Sign in to follow this  
DarkoHero

Please explain why Battie is Starting over Darko!

quote:

Because we won a game with Battie in the starting lineup and Napoleon is short sighted.

Battie's been playing with more hop in his step since he returned from injury. But, I would argue that energy would fit very well with unit off the bench.

I still disagree with the sentiments presented by some Darko supporters regarding how he should be used. Darko has a lot of potential in the post and it would be a huge mistake not to develop it. The intriguing aspect of having a front court of Howard & Darko is that at least one will enjoy a big mismatch in the post almost every night. Darko has to be able to exploit this.

I agree Napoleon should not limit him to being a post player. Darko shows a lot of potential in the pick & pop and high/low game. But, his shot selection needs to improve dramatically.

A lot of big men have outside ability, that doesn't mean they should ignore their ability in the post. The NBA is full of players who settle for too many jump shots. I agree with developing Darko's inside game, I also agree his outside game should be developed better.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

quote:

Because we won a game with Battie in the starting lineup and Napoleon is short sighted.

Battie's been playing with more hop in his step since he returned from injury. But, I would argue that energy would fit very well with unit off the bench.

I still disagree with the sentiments presented by some Darko supporters regarding how he should be used. Darko has a lot of potential in the post and it would be a huge mistake not to develop it. The intriguing aspect of having a front court of Howard & Darko is that at least one will enjoy a big mismatch in the post almost every night. Darko has to be able to exploit this.

I agree Napoleon should not limit him to being a post player. Darko shows a lot of potential in the pick & pop and high/low game. But, his shot selection needs to improve dramatically.

A lot of big men have outside ability, that doesn't mean they should ignore their ability in the post. The NBA is full of players who settle for too many jump shots. I agree with developing Darko's inside game, I also agree his outside game should be developed better.

My biggest gripe is pretty much what you've said here, Gabe. Developing his post game was very necessary, and I wish Dwight would do what Darko did last night, which is making his move in the post as soon as he receives the ball. It was very effective for Darko, and could limit turnovers.

The problem I have with all that is that it was done at the expense of Darko's outside shot. Both should've been developed equally. If Darko had the consistent outside shot, it would be a huge help with spacing.

Every sports writer in America has been unable to explain why a career backup continues to start when his outplayed on a regular basis by a guy 10 years younger who has a huge upside.

At this point I can't figure out why Hedo is still starting over Ariza either.

I don't I have ever been so baffled by a coach.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Every sports writer in America has been unable to explain why a career backup continues to start when his outplayed on a regular basis by a guy 10 years younger who has a huge upside.

At this point I can't figure out why Hedo is still starting over Ariza either.

I don't I have ever been so baffled by a coach.

A guy 10 years younger with a huge upside who's value we've not been able to truly assess because of his inconsistent PT, and who we have to decide if we'll want to resign and for how long at the end of the season, while the career backup we're starting is already locked into a 4 year contract.

quote:
Originally posted by mire:

ok how many times do I say this

darko was forced in the post with our national team because he was the best at that position

but

but, he also had freedom to shoot

which he did at the start of the tournament and wasn't successfull at

maybe he just needed time to develop that shot

but our coach believed in him, unlike the magic brass...

Which reminds me, (sry to be going off topic) did Serbia find a true center yet so that Darko can slide to PF. And is Peja going to be able to play?

Its because Darko has been banged up for one, and the other is that he is inconsistent at times. He will have a great game like last night, then he will have a game where you doubt if we should sign him long term.

For Tony we know he isnt going to bring the house down, but what he does bring he brings it every night, so he is consistent.

Dont get me wrong I would love to Have Darko start and play beside Howard, but i know he has plent of time to get to be the player we need. I t wont be too long before he is a full time starter.

I would like to see Darko develop that jump shot into a 80% shot though. He could be very deadly....

I feel the team is putting darko down by starting battie and thats one of the reasons darko is incossistent

not to mention guards not passing

@magic31, we have true centers but they are not good icon_wink.gif thats why darko will prob agin play at C

he might slide to PF if Krstic was up to play...

I don't expect injured Peja to play either...

Milicic back in the days in euro ball was only a 17 y'o player but had already had 2 years of pro-ball under his belt.If i compare him to someone back then i would say he reminded abit of a young Kukoc,speed and quickness of olajuwon & D.Robinson.He didn't play in the post mostly,he was allowed to shoot even euro threes.But the biggest thing i noticed 1st about Darko as a player back then was his laterall quickness and speed for a big man.He seems to lost alot of that speed and quickness in the nba compared to his euro days.If Darko was allowed to stay in europe for a few more years he would of developed into a Sabonis type player,someone who could shoot,pass,rebound,block shots.I don't think he's improved that much by sitting on the bench his 1st 3 years in detroit.As for the national team,he will play center untill Nenad Krstic recovers from injury.And finally,if Darko keeps playing under coach Hill i don't think he will improve much more,he needs a Hubie Brown,Don Nelson type coach who will let him play through his mistakes.The sky is the limit for Darko i beleive he could be a top 5 big man in the nba in a few years if he's deditacted enough.How many big men in the nba have Darko's potential,not many.

I agree...Darko is an amazing athelete...

a couple of comments ...was I the only one sorry to see him put on that weight last summer? He may not be as lithe.

with that said, his pick and roll coverage on the Twins guard (Roy?) was very impressive...know any other 7 footers in the league who can cover 1's and 5's?

one key area for "athletic performance" improvement would be to develop better core strength leading to more explosive play, better vertical especially under the basket ....do the Magic have an "athletic performance" coach (as distinguished from a trainer) as do the Lakers , Warriors, Sonics, and other teams with remarkable strength and speed improvement e.g. Collison, Walton, B. Cook etc ?