Sign in to follow this  
mongoose

The official "Brian Cook is pathetic; play Redick" thread

wow you people are ridiculous, why don't you look at his original post and actually think about it. Obviously he is not dumb enough to think Redick can play PF. The way i see it is if we can have Brian Cook out there playing "defense" or whatever you want to call what he does on the defensive end and then jacking up 3 pointers every time he gets a chance then why the hell can't we have one of the best shooters in the NBA out there shooting 3's? Brian Cook is a waste of size. go ahead and praise Cook for his game against Boston because the chances of him having another game like that the rest of his career are slim haha.

quote:
The italicized paragraph is what I have a problem with. You're saying that people are wrong by suggesting that Cook and Redick play different positions.

Well, per your suggestion I did indeed check myself, and it turns out that they do actually play different positions.

But the point I'm making, is that they don't play different positions. On offense, JJ works the perimeter and shoots threes. Does anything about Cook's offensive game differ? And on defense, like I said, there is no position. It's all about matchups.

So when a guy (like Redick) comes off the bench and plays the EXACT SAME WAY someone else does (like Cook), then their minutes are basically inter-changable.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian_Cook_Phan:

I thought Cook played pretty tough tonight against Dirk.

I hope JJ gets some meaningful PT soon so us Cook fans can rip on him.

At least he's gone a while since getting a DUI!! Good job JJ!!

btw Duke SUCKS!!!!

Real smart post. What does your feelings about Duke have to do with anything here? And what the hell are you talking about on the DUI thing? You can't think of anything logical so you post garbage.

Is it just me, or does mongoose's explanation sound like Matt Goukas? Talking about no positions and everything being about matchups.

If you want to argue size, then there has been a 6' 9" player at every position. I remember a 6' 9" PG named Magic Johnson, and he was okay.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

quote:
The italicized paragraph is what I have a problem with. You're saying that people are wrong by suggesting that Cook and Redick play different positions.

Well, per your suggestion I did indeed check myself, and it turns out that they do actually play different positions.

But the point I'm making, is that they don't play different positions. On offense, JJ works the perimeter and shoots threes. Does anything about Cook's offensive game differ? And on defense, like I said, there is no position. It's all about matchups.

So when a guy (like Redick) comes off the bench and plays the EXACT SAME WAY someone else does (like Cook), then their minutes are basically inter-changable.

You've repeated yourself yet again without answering the question I asked. Since you don't like talking about positions, I'll ask again in a different way.

Switching Redick and Cook with no other changes being made, who defends the guy Cook would normally defend?

bravlady dont let youself get drawn in to this nonsense by people who obviously get their kicks by baiting jj fans. i am a huge jj fan but i am also realistic and there has to be more to his not playing than we are aware of. i wish he would get a chance to play in orlando so all of us could know for sure if he can find a spot in the nba. my thoughts are that the magic have given up on him for whatever reson and he will be traded. if he was in the plan he would play. this crap about dues or whatever means nothing. if you can play it does not matter if it 's you first year or 15th. the nba is a business first and money talks nothing else. jacklj

This....

quote:

quote:
If you're going to throw out a blatant insult like that, at least back it up with facts. Please, tell us why we are all retarded.

Well if anyone actually read what I wrote, it blatantly explained why I'm not saying Redick should play PF, but rather, the MINUTES that Cook is getting. And yet I still get responses like this:

quote:
This from the guy suggesting JJ play at the PF slot... lmao

So, if you're wondering why I call you people retarded, there's your "blatant" proof.

Followed by this....

quote:

Has this 'retard' dumbfounded. I'm calling a spade a spade, you call it what you will, but you offer no other tweak to the lineup other than replacing Cook with JJ, then you are askign JJ to play the PF 'minutes'.

A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet...

quote:
Switching Redick and Cook with no other changes being made, who defends the guy Cook would normally defend?

Seriously? I really need to explain that?

Okay, I will, sadly.

Let's say the lineup is the starting lineup Arroyo, Evans, Hedo, Rashard, Howard.

You're saying that when Cook comes in, he's replacing Rashard because he's a "PF"...

But if you put Redick in for Rashard, your new "PF" is Hedo, and you now have a lineup of Arroyo, Evans, Hedo, Redick, and Howard... but for your sake, I'll list the names like this:

Arroyo

Redick

Evans

Hedo

Howard

Where Hedo would now defend who Rashard used to defend, Evans on Hedo's old guy, Redick on Evan's old guy.

Is it that hard to figure out? Wow.

quote:

quote:

Seriously? I really need to explain that?

Okay, I will, sadly.

Let's say the lineup is the starting lineup Arroyo, Evans, Hedo, Rashard, Howard.

You're saying that when Cook comes in, he's replacing Rashard because he's a "PF"...

But if you put Redick in for Rashard, your new "PF" is Hedo, and you now have a lineup of Arroyo, Evans, Hedo, Redick, and Howard... but for your sake, I'll list the names like this:

Arroyo

Redick

Evans

Hedo

Howard

Where Hedo would now defend who Rashard used to defend, Evans on Hedo's old guy, Redick on Evan's old guy.

Is it that hard to figure out? Wow.

My brain hurts.

So we have three undersized guys on the court? The reason Cook gets minutes is because he brings us size. Doesn't matter what you might think of him as a player, but he is a 6' 9" POWER FORWARD. Redick is a guard. We don't need a guard. We have a rotation of guards. We have Nelson, Arroyo, Dooling, Evans, Bogans. But for your sake, I'll list it like this:

Nelson

Arroyo

Dooling

Evans

Bogans

This is our "big man rotation":

Dwight

Foyle

Hedo

Shard

Cook

Get it?!?!?!?!??!?!? Please!?!?!

quote:
So we have three undersized guys on the court? The reason Cook gets minutes is because he brings us size. Doesn't matter what you might think of him as a player, but he is a 6' 9" POWER FORWARD.

But Cook sucks. Did the Mavs last night care about going with a small lineup? No. Why? Because it beat us. Your so caught up with size and positions that you don't even know who's good at basketball anymore. I know this much: Redick is better than Cook. Where he plays, it does not matter, but he deserves Cook's minutes.

quote:

quote:
So we have three undersized guys on the court? The reason Cook gets minutes is because he brings us size. Doesn't matter what you might think of him as a player, but he is a 6' 9" POWER FORWARD.

But Cook sucks. Did the Mavs last night care about going with a small lineup? No. Why? Because it beat us. Your so caught up with size and positions that you don't even know who's good at basketball anymore. I know this much: Redick is better than Cook. Where he plays, it does not matter, but he deserves Cook's minutes.

You know this... so this is fact? If this is fact, and SVG is not playing JJ, then you are a better judge of talent than SVG, or SVG has something against JJ. Which is it?