Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

Charlotte Observation

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

2ndqtr: We are still keeping it strong, but Charlotte is coming back. Arroyo had an okay start with a few jump shots going in. Then our 15 pt lead starts to crumble.

4th qtr: Offense is horrible, leading the way is Arroyo, he didnt move the ball and was always asking for a screen in the same spot, going the same exact way. It was so bad I had a Bobcat fan telling me where he was going to go before we even went down the offensive end..... needless to say he was right most of the time.

Overall - Carlos played horrible all around, and we forgot about Dwight way to much. Defensively Bogans got buried by Carrol, and then by Richardson. Carlos got drilled by Felton way too much.

I have to disagree with you in a few of your comments. sorry.

2nd qtr. Arroyo had an okay start? 12 points in that qtr. I think that's a little more then okay (for a back up PG) I don't think he was going to score 20. especially that he thought or still think he's going to be traded. Also, We finish the qtr with a 15pt lead so the lead did not crumble.

4th qtr. On the pick and roll you can only go left or right of it. 50/50 chance of "predicting" where he was going. I do see your point on that the ball wasn't moving as much, but since the game was on the line, the offense, IMO, had to slow down and look for better shots. he ask for the screen, breaks down the defense and passed the ball. It's not his fault most of the magic player could score. Turk was missing almost the whole game? But all in all. The team was out of gas, especailly Arroyo since he hasn't played as much and IS a back up PG, to play 21 mintues {9min 3rd qtr 12- 4th qtr) is hard to do ALL our players were done since the 3rd qtr.

Overall arroyo didn't play Horrible (maybe bad, for the lack of stamina). But Also Turk (couldn't hit a shot), Rashard (couldn't contain his man) Bogans ( you were right on him). Dooling (TO prone, on this game, plus could hit a shot either) Evens played Okay.Dwight had a good game, the magic didn't forget about him. he had another 20/20 game.

Just givingmy unbias opinion, Since I do want ALL the magic players to do GREAT not just GOOD. I know you do too. especially living out of town. But hope you had a great time at the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

Well ESPN just proved my observation:

Charlotte, which had been 0-3 against Orlando this season by an average margin of 13 points, took its first lead since 9-8 on Richardson's 3-pointer with 8:20 left. Matt Carroll's 3 with 5:50 left made it 88-82.

Orlando, struggling to run its offense with Arroyo and Keith Bogans running the point, went nearly four minutes without a point until Hedo Turkoglu's driving layup made it 90-87.

Right, but that four minute stretch doesn't mean Carlos "played horrible all around". The way I saw it, he had a pretty good game all around, despite what happened in the second half (not really his fault).

Like I said, I am just letting you know what I saw 4 rows from the court, There were many possesions where Carlos dribbled the ball and then handed it off to another player with 12-10 secs left.

He did okay in the 2nd qtr, made a few shots back to back, but the 2nd half he bricked and forced shots.

And im not putting this lost on him or anyone else, its a team loss.

quote:

4th qtr: Offense is horrible, leading the way is Arroyo, he didnt move the ball and was always asking for a screen in the same spot, going the same exact way. It was so bad I had a Bobcat fan telling me where he was going to go before we even went down the offensive end..... needless to say he was right most of the time.

Barnettej, I'm glad you posted this observation because I was about to start a thread on the same topic.

Wasn't it Dwight who was setting those screens you are referring to? In the past, I said that Dwight played too much under the basket, but it seems almost every time we got the ball on offense, Dwight was out at the 3 pt. line setting screens and everybody else on the team were out there with him. They just started bumping into each other and with little or no ball movement.

That was weird!

WorldWideWeb.gifMAGICGLOBALSTORM.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by *KEEBLER*:

quote:

2ndqtr: We are still keeping it strong, but Charlotte is coming back. Arroyo had an okay start with a few jump shots going in. Then our 15 pt lead starts to crumble.

