Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Will the Magic Make a Trade Before the Deadline?

Let's face it...standing pact would reward all the medicore that we have on the bench! We need a valid PF in order to advance in the east and the playoffs. No trade means we get nothing for all the expirings and hope that we can make a dent in the FA class of 08. But I wouldn't bet the farm on FA!

We only have one tradeable assest that would get good offers and that's Hedo. I don't think Otis would make that deal, and I don't know if he should...

Some interesting info from ESPN.com They listed teams likely to make a move before the deadline-

Seattle SuperSonics

Kurt Thomas makes a little over $8 million this season -- which is a lot for a player who is aging, and has a fairly limited game. But he is about to come off the books entirely, and players with decent-sized expiring contracts always look a little better near the trade deadline, as they are the surest way for a team to meaningfully reduce payroll next season.

Most importantly, as a bruising defender with a knack for slowing Tim Duncan, Thomas might be the kind of bauble a playoff-bound team like the Lakers will fall in love with. In addition, the Sonics have long been interested in dealing one of their excess point guards -- probably Earl Watson who has not been happy with his limited role on a bad team.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-51/Trade-Talk-...-Teams-to-Watch.html

They are looking for picks and young talent I would imagine to go with cap space. I think we can offer all of those. Considering they have Durant and Green, I doubt they would want Hedo so we may be able to grab Thomas, and still keep Turk. It's also low risk because he comes off the books next year so he could be resigned for less. Something to think about.

Kurt....the Warrior Thomas would be nothing less than GREAT for this team, at this point and would be a hard nose defender and add a few points on offense! He makes sense for us, to include adding a little attitude!

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

Kurt....the Warrior Thomas would be nothing less than GREAT for this team, at this point and would be a hard nose defender and add a few points on offense! He makes sense for us, to include adding a little attitude!

They're not going to trade an expiring contract for our expiring contracts. Therefore we would be required to offer them a package likely consisting of Evans, JJ and a first round pick. Do you really want to part with meaningful pieces for an aging big man that can walk or retire at the end of the season?

Over the bulk of his career he has been very durable. In addition to that, he is currently avg 7 pt and 10board with a blk a game. The guy is a capable defender, has a good attitude and can hit mid range shots. IMO his type of attitude is exactly what we need on a team full of people that are passive on defense.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

They're not going to trade an expiring contract for our expiring contracts. Therefore we would be required to offer them a package likely consisting of Evans, JJ and a first round pick. Do you really want to part with meaningful pieces for an aging big man that can walk or retire at the end of the season?

Great post and there lies my question. Why would we trade expirings for expirings. I mean i understand taking them on if you want the salary cap for the following year. But we basically are spinning our wheels to take on and expiring contract and probably would have to give up our draft pick and a promising player that has a year or more on his contract at an affordable rate. If we have to give up a first pick and JJ or Mo, i want it to be for a player that will help us at least two or three years, not for someone that can walk at the end of the season.

quote:

quote:

Not for a 1st rounder. The plan (such as it is) seems to be to fill in the gaps with MLE to min type guys. Isn't that what he is? He's been very effective this year, who is to say that we couldn't get another 2-3 yrs out of him? Horace's career was extended by playing with Shaq, couldn't Thomas do the same? Sending out JJ for just Thomas would be a bad call but they also mention that Seattle may be looking to move a PG as well. What if you are getting Thomas and Watson?

I would love to get a younger PF if it's possible, this is just one option that seems to be available.

quote:

quote:

Well I think a lot of JJ's potential, and that $million $$ stroke of his so I am not sure I would be agreeable to either him or Evans. However I would attempt to offer S&T with peices like Bogans, Auggie or Cook and a possible future pick first (not first round pick) and see what their position would be! (as if I didn't know)! LOL

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I think a lot of JJ's potential, and that $million $$ stroke of his so I am not sure I would be agreeable to either him or Evans. However I would attempt to offer S&T with peices like Bogans, Auggie or Cook and a possible future first and see what their position would be! (as if I didn't know)! LOL

Nope... now if we can pry away one of their younger power forwards, I would be interested in negotiations.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I think a lot of JJ's potential, and that $million $$ stroke of his so I am not sure I would be agreeable to either him or Evans. However I would attempt to offer S&T with peices like Bogans, Auggie or Cook and a possible future first and see what their position would be! (as if I didn't know)! LOL

I don't think S&Ts can happen in the middle of the season.

IMO, JJ and Garrity might work since they would be getting an exp contract AND and young player in exchange for their own exp contract.