Sign in to follow this  
Jagsfreak27

Magic Going All In For Chris Paul's Backup?

Just for giggles I ran/surfed over to the clippers forum to see what they thought of the trade and here is what I found.

Most people like Aflalo and think they could help the team and keep CP3. They want either Harkless, Harris, or our #2 pick along with Aflalo and Nicholson. LOL keep dreaming Otis has left awhile ago.

They also think we will overpay Bledsoe and sign him to a 10-15 mil a year contract which will be overpaying him. < That makes me laugh like none other.

Just for giggles I ran/surfed over to the clippers forum to see what they thought of the trade and here is what I found.

Most people like Aflalo and think they could help the team and keep CP3. They want either Harkless, Harris, or our #2 pick along with Aflalo and Nicholson. LOL keep dreaming Otis has left awhile ago.

They also think we will overpay Bledsoe and sign him to a 10-15 mil a year contract which will be overpaying him. < That makes me laugh like none other.

It's interesting how when a team becomes good, some of their fans assume every other team in the league would willing give them ANYthing to keep stars. (Magic fans included)

How can Magic fans, who witnessed first hand how JJ Redick improved his game season after season, and reduced his flaws to more manageable levels, NOT think that Nicholson can improve as well? That a rookie in the NBA cannot grow, that's what we're trying to say? Man, we shouldda dumped JJ years ago then. That dude could only shoot 3s. Couldn't defend a cardboard cutout. What a bum.

I don't see him improving much sitting on our bench and unfortunately that's where he's going to be seated indefinitely. The guy's limitations (foot speed, agility, lateral quickness etc.) aren't exactly something that can be learned or magically improve once you're 24 either.

Here's how I think of this: Eric Bledsoe is a top 5 pick this year if he enters the draft. Would we be willing to give up Affalo, Nicolson, and a late 1st round pick (I'm looking at the Lakers pick), would I be willing to give up all of that for that calibur of a player and Caron Bulter, who would be flipped for something else (another TPE?).

Nicolson will be nothing more than a bench role player. He is a great offensive player, but even that is limited. He's a big man who can't defend and can't rebound. With the amount of scorers we'll have between Harris, Vuc, Harkless, and Bledsoe, I think we'll need more role players anyway.

I'm in favor of this trade at this point.

That just seems like a lot to dump to get one guy. I'd rather turn that late draft pick into Schroeder, to be honest. If they want AA and Nicolson? Okay.

Actually, I'd say "pick any two," but all three is a bit much.

I am not really sure why everyone is so gung-ho for Eric Bledsoe. I admit I haven't seen a lot of him, but looking at his stats vs. Arron Afflalo's I find myself a bit underwhelmed. It kind of strikes me as a sideways move, the primary purpose of which is to clear playing time for whichever SG we draft. Using this past year, as the most clear indicator of "present" ability, and the fact that AA averaged 36.0 minutes makes it a bit easier to compare - I just took Bledsoe's stats for the year and converted to "per 36".

Afflalo Bledsoe

PPG 16.5 14.9

REB 3.7 5.2

AST 3.2 5.4

BLK 0.2 1.3

STL 0.6 2.5

TO 2.2 3.2

FG 43.9% 44.5%

3FG 30.0% 39.7%

FT 85.7% 79.1%

So, there is a definite advantage to Bledsoe for age - 23 vs. 27; for rebounding (v nice), blocks, steals. His assists are higher, as you would expect playing PG versus playing SG, but at 5.4, I am not really ecstatic about that per 36 average. His 3P% was higher this year, but AA's is higher for career average. Also, AA has the better PPG despite being defended as the 1 (or 1a) option. I do have a big concern with the turnover number, especially for a PG. I am sure that playing with/against Chris Paul in practice has only helped his development. As far as trading for him, here are my thoughts:

AA for Bledsoe/Butler - absolutely

AA/Jones or Lamb for Bledsoe/Butler - absolutely

AA/Jones or Lamb + lottery-protected 2015 1st for Bledsoe/Butler - maybe (probably)

AA/Nicholson for Bledsoe/Butler - maybe

AA/Nicholson + lottery-protected 2015 1st for Bledsoe/Butler - probably not

AA/(Jones, Lamb or Nicholson) + lower of 2014 1st for Bledsoe/Butler - no

I am not really sure why everyone is so gung-ho for Eric Bledsoe. I admit I haven't seen a lot of him, but looking at his stats vs. Arron Afflalo's I find myself a bit underwhelmed. It kind of strikes me as a sideways move, the primary purpose of which is to clear playing time for whichever SG we draft. Using this past year, as the most clear indicator of "present" ability, and the fact that AA averaged 36.0 minutes makes it a bit easier to compare - I just took Bledsoe's stats for the year and converted to "per 36".

