Sign in to follow this  
StufFtheMagicDragon

Rashard Struggling? Thank our coach for that

I wonder if the same people who are condemning our coach and our GM for forcing Shard to play out of position, are the same people that were posting 3-4 months ago that Shard would dominate at the PF spot because of all the less dominant big men playing that position coupled with the obvious offensive advantage he would enjoy???

Just curious.

quote:
Originally posted by magicdepth:

quote:
17-20 fta/ftm

17 points from the foul line...

Thats what got him to 45 points....

He isnt driving the ball thus he is not getting to the foul line...

Interesting, considering Rashard is averaging 3 FT attempts per game this season.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I wonder if the same people who are condemning our coach and our GM for forcing Shard to play out of position, are the same people that were posting 3-4 months ago that Shard would dominate at the PF spot because of all the less dominant big men playing that position coupled with the obvious offensive advantage he would enjoy???

Just curious.

I will admit I thoughtit would work, now IO have to admit I was wrong this experiment has been a failure.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Just curious.

But, who are those people? Are you going to hold them responsible somehow? LoL

I can only speak for myself and all I ever contended was that opposing teams' PF's weren't going to run roughshod over us, which they haven't. Some people thought that the Knicks would be great and Zach Randolph would destroy us.

Our biggest problem is opposing 1 & 2 guards eating us alive. Rashard isn't much help to Dwight down around the basket to block shots and deter guards from getting into the lane.

Oh, and the fact we have this guy Rashard Lewis playing his worst season in 6 years. One thing that really strikes me is his rebounding - he can't rebound for crap against other PF's. Last season he had some monster 20-point, 15-rebound games and he can't get that going against guys that weigh 30-40lbs more than him.

Once we get a PF the can hang out with Dwight down low and move Turk to SG and Rashard back to SF we can let Lewis do all the slashing to the rim he wants...Look at Turk in Rashards position....im not saying Turk is bad player but i think if Rashard had the same oppurtunities Turk has he could get 30ppg with turk getting 20 at SG

quote:

Originally posted by Orlando Mellow:

quote:

Originally posted by Courtskils:

For the contract he signed, he should be the guy who wants to guard the other teams best player, whether he's a post or a wing.

When you pay a guy league max he should have the intensity to want the ball every possession, he should have that killer instince.

Rashard, however just wants to fit in. Well if you don't want to lead, don't try and get paid like a leader.

Honestly, don't you think management had conversations with Rashard about intensity, leading, and playing like he's getting paid.

I don't see Rashard complaining to Van Gundy about the way he is used, speak up.

Quote by: Matias JJ

That's pretty shortsighted.

Courtskills should see Lewis isn't at fault for Otis having thrown a bunch of money at him and expect him to become Keven Garnett. Rashard never in his 9 year career has had to play this way. Is like asking a guy like Dirk Nowitzki to play center just because he's 7 feet and to expect good defense against the good centers of this league. Sorry you can't understand this.

I also agree 100% with the opening post

Matias

Have you played the game of basketball. I was forced to play out of position for years, you kow what I did, adapated. Being on the court was more important than playing a position. I took pride in guarding the best, pleaying the elite, and having an inside out game. The majority of stars in the league have versitile enough games to play multiple positions. The lone exception has always been the center position.

Remember Magic Johnson playing center in the finals? Charles Barkley developed a 3 point shot. Karl Malone was one of the worst shooters and developed an 18 foot game. If you want to be paid like a star then play like one. Rashard signed the contract, he should take the responsibility that comes with it. If Drew Gooden kills us inside during the game, if I'm Rashard Lewis, I tell the coach put me on Gooden, that is a superstar, knowing you are better offensively and defensively than your opponent.

quote:
For what it is worth, Rashard Lewis has been one of the best, if not the best, post-up SF in the league the last few years.

Mainly because he used to play center. Remember he was a straight-from-high-school player. He still has those moves.

I'd say, at this point, 'Shard's play has nothing to do with SVG. I'd point to Hedo's game as evidence. It works like this:

'Shard was the #2 option in Seattle behind Ray-ray (Jesus Jones, himself), but defenses were far more worried about Ray than 'Shard - so 'Shard got his points.

Here, he's really the #1 option: his (career) scoring average is a lot higher than Dwight's and, until this year, Dwight didn't really have a lot of offensive moves (not that he really needed them). So defenses are keyed to stop Rashard first and Dwight second.

This leaves Hedo less guarded. Look for things to shift a little after the all-star break, if not sooner. I would not be at all surprised if we start getting the "Trade Hedo!" posts when his numbers drop and 'Shard's go up.

