Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Is a Hedo Trade Inevitable?

I'm with you Turk... most people here say some things really amazing, or as you said: totally ridiculous. I've read surreal kind of things in these forums. They are talking about trading Hedo, when Hedo is actually our go-to-guy and for a reasonable price. Instead, they should be talking about trading Rashard Lewis, who plays Hedo's same position, is not even playing near Hedo's game, and a small detail... he has a $118MM contract.

In the same way, they are talking about trading Carlos Arroyo, who is doing an outstanding job as our starting PG delivering assists, scoring at good % and last night made 0 turnovers in 30 minutes... for $4MM. So they want to trade him in order to keep a guy who is 5'10", is selfish, has mental issues, and who is in a 4-weeks slump at a price of $7MM/year. (Arroyo has been playing pretty well for more than a month and some people here is still waiting for him to have two bad games in a row to ask for his head).

Who the **** shall be traded then?? Of course... the highly-overpaid and lower-productive players. Let me tell you something, if you guys want to cover him that's ok, but IMO, if Otis Smith should've been working in any other kind of private industry making these kind of desicions he would've been fired by now. If you have Hedo as your small forward... why the **** you bring in another one for $118MM?? With a little bit more money you could had bring Kevin Garnett for God's sake!! The power forward that you all are praying for. And what about Jameer Nelson's $35MM contract extension... that was totally senseless. As if Jameer was some kind of Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Andre Miller... gimme a break. Otis should've wait... but you know, that's his boy...

Now... what you have is two small forwards, one playing all-star basketball but people here wants him to be traded, and the other one playing average with a 'Super Star' contract that will not allow us to go out there and buy an all-star free agent during the next off-season. AND... we also have in the same manner two PGs, one playing solid basketball but people here wants him to be traded, and the other one playing crappy with an over-paid contract.

I know it's not easy to get rid of contracts such as Jameer's and Rashard's (especially if they are not playing as expected)... but this is all our GM's fault, period. He messed it, he shall find a way to fix it. And please don't tell me that freaking Mikael Pietrus or pathetic Jake Voskul are the solution.

I hope we don't trade Hedo but i would not be totally against it...but the only way i would be for it is if we got an extremely good PF in return. If we were another organization i would say we could get a big man in the draft coming up but even if that was the case we wouldn't play him so we would have to trade to get a good PF since we don't have the money to sign anyone in the offseason. I feel that a good PF is all this team is missing to become a true contender for a title because of D12.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Military, you come up with any realistic scenarios?

Actually, your Marion scenario isn't that far-fetched. I think Marion would kill here. Take our current rotation and replace Hedo with Marion and suddenly we have an very balanced starting lineup, positions 1-4 can still shoot the 3 ball, and our interior D and rebounding will be vastly improved.

Of course... if one looks closer... we could actually trade Rashard for Marion. But PHX is so wary of luxury tax right now there's no chance that would happen.

Excuse me while I rant a moment, the only way we get anything NEAR proper return on our Rashard investment is to get him back to SF, playing against other small forwards and dominating with his superior length and size at that position. If we're about to send Hedo to the bench to make this happen, we had sure as heck better trade Hedo while he's getting 38mpg and putting up all-star performances.

I can't fault Otis/SVG for trying this experiment of playing Rashard and Hedo at the forward spots but the experiment is proving NOT to be a championship-caliber experiment. Rashard and Hedo on the floor at the same time just doesn't make enough sense.

It's a giant catch-22. If we get a talented starting true PF, either Rashard or Hedo goes to the bench. But how do we attain a PF that is guaranteed to be a better option than Rashard? Most likely, it will involve trading Hedo.

If we want to be a championship team, it's inevitable that we trade Hedo unless some idiot GM signs their PF to a max contract and turns around and plays his expensive PF at SF where he gets dominated by faster, quicker opponents. Only then do we ever find a trading partner for Rashard, haha.

quote:
Originally posted by Bori:

I'm with you Turk... most people here say some things really amazing, or as you said: totally ridiculous. I've read surreal kind of things in these forums. They are talking about trading Hedo, when Hedo is actually our go-to-guy and for a reasonable price. Instead, they should be talking about trading Rashard Lewis, who plays Hedo's same position, is not even playing near Hedo's game, and a small detail... he has a $118MM contract.

In the same way, they are talking about trading Carlos Arroyo, who is doing an outstanding job as our starting PG delivering assists, scoring at good % and last night made 0 turnovers in 30 minutes... for $4MM. So they want to trade him in order to keep a guy who is 5'10", is selfish, has mental issues, and who is in a 4-weeks slump at a price of $7MM/year. (Arroyo has been playing pretty well for more than a month and some people here is still waiting for him to have two bad games in a row to ask for his head).

Who the **** shall be traded then?? Of course... the highly-overpaid and lower-productive players. Let me tell you something, if you guys want to cover him that's ok, but IMO, if Otis Smith should've been working in any other kind of private industry making these kind of desicions he would've been fired by now. If you have Hedo as your small forward... why the **** you bring in another one for $118MM?? With a little bit more money you could had bring Kevin Garnett for God's sake!! The power forward that you all are praying for. And what about Jameer Nelson's $35MM contract extension... that was totally senseless. As if Jameer was some kind of Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Andre Miller... gimme a break. Otis should've wait... but you know, that's his boy...

