Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Backcourt now in flux - Cook working hard(Sentinel)

quote:

"I don't know what we're going to do. We're in flux," said Coach Stan Van Gundy after Sunday's practice. "You would think by Game 35 you would have it figured out, but I don't."

Dooling had his first start of the season Friday in place of Bogans, but he hit just three of nine shots for nine points. Arroyo made his fourth consecutive start ahead of Nelson, but he struggled also with two turnovers in his 15 minutes.

"We may need a different mix again. Part of me says quit screwing around and go back to the guys [Nelson, Bogans] when you were 16-4," Van Gundy said. "I just don't know right now."

Cook gets extra work

The Magic held a season-ticket-holder event at Amway Arena on Sunday, but it started 15 minutes later than expected because practice ran longer than originally scheduled. Even when most of the players had left the court, Van Gundy remained behind with little-used Brian Cook to work on his post defense.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-mnotes0708jan07,0,627713.story

quote:

"I don't know what we're going to do. We're in flux," said Coach Stan Van Gundy after Sunday's practice. "You would think by Game 35 you would have it figured out, but I don't."

Dooling had his first start of the season Friday in place of Bogans, but he hit just three of nine shots for nine points. Arroyo made his fourth consecutive start ahead of Nelson, but he struggled also with two turnovers in his 15 minutes.

"We may need a different mix again. Part of me says quit screwing around and go back to the guys [Nelson, Bogans] when you were 16-4," Van Gundy said. "I just don't know right now."

Cook gets extra work

The Magic held a season-ticket-holder event at Amway Arena on Sunday, but it started 15 minutes later than expected because practice ran longer than originally scheduled. Even when most of the players had left the court, Van Gundy remained behind with little-used Brian Cook to work on his post defense.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-mnotes0708jan07,0,627713.story

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

In flux??? It's been in flux because we don't have a true pg.

Or a true PF. Why is he getting clueless all of a sudden? Doesn't he realize that teams are making adjustments against us and our soft players aren't making the right adjustments back! Teams are getting tougher and beating our weak front line (particularly Rashard's poor interior defense).

I say he keep Arroyo as starting PG. For now, put Bogans back. Just two games ago our starters held the opponent to an 18 point first quarter ...

Don't make too many changes, SVG, until you've tried out one change for at least a couple games or so !!!!!

quote:

I can't possibly imagine this making any noise on the boards if it happened.

i totally agree with coach. we have to have a consistent defensive/playmaking pg. plus somebody needs to teach these guys how to play team defense and stop penetration. it does not matter who is out there, until they get this concept we are going to struggle. jacklj

Stan looks worse with every commnet. He seems to put the blame on the PG rotation which really have not done that bad and fails to see the forest for the trees, which is his slumping offensive starters, his mediocre defensive game, his poor offensive rebounding and his constant playing of players out of position. NBA coaches can adjust very easily to a 3 pt shooting team and Howard's athletic unidimensional skills, as they have. I see stormy times ahead among the fans.

This is ridiculus now. In my opinion it is these constant changes what are in part affecting this Magic team. SVG has to be a better leader, with a clear vision. He is passing this uncertainty to his players and that can only hurt them. I beleive in making adjustment BUT not after everygame!!! One week he says this the pg he wants for now, then one game later he is contemplating another change. I agree with iboneteribell this is just excuses for slumping starters and mediocre defensive game. This is getting old and as a fan i am getting tire of the same crap.

I dont think the sky is falling, neither do I think SVG is a bad coach. I think he has a plan, and knows exactly what he is doing, reguardless of his comments. I am willing to bet that his comments are directed straight to Otis and passing along a nice hint that a trade needs to be made. It is clear that he does not like our rotation, and for good reason. We have far too many holes to play at a consistant high level. I predict that all will be well after the trade deadline (hopefully!)

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

I dont think the sky is falling, neither do I think SVG is a bad coach. I think he has a plan, and knows exactly what he is doing, reguardless of his comments. I am willing to bet that his comments are directed straight to Otis and passing along a nice hint that a trade needs to be made. It is clear that he does not like our rotation, and for good reason. We have far too many holes to play at a consistant high level. I predict that all will be well after the trade deadline (hopefully!)

I agree completely. He is forced to use the pieces he has, and his 'attempt' at different combinations are sending a message to Otis that he simply has some holes to fill.