Overall - Carlos played horrible all around, and we forgot about Dwight way to much. Defensively Bogans got buried by Carrol, and then by Richardson. Carlos got drilled by Felton way too much.

2nd qtr. Arroyo had an okay start? 12 points in that qtr. I think that's a little more then okay (for a back up PG) I don't think he was going to score 20. especially that he thought or still think he's going to be traded. Also, We finish the qtr with a 15pt lead so the lead did not crumble.

4th qtr. On the pick and roll you can only go left or right of it. 50/50 chance of "predicting" where he was going. I do see your point on that the ball wasn't moving as much, but since the game was on the line, the offense, IMO, had to slow down and look for better shots. he ask for the screen, breaks down the defense and passed the ball. It's not his fault most of the magic player could score. Turk was missing almost the whole game? But all in all. The team was out of gas, especailly Arroyo since he hasn't played as much and IS a back up PG, to play 21 mintues {9min 3rd qtr 12- 4th qtr) is hard to do ALL our players were done since the 3rd qtr.

Overall arroyo didn't play Horrible (maybe bad, for the lack of stamina). But Also Turk (couldn't hit a shot), Rashard (couldn't contain his man) Bogans ( you were right on him). Dooling (TO prone, on this game, plus could hit a shot either) Evens played Okay.Dwight had a good game, the magic didn't forget about him. he had another 20/20 game.

Just givingmy unbias opinion, Since I do want ALL the magic players to do GREAT not just GOOD. I know you do too. especially living out of town. But hope you had a great time at the game.

Not a problem with disagreeing.

When I said the lead was starting to crumble, I wasnt talking about point wise. I was talking about momentum, the energy was starting to go the Bobcats way, they were getting more aggressive on both ends towards the end of the 2nd qtr. And then when the 3qtr started they just kept going where they left off at.

Now for the thing where the Bobcat fan was telling me what Arroyo was going to do.... you didnt read the whole thing or you just didnt understand.

The Bobcat fan was telling me exactly what Arroyo was going to do before we inbounded the ball, and as Arroyo did exactly what the Bobcat said he was going to do, all I could do was shake my head and say "well, I dont know what to say.... maybe you should play the lottery"

quote:

Like I said, I am just letting you know what I saw 4 rows from the court, There were many possesions where Carlos dribbled the ball and then handed it off to another player with 12-10 secs left.

He did okay in the 2nd qtr, made a few shots back to back, but the 2nd half he bricked and forced shots.

Yeah, I saw all of that too. And it has been happening since he got here. He does it all the time. But he also made a solid contribution tonight, and with that I am satisfied.

The play of the point guards on this team is such that when either of them contributes in any appreciable way, even if they do it despite continuing their habits, I'm happy.

quote:

Charlotte, which had been 0-3 against Orlando this season by an average margin of 13 points, took its first lead since 9-8 on Richardson's 3-pointer with 8:20 left. Matt Carroll's 3 with 5:50 left made it 88-82.

Orlando, struggling to run its offense with Arroyo and Keith Bogans running the point, went nearly four minutes without a point until Hedo Turkoglu's driving layup made it 90-87.

That pretty much sums it up in the 4th quarter. And your entire assessment was pretty much spot on.

A big helping of Carlos and Hedo dominating the ball during the 3rd quarter, both of them missing shots and Hedo in particular with some really bad plays and turnovers pretty much doomed us. It sucked the life right out of our team.

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

quote:

Barnettej, I'm glad you posted this observation because I was about to start a thread on the same topic.

Wasn't it Dwight who was setting those screens you are referring to? In the past, I said that Dwight played too much under the basket, but it seems almost every time we got the ball on offense, Dwight was out at the 3 pt. line setting screens and everybody else on the team were out there with him. They just started bumping into each other and with little or no ball movement.

That was weird!

WorldWideWeb.gifMAGICGLOBALSTORM.jpg

Yes you are right, everytime Turk or Arroyo was above the 3pt line, they were calling for a Dwight screen...