Now... what you have is two small forwards, one playing all-star basketball but people here wants him to be traded, and the other one playing average with a 'Super Star' contract that will not allow us to go out there and buy an all-star free agent during the next off-season. AND... we also have in the same manner two PGs, one playing solid basketball but people here wants him to be traded, and the other one playing crappy with an over-paid contract.

I know it's not easy to get rid of contracts such as Jameer's and Rashard's (especially if they are not playing as expected)... but this is all our GM's fault, period. He messed it, he shall find a way to fix it. And please don't tell me that freaking Mikael Pietrus or pathetic Jake Voskul are the solution.

There is no even a word to add your comments Bori. I completely agree with you. And I want to say Carlos must be starting PG too..

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:

Actually, your Marion scenario isn't that far-fetched. I think Marion would kill here. Take our current rotation and replace Hedo with Marion and suddenly we have an very balanced starting lineup, positions 1-4 can still shoot the 3 ball, and our interior D and rebounding will be vastly improved.

Of course... if one looks closer... we could actually trade Rashard for Marion. But PHX is so wary of luxury tax right now there's no chance that would happen.

Excuse me while I rant a moment, the only way we get anything NEAR proper return on our Rashard investment is to get him back to SF, playing against other small forwards and dominating with his superior length and size at that position. If we're about to send Hedo to the bench to make this happen, we had sure as heck better trade Hedo while he's getting 38mpg and putting up all-star performances.

I can't fault Otis/SVG for trying this experiment of playing Rashard and Hedo at the forward spots but the experiment is proving NOT to be a championship-caliber experiment. Rashard and Hedo on the floor at the same time just doesn't make enough sense.

It's a giant catch-22. If we get a talented starting true PF, either Rashard or Hedo goes to the bench. But how do we attain a PF that is guaranteed to be a better option than Rashard? Most likely, it will involve trading Hedo.

If we want to be a championship team, it's inevitable that we trade Hedo unless some idiot GM signs their PF to a max contract and turns around and plays his expensive PF at SF where he gets dominated by faster, quicker opponents. Only then do we ever find a trading partner for Rashard, haha.

Yeah, but the thought of Hedo going to the bench isn't that horrible. Hedo could be a Ginobli type player and come in to play 30 minutes a game. The reason he is so valuable is because he can play so many different positions. I think I'd much rather trade away a piece that isn't contributing due to our rotation than rather trade away an all star player who, if used right, could still be an all star caliber player coming off the bench. And who knows, maybe we move Hedo to SG if a trade for a true PF happens. Why not?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:

Yeah, but the thought of Hedo going to the bench isn't that horrible. Hedo could be a Ginobli type player and come in to play 30 minutes a game. The reason he is so valuable is because he can play so many different positions. I think I'd much rather trade away a piece that isn't contributing due to our rotation than rather trade away an all star player who, if used right, could still be an all star caliber player coming off the bench. And who knows, maybe we move Hedo to SG if a trade for a true PF happens. Why not?

That's totally fair and some good reasons why it may not be inevitable. There are definitely a lot of possibilities with Hedo b/c he's so versatile. If there's a player that can be molded into different roles quickly and successfully, I believe Turk is a candidate.

Hedo as an SG really intrigues me. Fast-forward to next season with a healthy Battie. Does Battie start at PF and then we slide Hedo to the 2 and Rashard to the 3? If we pick up some more frontcourt depth with the MLE or through trades it's totally possible.

I dunno. I am disheartened by our roster right now and the lineups SVG is using. Rashard is at best an above-average PF. Hedo is at best an average PF. Yet these guys are filling out nearly 39mpg at the position between each other. On the other hand, both players are well above average at the SF position - historically Rashard is even better than Hedo is right now. As long as we're trying to juggle these two around at the forward positions we're going to be severely stunting the overall growth of our team. Even if Turk comes off the bench we're still dealing with this conundrum.

I guess we should have kept Grant Hill, of course if it was possible, i knew that hill wanted to go but dont know the reason. He could add points from the bench as he is doing for phnx, Otis was so excited to bring a star, Shard is good, he can score, however his contract is too heavy... I dont think that shard can be traded to other team. thats why there are thoughts to trade turk.

Hedo is a great player, he can play as pf, sf, even sg, i know he can play, i have been watching him more than 10 years( since efes pilsen days)... His minutes increased and he started to become the key player of the team. He made big contributions since 2004. Turk is playing good with D12, he is playing unselfishly. These is it good, but for the last two games, he used our final shot, we need alternatives. Shard or D12 needs to use those shots too, SVG needs to work on this. Hedo's lack in the past was dribblings, he always preferred shooting than dribbling, but this year he dives, dribbles, he is becoming more agressive, I think coaching staff is helping him a lot. Thats good, but sometimes he lost his focus, i saw bad passes in the last two game, he needs to concentrate more, not only hedo, d12 also needs to work on free throws and last shots...

Instead of trading Hedo, we should work on the rotation, SVG needs to bring the guys from the bench. Magic bench was productive in the last two years, but this year is not good as last three year... we should bring Brian Cook, and Aug to rotation, after the first 6 minutes, they can play with d12. If we play with these guys, hedo or shard can play at 3.

I would prefer hedo stay with our team till the end of his contract, then we should try to keep him, as he is really developing, he will become more experienced next year, i guess we should focus on improving bench, if we do it, we will be contender...