Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Sure-Fire Way for Otis to be Canned

Otis is halfway there... Otis should go ahead and "step into the light" because, as Barkley said:

quote:
If you see a bright light, that's a train comin' for ya!

Can we all agree that this offseason is the end of Otis' rope? If we bomb in the playoffs and if Otis ends the offseason with essentially the same roster and says "I like what we've got", will everyone stop giving this guy the benefit of the doubt?

quote:
Originally posted by kwizzle29:

If otis is canned, who do you think is his potential replacement?

Pat Williams?

Jerry West?

Dennis Lindsey? (Assistant GM for San Antonio Spurs)

Alan Ostfield? (CEO and Assistnat GM of the Pistons)

Brian Colangelo?

Anyone other than Otis Smith or Isiah Thomas

How's that for a start?

Here is my theory on why Otis did nothing before the trade deadline. For the Magic to trade multiple expiring contracts they would get be getting a player with 1-2 years left on his contract, at 8-10 mil per year. With Rashard's contract and Dwight and Jameer's new deals kicking in next season they just can't take another big contract on. By doing it this way they can try keeping most of this team together by resigning Dooling, Bogans and Evans at the same or maybe a little less than what they are making now. I don't see any of those 3 getting pay raises, so Otis might think it wouldn't be difficult to get them to resign this summer. This summer I think they will try to get another big to help Dwight next year and Hedo will be the bait. It would have been too risky and unpopular to trade Hedo now.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

SmackDaddy, if we bomb in the playoffs, you don't think Otis will be given the summer and next season to try and work things out if he doesn't make a move now?

This has nothing to do with what I think. This is what I heard from one of the highest ranking Magic executives.

However, it is very possible that Otis may be able to sell ownership on giving him one more season (although it would be on a very short leash).

You guys need to realize that it's isn't every day that franchises find themselves among the elite teams in their division. Even with an improved squad next year, there's no guarantee they are top 3 again. Injuries, other team improvements, etc, can easily impact a season negatively.

The Magic are "this" close, and don't need much at all to get over the hump THIS YEAR.

This is what I'm telling those fools on RealGM. The future is NOW. We are a jump shooting team and nothing more. When the shots fall we are pretty darn good, however we know that in playoffs everything comes down to half court and defense. We have neither. Next year we can be this years Bulls, who all lost their jumpshots in the same year. We are so close yet so far because of Blowtis. He has no guts, plus he surely can't evaluate talent. How much is tied up in Jameer and Shard? Argggh.