And the Bobcats were just waiting for it, every single time..... and Arroyo was trying to set the alleyoop dunk for Dwight.... but it was so obivous after the "8th" attempt.

barnett you are clearly a Carlos hater....you have always been. It is expected of you of course. Its always Carlos fault. It has nothing to do with Hedos 4 TO, 2Reb, or Rashard horrible shooting night, or Howard FT foes. Its always Carlos. Let me remind you that Nelson was having a 2pt, 2 ***, 3 TO night to go with his 6pts in the lost to the bulls. Anyways the reason we lost is because all of the sudden we could not make a shot. There was a sequence in the 4th where the ball went to Howard or Hedo 7 times in a row....all missed their shots...even from FT line. Our defense collapsed on us once again. It was a collected failure. When you start missing shots, and not making defensive stops you are going to lose a lot of games. Do not blame this on Carlos because the whole team strugled and our "go to guys" could not throw the ball in the ocean for about a 9 minute span.

Do you not know Arroyo is a backup? What other backup in this league can handle the way this kid handle it he kept us in it throughout with no Silly TO's something expected almost everytime from a Backup, Lets apprecciate his minutes for what is worth he gave us good minutes with some not so good but certainly gave us a chance to win and thats what a backup is asked to do contribute + keep you in the game.

Lewis got killed in both ends and the hot hand Carrol punished us with the 3 ball i just think when your lacking offensively it comes down to critical defensive stops when you play bad offense you need to makeup for it in the other end by playing good defense as simple it may sound Magic were doing neither meaning 9 out of 10 the game will not go your way. So go figure Bad offense No defense which is how they played 2nd half gives you Exactly what you called it = Horrible team!

i think this teams problem is they know that they have talent, and they think once they get a lead on teams they can coast to victory...the defensive energy was non-existant in the 2nd half...for 6 straight qtrs i thought maybe they finally get it that they have to play good defense to win, but they let me down big time tonight

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Just givingmy unbias opinion, Since I do want ALL the magic players to do GREAT not just GOOD. I know you do too. especially living out of town. But hope you had a great time at the game.]

quote:

Right, but that four minute stretch doesn't mean Carlos "played horrible all around". The way I saw it, he had a pretty good game all around, despite what happened in the second half (not really his fault).

quote:

Overall - Carlos played horrible all around, and we forgot about Dwight way to much. Defensively Bogans got buried by Carrol, and then by Richardson. Carlos got drilled by Felton way too much.]

Well Barnett...being 4 rows behind court you probably did, or didn't see that when CA was running that pick and roll, everytime down the court he was looking at SVG for the play before he crossed the ball at half-court. Stan was the one running the play, not CA. Stan was the one calling the ball to be distributed to Dooling.

The fact is that over here at T.V. land we do get to see a lot more, angles, and what not, that you as a spectator cannot see.

CA held his own points wise, and distributed the ball VERY well! His team-mates, especially Rashard and Hedo, did not make the shots when they needed them the most.

Rashard was constantly killed off the drible by Wallace, he could not stop him

CA was not a defensive liability this game, the stats prove it...he in now way, shape or form was killed by Felton. Just look up the stats.

The truth of the matter is, that the offense runs well when CA has the point, it's not his fault if his teammates don't make shots, which he facilitates quite often with his drive.

Had to say something about it, because this whole thing about him playing horrible, and blaming him for the team's loss is not the way to go!

Blame game: Blame STV for running cuestionable plays, and blame the guys on the team who could not make a shot when it counted most, but blame the most, the guys that did not defend worth a nickel in the game.

CA had a solid game, the Magic as a whole had a low game at best!

Much Love!

I want 2 know how can u say Arroyo screwed up in the third when all he did bad was miss 3 shots. Ok he went 1-4 in the third but he had 0 TO and a couple of rebounds and he took those shots since nobody could hit one. Ill be honest I wasnt pleased with 2 ast but hes teamates didnt make a shots neither.