Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Should we extend Jameer? (Brian Schmidtz Blog)

The thing about Jameer is that some team will sign him to an offer sheet.The reason being is that most teams see his last minute heroics on ESPN and not the inconsistent play. I believe some teams will over pay and thus we could wind up losing him. I don't see him playing with the same chip on his shoulder. I would love to see him with a different coach, but that's a whole other story.

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

The thing about Jameer is that some team will sign him to an offer sheet.The reason being is that most teams see his last minute heroics on ESPN and not the inconsistent play. I believe some teams will over pay and thus we could wind up losing him. I don't see him playing with the same chip on his shoulder. I would love to see him with a different coach, but that's a whole other story.

I would like to think you are wrong and scouts are more adept than just seeing the highlights on SportCenter. Having said that I recall a certain team in a large market signing Jerome James to a full mid-level deal based off of him playing 2 good games in a playoff series and carrying around a garbage bag. There will always be a team that hands out stupid money to players. I just do not think management can worry about that when assesing his future value. There will be so many point guards coming in the league in the next year or 2 plus this year there is Billups, Mo Williams, and Steve Blake. I really think at this point offer him nothing and if he walks, he walks.

I agree he loves the clutch shot(winning shot), yet most games are not won with clutch shots, and Jameer is not doing the job during the first three quarters to win the rest of the games. If Carter comes he will make the shot and not Jameer. Assists and turnovers is where he has to concentrate if he wants to be a starter next year. I think his offers from many teams will not be that good and Orlando will be able to match them if they want him.

He reminds me a lot of Bobby Jackson. In that role (ie. coming off the bench, scoring a crap-load of points, 'turning the tide,' etc), he'd rule. Unfortunately...

Yeah, he could learn from Billups or Bibby.