Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

The Road to the White House

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

I still have not heard any of the candidates really try to solve issues, they are just constantly trying to put each other down, just because of that, lack of class from all of them, I wouldn't vote for any of them.

My personal favorite so far is listening to Chuck Norris put down John McCain with his "he'll age 12 years in the White House" argument. I'm wondering if Huckabee needs to send Norris back to 'Nam to find more missing POWs. Clearly, something is missing.

In Soviet Vietnam, Norris Chucks You!

$800 won't do jack crap to most. I mean I would welcome it, if eligible, sure, I can pay a credit card or something, but a lot of people won't spend it, they will try to save it for leaner times, when they really need it and it won't really move the economy to a point where we will all be ok...

Chuck Norris....what a joke....Conan and Colbert keep joking back and forth about Chuck and how they revived him, etc, etc...its funny....

I don't think America will go republican, just because they think all the problems we have right now are caused by the reps. But on the other hand, you will have a woman and/or a black man. Is america ready for either?

This is going to be an interesting election. But I just don't see any real changes coming anytime soon...

Now if Bill Gates donates enough money to give $5,000 to every american that makes less than 100k a year, with some other restrictions, then the economy might get boosted a little....lol...

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

$800 won't do jack crap to most. I mean I would welcome it, if eligible, sure, I can pay a credit card or something, but a lot of people won't spend it, they will try to save it for leaner times, when they really need it and it won't really move the economy to a point where we will all be ok...

Right. The problem is that people like me would get the 800, and then immediately stick into a bank account or CD or something to try to save it up for, as you said, leaner times. Not nearly enough of it will get pumped back into the economy to accomplish anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Slightly off topic, but I felt like THIS article was pretty worth reading for everyone, and 50% of the people they trash are politicians.

#32 is great!

DOM, Davcivic, and WP:

Kindly send me your $800.00 checks when you receive them. I am sure that I can find something useful to do with them.

But seriously, if Bush really wanted to give the economy a boost in a concrete, measureable way, why not eliminate the gas tax for 60 or 90 days? The drop in gas prices would spur any number of different economic sectors. Also, there wouldn't be any concern about people not spending the money.

Of course, the sticker shock of the gas price jumps once the tax went back into effect would probably be enough to bump the economy back down again.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Slightly off topic, but I felt like THIS article was pretty worth reading for everyone, and 50% of the people they trash are politicians.

#32 is great!

9 is still my favorite. So appropriate. Though as a liberal, #5 strikes home for me. Reid and Pelosi have both been completely useless.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

DOM, Davcivic, and WP:

Kindly send me your $800.00 checks when you receive them. I am sure that I can find something useful to do with them.

But seriously, if Bush really wanted to give the economy a boost in a concrete, measureable way, why not eliminate the gas tax for 60 or 90 days? The drop in gas prices would spur any number of different economic sectors. Also, there wouldn't be any concern about people not spending the money.

Of course, the sticker shock of the gas price jumps once the tax went back into effect would probably be enough to bump the economy back down again.

If I remember right, a few years ago North Carolina did exactly what you suggested with their state gas tax, and that exact sequence played out.

Don't get me wrong...I want the $800...but I probably won't infuse them into the economy...I will keep and or use to pay some bills. Not to purchase anything and get it back into the system....

I will probably put it in the bank, and use it to pay more bills...

anyhow...I think I heard all you had to do is make less than $100k a year....to qualify for something, and from there down, you will get different amounts of money back...Some will get $800, some will get less.

If it weren't for it's horrible ramifications on the economy, I would support tripling the gas tax. That would do more than anything to increase the search for a viable alternative fuel.