Sign in to follow this  
MagicJED

Which UFA should we target with MLE?

PG(who can make plays and good on D), maggette, shard, milsap, D12 --> turk and jameer off the bench

i think this would be nice...

People still saying point guard position needs to be filled eh.......Jameer is here to stay my fellow forum members.

Most of the players are either worth FAR more than the MLE, or aren't worth the MLE. So we could probably get two of those players by splitting the MLE.

But Jamison is settling for the MLE the same day I win the award for "person most likely to be having a 4 way with Scarlett Johannson, Natalie Portman, and Gisele."

But seriously...

I hope we have an MLE to work with. Right now, we have $54.9 million locked up in player salary. That's below the $55,630,000 for 2007-08. It's safe to assume the cap is going to raise. If we pull the team options on Redick, Foyle and Gortat then we're at $58,968,000. It all depends on how much the cap raises going into the 2008 season.

But if we're below the cap, then that's it. No MLE.

However, looking forward to this summer. Let's assume we have the MLE (with Fran signing that could be enough to make it).

I think back up PG and SG are the realistic needs.

For those screaming PF, we'll have Battie back next year which is a huge piece to the puzzle.

Look at next season:

Jameer / _______

_______ / Redick / Bogans

Rashard / Hedo (could possibly play SG - but not a long term solution)

Battie / Cook / Fran? / Augie

Howard / Foyle

Rashard could play a little PF and Hedo could play a little SG. By no means is that their natural positions, but it could work depending on match ups.

Finally, of those on the list, you can cross off Antwan Jamison, Ricky Davis, Corey Maggette, Beno Udrih and Paul Milsap. Those players will be paid more than the MLE.

Milsap, Maggette, Duhon, Diop.

I don't mean we get them all, but whichever position we address, those are the guys I'd love to have, realistic or not.

As to what position we need to the fill the most? I still say PF, regardless of the Fran Vasquez situation and Tony Battie.