Sign in to follow this  
Jagsfreak27

Magic Going All In For Chris Paul's Backup?

i like a deal for bledsoe and butler for afflalo, the way I enjoy a nice cold coca-cola from, say, a vending machine. reasonable and convenient. But when we talk about future firsts, nicholson etc, it starts to feel like buying a coke at disney world.

K.

But in basketball terms, Nicholson is highly expendable and a 2015 protected pick is only theoretical value.

We'd be getting a talented young PG and getting rid of AA's contract. Getting rid of AA's contract alone should be considered a huge win.

i think people look at the deals one off. nicholson and that "theoretical value' pick are assets. rob is a good gm because he looks down the road and stacks and staggers the assets available because it's nice to have tools in the toolbox when needed. mcbob to essentially renew a TPE is an example of rob keeping the toolbox stocked in a "boring" way. throwing away nicholson and a pick for bledsoe seems slightly otis-esque to me. not criminal, but almost like 2 second rounders for harper type of move.

the point is not that nicholson is key to our future, or that pick is necessarily, but we're giving away too many assets that i think would serve us better in future moves. like in a year or two, what could you package with nicholson and that pick and what could that net us when we're starting to hit our groove and our rooks are coming into their own. the value of picks has gone up since the new cba, and they're hitting the peak when the tax is maturing.

i don't think "dumping" afflalo is of high importance or of any urgency. a player of his caliber on his contract is movable and becomes more so with each passing day.

i think drew's offensive skillset and efficiency are unique in today's nba and seemingly more and more rare. sure he sucked at defense in his first year and moves sluggish and he needs to rebound better, but his type of game ages well and he's the exact same age as bledsoe with less experience and has played organized ball for much less time so its hard to determine who has more upside to me.

I'm not saying i wouldn't do it, but i don't see it as so easy like yeah whatever, sure have nicholson and a pick too yeah here, bledsoe is the future and we really need to rid ourselves of AA, if it were bbd, dumping that might be more enticing to dump. bledsoe's exciting because we havent had a pg like that in a looong time, but measuring value, its not such a homerun in my mind.

how would this trade shape our draft?

my thought, nicholson and afflalo for bledsoe and butler makes sense. I like Nicholson, he is being undervalued a bit here but is expendable I see him as a Carl Landry type player. Instant offense off the bench, but limited defensively.

we could go 1 of two ways here.

1. Cleveland passes on Nerlens Noel, Orlando pounces on him, freeing up Nicholson to be dealt in this trade.

2. Cleveland takes Noel, we trade the no.2 pick to Minnesota for Williams, 9, and 26. This also frees up Nicholson to be dealt. Orlando goes 2 guard at 9.

in either scenario, the magic massively upgrade their talent base and athleticism. Derrick Williams is not a bust, he has solid per 36 numbers, but is just not a superstar. highly athletic, still very young, imagine bledsoe/williams/harkless running the break. we could go a number of ways at 9 and 26

Noel will be an elite defensive player, the doctors say his knees, structurally look good. if the same staff that refused to OK Bynum medically, are on board with Noel I trust them

• Upvote 1

I'm all for us going after Bledsoe as long as the price is right and the terms are good. That would give us the athletic/attacking/defensive PG that we haven't had since Penny, and in the draft we can go after that attacking 2 Guard that we need. We have more forwards on our team than necessary...I like Olidipo from Indiana at the 2 in this draft...And if someone knows the answer please tell me...but I thought I remember reading somewhere that we have room for one max contract this year but after next we should have enough for 2 max deals...if this is true we're going to be back in the Mix real fast.....

I am not really sure why everyone is so gung-ho for Eric Bledsoe. I admit I haven't seen a lot of him, but looking at his stats vs. Arron Afflalo's I find myself a bit underwhelmed. It kind of strikes me as a sideways move, the primary purpose of which is to clear playing time for whichever SG we draft. Using this past year, as the most clear indicator of "present" ability, and the fact that AA averaged 36.0 minutes makes it a bit easier to compare - I just took Bledsoe's stats for the year and converted to "per 36".

