Sign in to follow this  
ma

The real Statistics

I wanted to start this thread because I see a lot of folks (including Van Gundy) talk about stats in a religious way. I believe the stats can be very misleading. Here are a couple of examples to support my theory:

1- Arroyo has very low TO per game

Can the reason be that he holds the ball until 7 seconds left to shoot, and then passes, so the next guy actually commits the turnover?

2- Dooling is the best scorer off the bench

Is it possible that the reason he has high PPG is that he doesn't pass the ball. His role in the team is to be the point guard and pass the ball, isn't it? In fact, shouldn't all the point guards have a high statistics in Assists per game?

Please add some other examples if you agree with me.

MA

I wanted to start this thread because I see a lot of folks (including Van Gundy) talk about stats in a religious way. I believe the stats can be very misleading. Here are a couple of examples to support my theory:

Can the reason be that he holds the ball until 7 seconds left to shoot, and then passes, so the next guy actually commits the turnover?

Is it possible that the reason he has high PPG is that he doesn't pass the ball. His role in the team is to be the point guard and pass the ball, isn't it? In fact, shouldn't all the point guards have a high statistics in Assists per game?

MA

Very true, I said recently that when they make their shots they look like good shots, but its when they miss them you see how bad the shots really are, both are chuckers , Dooling is just a blatant chucker, he is good on defense though.

quote:
Originally posted by Hutchence:

how do you talk about stats in a religious way?

That the 3 shot that Hedo made was his 666th in his career?

quote:
Originally posted by Doa:

quote:

seriously? if so, interesting.

When I say "religious", I mean that you are analyzing the performance of players based on stats. That is a fundamentally flawed approach in my opinion.

MA

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Doa:

quote:

seriously? if so, interesting.

Hehe, no.

But I just checked and he had 629 before this game, close but no.

Hedo15, welcome, too.

The bottom line is wins and losses. IMHO, Los and Dooling are career back-up pgs and best in that role. I actually like Dooling's game for what it is, slashing, energy and defense. Los' game is confusing b/c it is so erratic. Some nights he looks like Nash, other nights he looks like Ty Lue (which ain't a compliment) or the bad Steve-O.

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

MA

You are right!! Here I have one stat for you that is so overrated:

Magic record with Arroyo/Dooling PG Combination: 6 wins and 1 loss, 2 of those wins against the other 2 division leaders in the East.

Some of those winnings are not that important because we won by a small margin. In the case of Detroit, we won by a game-winning shot that touched the backboard glass and in the case of the Celtics, we won because Kevin Garnett didn't play for Boston. Everybody knows that...