It's a team game. Now if you want to complain about SVG's handling of the team and his constant roster shuffling, I'm with you, but he's a good coach and this is a REAL young team.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

quote:
For what it is worth, Rashard Lewis has been one of the best, if not the best, post-up SF in the league the last few years.

Mainly because he used to play center. Remember he was a straight-from-high-school player. He still has those moves.

I'd say, at this point, 'Shard's play has nothing to do with SVG. I'd point to Hedo's game as evidence. It works like this:

'Shard was the #2 option in Seattle behind Ray-ray (Jesus Jones, himself), but defenses were far more worried about Ray than 'Shard - so 'Shard got his points.

Here, he's really the #1 option: his (career) scoring average is a lot higher than Dwight's and, until this year, Dwight didn't really have a lot of offensive moves (not that he really needed them). So defenses are keyed to stop Rashard first and Dwight second.

This leaves Hedo less guarded. Look for things to shift a little after the all-star break, if not sooner. I would not be at all surprised if we start getting the "Trade Hedo!" posts when his numbers drop and 'Shard's go up.

It's a team game. Now if you want to complain about SVG's handling of the team and his constant roster shuffling, I'm with you, but he's a good coach and this is a REAL young team.

I'm sorry my friend but the Magic no longer is a younger team, right now there are #20

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Orlando Mellow:

quote:

For the contract he signed, he should be the guy who wants to guard the other teams best player, whether he's a post or a wing.

When you pay a guy league max he should have the intensity to want the ball every possession, he should have that killer instince.

Rashard, however just wants to fit in. Well if you don't want to lead, don't try and get paid like a leader.

Honestly, don't you think management had conversations with Rashard about intensity, leading, and playing like he's getting paid.

I don't see Rashard complaining to Van Gundy about the way he is used, speak up.

Quote by: Matias JJ

That's pretty shortsighted.

Courtskills should see Lewis isn't at fault for Otis having thrown a bunch of money at him and expect him to become Keven Garnett. Rashard never in his 9 year career has had to play this way. Is like asking a guy like Dirk Nowitzki to play center just because he's 7 feet and to expect good defense against the good centers of this league. Sorry you can't understand this.

I also agree 100% with the opening post

Matias

Have you played the game of basketball. I was forced to play out of position for years, you kow what I did, adapated. Being on the court was more important than playing a position. I took pride in guarding the best, pleaying the elite, and having an inside out game. The majority of stars in the league have versitile enough games to play multiple positions. The lone exception has always been the center position.

Remember Magic Johnson playing center in the finals? Charles Barkley developed a 3 point shot. Karl Malone was one of the worst shooters and developed an 18 foot game. If you want to be paid like a star then play like one. Rashard signed the contract, he should take the responsibility that comes with it. If Drew Gooden kills us inside during the game, if I'm Rashard Lewis, I tell the coach put me on Gooden, that is a superstar, knowing you are better offensively and defensively than your opponent.

He never earn he

All I know is that Rashard was an awesome player on offense the past few years.

His FG% and TO rate were absolutely top-notch for his position and the type of player he was.

He also shot plenty of free throws and boarded very well - he had something like ten 20/10 games last season.

The experiment of Hedo/Shard at SF/PF was worth trying but is failing. Shard is NOT the same player guarding PF's and hanging around in the paint on defense and isn't the same player when the ball swings to a different swingman. It's obvious by now that we need to get him in his natural position to start getting the production we need out of him. The guy is absolutely deadly on offense and has a lot more balance to his game than we're seeing. I'm tired of waiting to see it. Let's go SVG!

EDIT: He actually had eleven 20/10 games.

I think the one of Rashard's biggest detriments, is that we the fans and even the media are trying to make him something he's not. He is not a star in this league, and not even close to a superstar. We all have to live with the fact the Magic severly overpaid him and he will never live up to expectations. I wish Shard had the intensity and work ethic to be the best, but after watching him disappear on the floor at times, I doubt he becomes that.

I put Rashard in the following group: Cory Maggette, Ben Gordan, a younger Finly or Stackhouse, Jason Richardson, Peja S., M. Okur, Jamal Crawford, Richard Jefferson, Andrei Igudoula, among others.

These guys all have superior games and definately are above average. They just aren't superstars are even stars. They are players who end up getting overpaid because they do something very well. Of course this list of names are all opinion and arguments could easily be made. But this is the caliber of player I feel Shard is.