Afflalo Bledsoe

PPG 16.5 14.9

REB 3.7 5.2

AST 3.2 5.4

BLK 0.2 1.3

STL 0.6 2.5

TO 2.2 3.2

FG 43.9% 44.5%

3FG 30.0% 39.7%

FT 85.7% 79.1%

So, there is a definite advantage to Bledsoe for age - 23 vs. 27; for rebounding (v nice), blocks, steals. His assists are higher, as you would expect playing PG versus playing SG, but at 5.4, I am not really ecstatic about that per 36 average. His 3P% was higher this year, but AA's is higher for career average. Also, AA has the better PPG despite being defended as the 1 (or 1a) option. I do have a big concern with the turnover number, especially for a PG. I am sure that playing with/against Chris Paul in practice has only helped his development. As far as trading for him, here are my thoughts:

AA/Jones or Lamb + lottery-protected 2015 1st for Bledsoe/Butler - maybe (probably)

Just looking at the numbers isn't the best way to analyze the trade (if it indeed happens) in my opinion. PG is a position of need for this team moving forward and Bledsoe is primed to break out this season. The guy is not a natural PG and is probably never going to average more than 6-7apg, but he's played behind one of the best PG's in the league and under a PG (hopefully two soon!) so I think that will serve him well also. My question still is...does he start or continue to play a reserve role? In LA with Chris Paul it was a no-brainer, but in Orlando I think you could make the argument this guy deserves a shot for starters minutes. Regardless, I see his offensive production being on par with the per 36 numbers you provided (albeit adjusted to less minutes because he won't play 36 per). Earlier someone mentioned Jrue Holiday and I think that may be a fair comparison (only Bledsoe is much more explosive) at least in terms of offensive impact.

Where Bledsoe really excels though is defensively. The guy is a freak athlete and, in my opinion, has the skills to be highly disruptive on the defensive end. I guess ultimately the way I see it is this...by the time we're ready to compete, Afflalo is going to be pushing 30 and exiting his prime, while Bledsoe will be right in his prime.

• Upvote 1

Afflalo Bledsoe

PPG 16.5 14.9

REB 3.7 5.2

AST 3.2 5.4

BLK 0.2 1.3

STL 0.6 2.5

TO 2.2 3.2

FG 43.9% 44.5%

3FG 30.0% 39.7%

FT 85.7% 79.1%

Ok so you compared the stats, but you are forgetting that Bledsoe has not reached his potential. No one really knows what the guy can do/ how high his ceiling is. No I am not saying he can become CP3 or Tony Parker but Aflalo is not what we need.

Get an up tempo PG, draft a McLemore or Dipo both of them can shoot the ball and I can see a lot more production out of Bledsoe. Its not that Aflalo is not good but we can upgrade the SG and PG position with this trade and draft.

In two days we will have a new PG and SG with tons of youth surrounding it, what more could we ask for especially after the dwightmare we just went through.

Afflalo Bledsoe

PPG 16.5 14.9

REB 3.7 5.2

AST 3.2 5.4

BLK 0.2 1.3

STL 0.6 2.5

TO 2.2 3.2

FG 43.9% 44.5%

3FG 30.0% 39.7%

FT 85.7% 79.1%

My problem is you are not taking into account minutes per game. AA is in a starter's role while Bledsoe's minutes are about half that much.

• Upvote 1

As far as trading for him, here are my thoughts:

I thought the Clippers gave up their 2015 1st for Rivers.

My problem is you are not taking into account minutes per game. AA is in a starter's role while Bledsoe's minutes are about half that much.

He adjusted Bledsoe's numbers to 36 per averages

silly clippers fan tolling at its best.. If you want some good laughs go read some of their ideas like this one below.

DJ, Bled, Butler, and 1st rd for Affalo and Vucivic Done

If you put any stock into Hollinger stats (which I do) Bledsoe was the 15th ranked PG with a 17.6 PER. Higher than Nash, Holliday, Lillard, George Hill, Brandon Jennings among many others.

Jameer and Beno had PER's in the 14 range.

Given he is young and will improve he could easily be a top 10 PG in this league.

• Upvote 2