Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Somebody just Slammed on a *****

Yeah, yeah. Didn't say that we were better off with Ariza being here. I didn't even say Ariza's name in the 1 post of this thread so how do you guys know it was Ariza? It could have been Steve Nash!!

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Did anyone see the elevation and the slam somebody got today. He just slammed right on Raja Bell like he was ****. There goes that theory that he lost his explosion on offense.

Just posted it here because "THIS WOULD BE SOMETHING THAT WOULD SPARK OUR TEAM". Remember, everytime somebody did this, we were 7-0. When he did this, we were on a win streak.

Ariza posters live on!!!

It is stated here, and was on the original post before being edited. Other posters also mentioned Ariza's name, and spoke of the game in commenting that it was on Grant Hill. I also saw it, since i am watching the game....so 2 + 2....

quote:
Thats exactly what he was meant to be used for and yet he's called a situational player here. Ariza's offense is really slashing and dunking but did it work? Hell yes.

The way the Lakers distribute the ball to Ariza looks even more impressive. Just saw who I thought was Lamar Odom jump in the air to shoot but he passed it to Ariza for the open dunk. If dunking is Ariza's offense, what is Dwight's?

Here is another reference to Ariza. The question is still out there, and was not directed at any one poster, just offered to add to the discussion that was obviously about Trevor and his ability to contribute in this system.

quote:
Originally posted by bballbabe:

quote:
Thats exactly what he was meant to be used for and yet he's called a situational player here. Ariza's offense is really slashing and dunking but did it work? Hell yes.

The way the Lakers distribute the ball to Ariza looks even more impressive. Just saw who I thought was Lamar Odom jump in the air to shoot but he passed it to Ariza for the open dunk. If dunking is Ariza's offense, what is Dwight's?

Here is another reference to Ariza. The question is still out there, and was not directed at any one poster, just offered to add to the discussion that was obviously about Trevor and his ability to contribute in this system.

Duh, I was joking in my last post. You guys take things so serial.

I don't understand how trevor would have congested the middle. He is not a post up player. He slashes and finishes. He cleans up missed shots, get offensive rebounds. He can also defend fast tall players. All these things he does and our team does not.

quote:
Originally posted by bballbabe:

Question: Isn't the way Ariza was used (or not used) here vs. the way he is used in LA comparing apples to oranges? It just seems to me that it would be different because the focal points are different. Ours is Dwight, a post player and theirs being Kobe, a create for himself guard.

If Kobe is setting up a bit outside the box and drawing his double teams and the defense to him, wouldn't that create more space for Ariza to clean up than it would for him here in Orlando, where Dwight is set up in the post and drawing everyone to him inside? I don't get how you all are saying he could have been used the same way here. I don't see what you all see, and don't agree that we would be better off if Ariza was still here.

I'll preface this by saying Ariza isn't playing any bigger role in LA than he was in Orlando. So, anybody suggesting he is being used differently or more effectively in LA is off base.

However, LA's paint is more conjested than ours so all these excuses are equally misguided. Bynum conjests their paint far more than D12 with or without the ball in his hands because he isn't as active as D12 offensively. You guys act like D12 is still playing elementary basketball under Napolean. The vast majority of Dwight's touches aren't even coming on the box this year and he's without question the most active player we have in the half court.

You don't need to hit 3 pointers to create spacing, but your offense can't be stagnant either. LA runs the triangle. The players and the ball are constantly moving, unless it's in Kobe's hands. Our offense when being run correctly has far more motion than Napoleans and Ariza wouldn't need to be able to hit 3's in order to excel. That's simply a preference of SVG's! He wants to jack up a lot of 3's! Besides, if you want to double off Ariza, he's proven he'll go to the rim and that's we're he's most effective.

Lastly, the notion that it's easier for Ariza to play off Kobe than Dwight because Kobe in a perimeter player also ignores 5 more paragraphs of explaination about these two offensive systems I don't care to explain. But, it's as misguided as the other comments. The facts are that Ariza excels on the break, in transition, and around the basket. He'd fit in any system as long as the coach is willing to fit him in.

If he can excell in Napoleans stagnant azz offense, he'd certainly excell in an offense with more running and more motion. If Napolean had attempted to get D12 the ball other than on the block, it would have solved many of our spacing issues in his elementary offense as well.

quote:
Originally posted by fan for too long:

I don't understand how trevor would have congested the middle. He is not a post up player. He slashes and finishes. He cleans up missed shots, get offensive rebounds. He can also defend fast tall players. All these things he does and our team does not.

My point was that Dwight draws defenders to the middle which causes it to be more congested and therefore more difficult for Ariza to get his slash and finish shots. Kobe draws the defense to the outside and that creates more opportunities for a player like Trevor to clean up. So, he should be doing better in that system.

What is the point of discussing Ariza here? Is the point that we should not have traded him because we need dunks? Dwight gives us plenty of those and Evans cleans and dunks in pretty much the same way Ariza did. Hell, he dunked his first game here and everyone was excited. What makes his dunks any different than Trevors. I really liked Ariza, and if you saw any of my past posts, i even wanted him to start this year. But, that was before seeing what SVG was doing, and his plan was not helpful to a player like Ariza with no shot (yet).

The Ariza watch:

14pts, 7rebs, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

So much for your idol Stan Van Gundy taking all of Ariza's minutes and giving it to Pat Garrity.. For a guy who Van Gundy didn't think was useful at all, to start a game for LA, not too shabby.

Otis and Stan, thanks for your brilliance and evaluation of talent.

Ariza's one of the few ex Magic players I'll always be a fan of. Gotta feel good for Trevor, at least he's not in a mediocre organization anymore

Merry Christmas everybody

quote:
Originally posted by Orlando Mellow:

The Ariza watch:

14pts, 7rebs, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

So much for your idol Stan Van Gundy taking all of Ariza's minutes and giving it to Pat Garrity..

Otis and Stan, thanks for your brilliance and evaluation of talent.

Ariza's one of the few ex Magic players I'll always be a fan of. Gotta feel good for Trevor, at least he's not in a mediocre organization anymore

Merry Christmas everybody

And we were winning almost every game at the time.

I can agree we could have, should have gotten more for Trevor, but I find it hard to believe Trevor is the reason we've stopped winning and if he was here we could have avoided it.