Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Bulls shopping Big Ben

Serious trade talk typically doesn't begin until January in the NBA, but logic would suggest Chicago Bulls general manager John Paxson is ready to explore ways to trade center Ben Wallace.

The Bulls would have to pay a premium, but one positive is that his contract was front-loaded, which means from the original $60 million deal, he's owed $28.5 million over the next two seasons.

"Change is not always bad," Wallace said after Saturday's dismal 116-98 home loss to Houston. "If everybody wants to be here, we have to step it up."

The most obvious trade targets for the Bulls are New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd and Memphis Grizzlies center Pau Gasol. [READ]

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49935/20071226/b...ady_to_deal_wallace/

Big ben is the big man, we need, but he is getting paid 10 million, but if their was a chance...... Its nice to dream

Serious trade talk typically doesn't begin until January in the NBA, but logic would suggest Chicago Bulls general manager John Paxson is ready to explore ways to trade center Ben Wallace.

The Bulls would have to pay a premium, but one positive is that his contract was front-loaded, which means from the original $60 million deal, he's owed $28.5 million over the next two seasons.

"Change is not always bad," Wallace said after Saturday's dismal 116-98 home loss to Houston. "If everybody wants to be here, we have to step it up."

The most obvious trade targets for the Bulls are New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd and Memphis Grizzlies center Pau Gasol. [READ]

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49935/20071226/b...ady_to_deal_wallace/

Big ben is the big man, we need, but he is getting paid 10 million, but if their was a chance...... Its nice to dream

If Ben was alot cheaper then I would be all for it, but lets face it we already have a bigman who is declining and cant score offensively.

If anything maybe we should explore what we already have. Marcin Gortat is a big man who can score and play defense (at what level of defense, we dont know). I do know he did pretty good during the summer league, but thats not really where you want to gage wether a player can hang in the NBA.

I would like to avoid spending more money, without really and fully exploring are options.

I know we have plenty of Guards that we can easily trade, but maybe we should think about a long term solution.

If can have someone like Marcin fill in and give us the boost we need, because its not like we are losing every game (just the ones at home...lol), then we can have some cap room to sign a decent PF free Agent or even make some kind of sign and trade deal for a higher spot in the draft.

I actually think Joe Smith is a much better fit as a PF on the Magic roster. I wonder what the chances are we could trade Garrity exp contract for Smith?

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

Once again what about exploring are option of Marcin and then saving our expiring contract money for what could be the final piece to win a championship.

I have to think that marcin isn't ready for the NBA... I mean, we obviously have a need at PF, Marcin IS on the roster, and he gets absoultely no playing time. Maybe he just isn't getting it in practice and is getting totally worked over. Who knows.

Explore Marcin? I don't think he's worth exploring. And by Auggie getting PT and Marcin not even dressing for most games, the coaches don't think he is worth exploring either. Let's get a vet 4 man who can rebound and knock down an open jumper...Joe Smith.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

Once again what about exploring are option of Marcin and then saving our expiring contract money for what could be the final piece to win a championship.

I have to think that marcin isn't ready for the NBA... I mean, we obviously have a need at PF, Marcin IS on the roster, and he gets absoultely no playing time. Maybe he just isn't getting it in practice and is getting totally worked over. Who knows.

Great point that is being missed now that so many posters are so sure that SVG and Otis are complete morons and know less basketball than the average poster on this board.

quote:
Originally posted by RodMC:

I actually think Joe Smith is a much better fit as a PF on the Magic roster. I wonder what the chances are we could trade Garrity exp contract for Smith?

We'd have to spice that deal up a good bit until the Bulls decide they aren't going to win crap this year. It might be a while before the Bulls are looking to straight-up dump Joe Smith.

Anyhow, looking at Ben Wallace, he isn't the right guy for the job. Whoever we play at PF/C alongside Dwight needs to be able to shoot the ball to some degree and have some offensive skill. SVG and Otis went way overboard with their "4 shooters" philosophy, but I also believe that we shouldn't put any pure defense/rebounding-only players alongside Dwight in the starting lineup or else it will be even easier to shut Dwight down.

If Ben Wallace was cheaper and was a bench player, I'd say we snap him right up, though.

Let's see we have Cook at 3.5m and Garrity at 3.8m that equals 7.3m. All we have to do is get a trading partner. Why should that be so difficult? Maybe because neither player should be in the NBA.