Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

Stan Van Gundy ... stay ? or leave ?

He'll be good for us in the long run. I would like some clarity with what we're doing in regard to the personnel, but experimentation in my eyes isn't a bad thing. This team is still one of development and growth, but as I said in the long run Stan is the man.

really? we're blaming stan now?

at the end of the day; he's the one who told us right at the beginning when we got off to the hot start that we still had a long way to go.

he's the one who said that our lack of defensive intensity at times and our "playing the scoreboard" would cause us problems.

he's the one who told us that the team was still a work in progress....now we want to get angry just because he was right.

he tried to tell the team and he tried to tell us. then it happened and we're all blaming him for our guys not always hustling and settling for jump shots.

at least we have a coach who recognizes our faults and tries to fix them (thank god isiah thomas isnt anywhere near our locker room). we lacked defense and hustle...what'd stan do? tried starting dooling who brings those to the table...didn't work out right; tried starting mo evans who brings those to the table. look....so far it's been good.

jameer playing bad; let's see how he plays as a reserve; HE PLAYED GREAT!!! it's like jason terry and ben gordon; they play so much better off the bench because they can look for their shots and not have to worry about distributing.

stan's got the right ideas. we need to give it time and not be so judgmental the minute something goes slightly wrong.

if someone had told you the magic would be 8 games over .500 after 38 games; after a summer where we changed coaches, signed a marquee free agent, travelled to china...and a 38 games where we've played close to 2/3 of those on the road....you would've been happy. why aren't we happy?

however...one thing stan really hasnt been doing that he needs to is getting rashard inside the three point line....in seattle he was more of a post up threat who could bomb from long range....now he's just a bomb from long range and his post game is spotted less than britney in rehab....(too soon?)

thats probably stans only serious failure right now in terms of a "how we should play" standpoint.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Who would you replace him with? The old guy sitting next to him on the bench? The janitor, Stuff?

I doubt even Stuff would be happy to see Shard get murdered at pf and Dooling/Meer at pg

The offense is looking as bad as mr. Hill's looked last season and defense is definitely worse.

Van Fluffy loves talking about the team not playing defense. Instead of just talking about it he needs to teach defense or bring a defensive assistant to help him out since he has no clue what defense means.

Then give your better defensive guys some minutes, and that doesn't mean starting Dooling at pg. Giving Mo Evans more minutes is about the only thing he's done to correct the problem that makes sense.

For this coach who benched Ariza for Garrity to be saying how his team doesn't want to play defense is funny, to say the least

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

i agree his rotations are kinda wack, there is no consistancey out there and players don't know if there gonna start or even play, the team won't improve unless we stick to normal rotations, and stick to it soem guys are more better of the bench than starters or vice versa,and it helps the team perform better, this is rather elementery not sure why they can't figure it out.

there is not consistency because the players are playing constant with energy and hustle. brian hill, last year, played the same players every night like clock work, but he did not switch up based on match ups. the best coaches rotate based on match ups. they also keep in the hot hand and players that are playing well.

i think it is more that the players need to start stepping up and play hard and with more fire, then the coach just staying with poor energy player. if player walk or dont put a hand up on defense; they should get pulled. if players get out hustled; they should get pulled. If player are turning the ball over, making poor decision, and not rotating or playing smarting; please take them out. Coaches coach but players need to still play. It is the nba. we have other player that are waiting to play if other dont have the fire to step up.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

CrisC,

How would you do as a coach with these players? I would need to make some personnel changes.

What would you do?

I would be emphatically clear with Otis on what he needs to get the job done or just quit before he gets fired. But first I would fire Otis who is the creator of this frankestein who is short circuiting.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

And things were just peachy when we were 16-4, right?!

Van Gundy didn't start tinkering with rotations until the play of his team dictated that he find something, anything, to trigger a change. He is doing exactly what a coach should do.

We don't have a PG that can play a lick of defense, and that is not SVGs fault. But the play of our SGs has been solid two games in a row now. Mo Evans showed great energy as a starter, and Bogans came off the bench and played well.

We just got beat tonight guys.

And as for complaining the refs, don't give me that. Phil Jackson, with his 9 rings, complains to the refs all game long! Jerry Sloan talks to the refs like they just got his daughter pregnant. All coaches berate the refs, and you know what, SVG was justified tonight.

Everything was just peachy before the other NBA coaches adjusted to our sort of play and found our weaknesses. How could you defend Stan putting Carlos in to defend a PF(Linas Kleizas-18 pts) for the whole time he was in, creating a defensive mismatch. Why he would bring in a cold Arroyo in with a close game when he failed to do so in similar situations before? Why he didnt bring in Augie at all? Why was he substituting Turk with smaller SG's in obvious mismatches??? Give him time my arsh!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

And things were just peachy when we were 16-4, right?!

Van Gundy didn't start tinkering with rotations until the play of his team dictated that he find something, anything, to trigger a change. He is doing exactly what a coach should do.

We don't have a PG that can play a lick of defense, and that is not SVGs fault. But the play of our SGs has been solid two games in a row now. Mo Evans showed great energy as a starter, and Bogans came off the bench and played well.

We just got beat tonight guys.

And as for complaining the refs, don't give me that. Phil Jackson, with his 9 rings, complains to the refs all game long! Jerry Sloan talks to the refs like they just got his daughter pregnant. All coaches berate the refs, and you know what, SVG was justified tonight.

Everything was just peachy before the other NBA coaches adjusted to our sort of play and found our weaknesses. How could you defend Stan putting Carlos in to defend a PF(Linas Kleizas-18 pts) for the whole time he was in, creating a defensive mismatch. Why he would bring in a cold Arroyo in with a close game when he failed to do so in similar situations before? Why he didnt bring in Augie at all? Why was he substituting Turk with smaller SG's in obvious mismatches??? Give him time my arsh!!!

Perfect answer. Thank you to ibonedteribell for saving me the agony of writing a response to something so obvious.

SVG is coaching with a lot of pressure over him. I dont know why? We dont Know what is happening here, but the trades are coming very soon and the people of Orlando will suffer by this.

svg is a nice guy but yelling and screeming day in, day out gets old. these young guys are tiring of that nonsense and loosing their confidence. if he is not careful they will tune him out. bashing them in public is a big mistake. i think he is in big trouble with this group. jacklj