Sign in to follow this  
Svanxx

The Official Matt Guokas Appreciation Thread

Guokas would at least occasionally discuss where the Magic could improve. Guys like Turner and Adubato only talk about things like how one of the Magic players is putting up big (essentially meaningless) numbers while we're getting blown out by 30. They don't add anything to the game at all. I hope the Magic choose someone decently informative.

I listen on satellite to Magic games occasionally, and sometimes it's the other teams broadcast. I hear their color guys, and I haven't heard the "homers" that everyone talks about. If anything, they really get on their team when the team isn't performing the way they think it should. I think it's the radio broadcast, however, not TV.

While I have heard him refer to the Magic as "we", I've also heard him saying that a call that went in our favor shouldn't have. I thought that would be the measure of bias, instead of how he references the team. He seems to have no problem saying a lost ball out of bounds hit our guy last and the refs got it wrong, or that a Magic player shouldn't have gotten a foul call in his favor, that he didn't see the foul. That, to me, is unbiased. I listen to other teams' announcers and they sound like their team can do no wrong and every call should go in their favor. Haven't heard that from Richie.

As for the tendency to not stop talking, it's possible he could adapt to the TV side of the house instead of the radio. Especially if he has people who will tell him to shut up every once in a while.

I won't even bother with the other stuff, I'll just say he has a grating voice that annoys the hell out of me. He also doesn't have much rhythm or flow, something that's kind of essential for a broadcaster, especially if what you're saying is inconsequential. I don't expect Hubie Brown greatness, but it would be nice to have someone with interesting things to say.

There was an article today on Yahoo by Kelly Dwyer pretty much ripping the Magic for not renewing Matty.

"The news won’t matter much to fair weather NBA fans, but to those of us that make our living diving into the NBA League Pass package from October until April, desperately trying to keep up with each of the league’s 30 teams, Guokas has been a welcome voice throughout the legions of both blithely unaware and doggedly partisan local NBA color analysts. That isn’t to say I don’t enjoy the great majority of local color guys, as that majority are usually quite good.Guokas was great, though. The best, perhaps. And he won’t be back with the Magic next season, for whatever reason."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/matt-guokas-let-orlando-magic-television-analyst-don-193815943.html

this really sucks. it better not be turner...everybody on magic broadcasts is annoying to me except gouks and steele. I Love gouks. why don't they fire paul kennedy or dante GAH!

terrible and unexpected news. goukas was great, really a joy to listen to. we would joke that he was high bc he would stare into space when asked a question by steele, but that's besides the point. me and my friends will miss him

Bring the Goose back!

Goose's Keys to the game:

1) Rebounding

2) Defense

3) Rebounding