Afflalo Bledsoe

PPG 16.5 14.9

REB 3.7 5.2

AST 3.2 5.4

BLK 0.2 1.3

STL 0.6 2.5

TO 2.2 3.2

FG 43.9% 44.5%

3FG 30.0% 39.7%

FT 85.7% 79.1%

the stats just spoke for themselves. what they show is Bledsoe is an elite athlete at the PG position, the steals, blocks, and rebounds show this. he could be a smaller russell westbrook, which means he needs to be developed more as a PG, and what better way to learn than playing 35 minutes a game?

Russell Westbrook's rookie numbers are comparable to Bledsoe's per 36 numbers this season, since then though Westbrook has had 4 years of development and is still only 24. Bledsoe is currently 23.

Furthermore Westbrook was, even as a rookie, a much better PG than Bledsoe. Westbrook's highest ever Turnover% in a single season was 17.6% (his rookie year) Bledsoe's lowest ever was 17.9% (this season) That means even over 4 years ago Westbrook still turned the ball over less than Bledsoe ever has while also playing a much greater role and having a much higher usage%.

Westbrook is also a supremely better scorer than Bledsoe probably ever will be and a comparable defender and athlete.

In fact the only thing that I'd take from Bledsoe rather than Westbrook is shot blocking and yet, who cares? When has a shot blocking guard (alone without other extremely great skills) ever been a valuable player?

Believe me, if we do this trade I'll be totally on board and hope he finds away to be nearly as good as Russell Westbrook but honestly and subjectively I don't see it happening and I think everybody who does is setting themselves up for disappointment.

i think people look at the deals one off. nicholson and that "theoretical value' pick are assets. rob is a good gm because he looks down the road and stacks and staggers the assets available because it's nice to have tools in the toolbox when needed. mcbob to essentially renew a TPE is an example of rob keeping the toolbox stocked in a "boring" way. throwing away nicholson and a pick for bledsoe seems slightly otis-esque to me. not criminal, but almost like 2 second rounders for harper type of move.

the point is not that nicholson is key to our future, or that pick is necessarily, but we're giving away too many assets that i think would serve us better in future moves. like in a year or two, what could you package with nicholson and that pick and what could that net us when we're starting to hit our groove and our rooks are coming into their own. the value of picks has gone up since the new cba, and they're hitting the peak when the tax is maturing.

i don't think "dumping" afflalo is of high importance or of any urgency. a player of his caliber on his contract is movable and becomes more so with each passing day.

i think drew's offensive skillset and efficiency are unique in today's nba and seemingly more and more rare. sure he sucked at defense in his first year and moves sluggish and he needs to rebound better, but his type of game ages well and he's the exact same age as bledsoe with less experience and has played organized ball for much less time so its hard to determine who has more upside to me.

I'm not saying i wouldn't do it, but i don't see it as so easy like yeah whatever, sure have nicholson and a pick too yeah here, bledsoe is the future and we really need to rid ourselves of AA, if it were bbd, dumping that might be more enticing to dump. bledsoe's exciting because we havent had a pg like that in a looong time, but measuring value, its not such a homerun in my mind.

No offense, but Bledsoe's upside is considerably higher than Nicholson's and its probably going to be Nicholson or a pick, not both. Henny is a smart dude...have some faith

• Upvote 1

How about add Jameer instead of Nicholson and a 1st rounder? He could back up Paul and let us start Bledsoe without any controversy. Also frees up more money, although I assume we'd re-sign Udrih

Its just the Clippers....they pulled the same stunt with Doc Rivers acquisition. First they had a deal...then no deal...then deal... Id just say its the Clippers M.O.

That's exactly what I was thinking. With Doc being there I would imagine he would like more than two days to evaluate his roster. I don't see the Clips pulling a fast trigger on anything just yet.

Its just the Clippers....they pulled the same stunt with Doc Rivers acquisition. First they had a deal...then no deal...then deal... Id just say its the Clippers M.O.

Actually the original asking price from Boston for Doc was ridiculous, so it was pretty easy for the Clips to say hell no. Boston was trying to run that circus and LA was smart to cut off negotiations until some reality set in for Boston. Doc worked closely with Ainge who always tries to squeeze everything out of any deal made (which he should as GM) and my guess is Doc will try to do the same with Bledsoe.