Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis is pleading for more "player" leadership! Losses should bother them more!(blog)

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Out of curiosity...

Would anybody here be upset if we started Dooling, JJ, Ariza, Darko & Dwight for the rest of the season?

Smack, I would be elated.

I said we should start the group a couple of weeks ago, but I said Jameer instead of Dooling, even though i've been pushing Diener forever.

I just think it's interesting that a lineup of those five players gives us a PG that can matchup defensively with most PGs in the league. It gives us a SG that can spread the floor. It gives us a hard-working SF that can defend four different positions well. It gives us a PF that can play the high-post and see the floor well. And of course a center that would benefit from playing with these guys.

However, besides Dwight, the other four players have been used sparingly all season.

Do we, as fans, really not grasp the game of basketball as well as we think we do? Do we just look for anything different so that we can continue blaming the coaches?

Or, does our coach refuse to see the weapons that we have and how they would compliment each other to become a force?

We don't see them in practice: that's one thing. I do like that lineup, though, with Diener backing up the point and Jameer backing up JJ (like he'd ever go for it, but still).

quote:

I just think it's interesting that a lineup of those five players gives us a PG that can matchup defensively with most PGs in the league. It gives us a SG that can spread the floor. It gives us a hard-working SF that can defend four different positions well. It gives us a PF that can play the high-post and see the floor well. And of course a center that would benefit from playing with these guys.

However, besides Dwight, the other four players have been used sparingly all season.

Do we, as fans, really not grasp the game of basketball as well as we think we do? Do we just look for anything different so that we can continue blaming the coaches?

Or, does our coach refuse to see the weapons that we have and how they would compliment each other to become a force?

smack,i have no idea what our coach is seeing,and as a whole this group has a very good grasp on the game of basketball.

Sorry i'm writing this, but some of you guys are living in dreamland. How can somebody actually is still waiting for Diener to play is beyond any reason. After Hill gave him 17 minutes in one game and did not post any single stadistic (no points, no assists, no steals no nothing), how can you expect a coach to have any faith on him is incredible. I believe he will make a good backup pg in some other teams but not in coach hill system. And out of the 3 pg we have he is the worst defender and the slowest too. IM not a JAMEER JORDAN lover or a CARLOS FANATIC but Diener is not our answer,

quote:

Out of curiosity...

Would anybody here be upset if we started Dooling, JJ, Ariza, Darko & Dwight for the rest of the season?

Short answer: no

I don't know if Dooling is the longterm answer at pg but I would be willing to let him start the rest of the season to find out.

This offseason if Otis could pull it off I would love to see Carlos, Bogans, Hedo, and Hill go. I'm willing to give Jameer until the trade deadline to improve but he might be gone too.

quote:

Smack, I like that line-up. I'm sure most of us would.

Just not sure how many games we would win starting players who are that young:

Dwight - 21 years old, leads the league in turnovers

Darko - 21 years old, been in the league for 4 years and is just now starting to play a little. Still makes a lot of mental errors.

Trevor - 21 years old, great hustler who is just now starting to get playing time in the NBA after rotting on the Knicks bench.

J.J. Redick - 22 years old, "rookie" finally getting some court time and showing promise but still has a lot to learn about the NBA game.

Keyon Dooling - 26 years old, another hustler who has been a career back-up with 3 different teams. Not great at either gaurd position but is adequate at both. Excels on defense.

Again, I would like this line-up a lot better in a couple of years but if you played them a lot now we would win less than what we already are.

This line-up is too young and too inexperienced.

And the alternative could possibly be starting

G Hill, Turkoglu & Battie while still missing the playoffs.

As it's been stated a million times on this board...I think we would all be a little less hostile if the team was losing and we were getting our young components more experience.

I don't even want to think about how furious we will all be if this team misses the postseason after watching B Hill stick with the same crazy lineups, substitutions and roatations for 98% of the year. Especially since they all include players that likely won't contribute much beyond this season.

G Hill should retire.

Turk will be major trade bait if we intend on atracting a big name free agent.

Battie better be brought off the bench for 15 minutes next year.

So, if that's the case (and who knows what the hell B Hill is thinking about next year), then why are these players being utilized so heavily when we have young players that deserve a look?

Because his backwards thinking has him believing that he needs to ride his veterans to keep his job. The thought hasn't crossed him mind that the veterans are the reason he will eventually lose it.

Smackdaddy, I agree with all of your observations except for Tony Battie.

Yes, it defys all logic, but the difference in the Magic when he plays and when he doesn't play is noticeable.

And I mean that in a good way, at least from Tony's point of view.