out of double teams and avoiding turnovers. They have eight games remaining and they will need an estimated four more victories to assure themselves a playoff spot. They currently are resting at No. 8, just ahead of Indiana and New York.

RAPTORS UPDATE: They played Tuesday night in Miami and dropped a 92-89 decision to the Heat. They went into the game tied with Detroit for the best record in the East (28-14) since Jan. 1. Toronto won only 27 games last season and has made huge strides since a slow start. The Raptors are playing without rookie forwards Andrea Bargnani (appendectomy) and Jorge Garbajosa (left ankle), who both were contributing significantly to their team's success this season.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Chris Bosh has had two huge games against the Magic this season. The Magic will try a variety of people against him. The Raptors, like the Timberwolves did Sunday, will come quickly with the double team defense against Howard, forcing the ball from his hands. Watch to see if they start playing Carlos Arroyo again at point guard. He hasn't played much lately, but he has played well when he has gotten an opportunity.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...story?coll=orl-magic

This will be a great evening for me.

2 of my 3 favorite teams (3rd is Utah) will be playing.

6 players of my Y! Fantasy Team will be on the court tonight;

TJ Ford, Jose Calderon, Anthony Parker, Andrea Bargnani from Raptors and Hedo Turkoglu & Dwight Howard from Magics.

I'm expecting a good performance from all my fantasy players, except for Bargnani who had an operation (Apendectomy) and out for season.

Last time the 2 teams played, Raptors were missing Parker,Calderon and Bargnani and still managed to win 92-85.

Since then Parker and Calderon are back but the other Spaniard, Garbajosa is out with ankle injury.

As over-all performance there is no question that the Raptors are the better side but given the injuries, and Magics' fight for the last Play-off spot, I'm expecting this to be a very tough and close game.

The Official "Guess how many points Chris Bosh scores on us" Post.

I say he puts up a Kobe-esque 51 points to go along with 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 5 assists and 2 posterizing dunks.

quote:
Watch to see if they start playing Carlos Arroyo again at point guard. He hasn't played much lately, but he has played well when he has gotten an opportunity.

Only if B. Hill goes on a Peyote trip and/or if Jameer gets Salmonella, so nothing to watch there....