Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

FANS GAME THREAD * Magic vs. Memphis * Dec. 15th

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Observations from my first live game of the year:

Very impressed with D12's development. Very impressed with how SVG's system utilizes D12 and all the passing angles he creates for D12 to receive the ball in scoring position. I've recognized all this on TV, but the speed, and decisiveness D12 plays with now is impressive.

Very impressed with Hedo's overall aggressiveness. I think this is the player many long felt he would become after those first few seasons in Sactown.

I was also pretty pleased with JJ's play. He did a respectable job defensively and flashed some of his versatility. Biggest problem JJ has offensively is that his teammates aren't looking for him. I don't know if he doesn't have their respect, they aren't used to looking for him, or they are too selfish??? But, I saw guys looking to get others shots on the perimeter while JJ was on the floor and that just defies logic.

Special note to Jameer. JJ is the best pure shooter on the roster. When JJ's unguarded on the 3 pt. line in transition, break him off. You get JJ open looks in rythem and he's going to hit at a better rate than anybody on this roster by a wide margin. The more teams pay attention to him, the less open looks he'll get, so you better starting finding him in transition. Remember how we used to look for 3D in transition? Did you notice how Lowry always looks for Navarro in transition?

Blarrity & Mo Evans are pathetic. Evans is a good athlete, but a horrible basketball player. Blarrity is just useless. He's been with us for 11 games and has what? 22 pts. & 8 rebs??? So happy we'll have him for 2 1/2 more years!

I've said this before, but how does a GM go into the regular season with 3 scrubs like Garrity, Augy, & Gortat as your #3,4, & 5 front court players? I'm not trying to make Andre Brown out to be a star, but at least the guy can contribute. He started the season in the D-League, we start the season with 3 useless players??? Does that make any sense at all?

While on that subject. Augustine on Rudy Gay? A plate of cheeseburgers had a better chance surviving at fat camp. I've seen **** scenes on Oz prettier than that matchup. I can't even claim the guy got abused because it looked like Gay was playing against air...

nice write ,and totaly agree on Evans part ...

sometimes missing Ariza when i watch Evans&Cook

quote:
Originally posted by Big L:

They have a very soft lineup with Darko at C and Gay at PF. D12 should have a monster game. Look for Hedo and Shard to school Gay , if they make him work hard on D they might wear him down and take him out of his offensive rhythm. Then what we need to do is limit Miller's open shots and we should have a solid win.

Not what I was expecting from Darko. Terrible game for him. Both teams had key players injured so I don't want to hear, "well we didn't have Shard."

Darko - 1 Magic - 0

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

quote:
Originally posted by Big L:

They have a very soft lineup with Darko at C and Gay at PF. D12 should have a monster game. Look for Hedo and Shard to school Gay , if they make him work hard on D they might wear him down and take him out of his offensive rhythm. Then what we need to do is limit Miller's open shots and we should have a solid win.

Not what I was expecting from Darko. Terrible game for him. Both teams had key players injured so I don't want to hear, "well we didn't have Shard."

Darko - 1 Magic - 0

I agree. I've seen Darko give Duncan & Yao all they could handle this year and I was very interested to see this matchup. Darko missed several games with 2 seperate injuries and is just getting back into a rythem, but I'm that much more impressed with D12 after this game, as well as how SVG utilizes D12. Darko's been very tough defensively this year and D12 had no problem with him at all. Again, I credit SVG's use of D12.

I also said in a post I was anxious to see Gay matched up vs. Lewis because I firmly believe Gay is better & will only get better. He's a very complete player. Anybody making that comment obviously hasn't seen him play this year. On top of that, it's just so effortless for him. Very smooth player.

Stock up:

J.J. Redick. (I only read the last page of this thread because I'm in a hurry, but any of you say that Redick did a bad job defensively then you're just crazy. Maybe he just seemed like he was hustling by comparison because everyone else except maybe Dooling and Bogans were just flat defensively. But J.J. stole the ball and almost caused a great fast break basket, jumped in Rudy Gay's path to cause a bad pass and a turnover, he was very active.

I see it all the time across the NBA and it drives me nuts. Rotations to a fault.. don't LEAVE Navarro. Don't LEAVE Mike Miller. There's just some guys you don't leave at the three point line! Everyone got this wrong all night and not just J.J. P.S. Jameer's the worst at this, cheating off hot three point shooters. You don't help from there, you help from somewhere else! Am I speaking gibberish here?? If I can figure this out, why can't players and coaches? But to you guys, if you can't bother to pay close attention to what's happening in the game then dplease don't come out here and spout off like you know what's going on because in this case, J.J. was NOT our biggest problem defensively tonight. He made a positive impact overall.)

Carlos Arroyo. (Once again, we missed him terribly. Don't let the media fool you we actually miss Carlos more than Rashard in this game... and trust me, it pains me to say such things! But the truth is the truth, even if I still don't trust the guy completely he was still ballin' before the foot got sore.)

Turnovers. (Hey! We only had 14 turnovers! Yay! Unfortunately they turned into 24 Memphis points, but at least it wasn't 18-26 turnovers like it has been lately. It's an improvement so the stock goes up, that's how I roll.)

Stock Down:

Adonal Foyle. (Yeah, uh.... we were outscored by 10 points while he was on the floor in only 6 total minutes. That's not good. That's not holding the fort down so Dwight can get a breather. Baby steps.. please don't catch the ball cleanly when it is passed to you. I'm not asking for any points! Just don't fumble the ball around when it's in your general area. Please.)

Maurice Evans. (He was shaky last time out and this time he was straight terrible. He was blocked a bunch and was only 3 of 11 from the floor... also his shot didn't seem confident at all from 3 land... probably his first pretty bad game in a Magic uniform. I guess he was due, but he better pull it together. You hear that? That's the sound of Keith Bogans' starting job getting even more secure.)

Jameer Nelson. (Okay Dwight was Dwight, Hedo was Hedo, but where's Jameer been? He hasn't been 2006 terrible or anything, it's not like he's got 7 turnovers a game. But he's just disappearing. I've been saying his whole career that he'll never be the next Steve Nash or Jason Kidd, but he could be the next Tony Parker. Why? Because he can't be stopped when he takes it to the basket! He rarely gets an offensive foul or turns it over when he can make it to the paint. Usually it's a layup, jump shot in the lane, a lob for Dwight, or worst case scenario the ball is deflected out of bounds and stays with the Magic.

I bring this up because in the first quarter he could turn the corner on the pick n' roll and get to the basket ALL night. So what does he do for the last three quarters? Hang around the perimeter and get the quietest 18 points and 8 assists you've ever seen. You're like, well that makes no sense! Yeah it does because Memphis outscored Orlando by 3 points while Jameer was on the floor. He wasn't changing the game! Meanwhile by comparison, the Magic outscored Memphis by 6 while Dwight was on the floor. I think you get the point.. Jameer needs to show up on both ends of the floor one of these days. Maybe he should pretend it's preseason and he doesn't have a contract extension yet.)

Yuck.. for some reason I don't feel as bad as I do about the Atlanta game because this game felt like the game we lost in San Antonio. Memphis just played a perfect offensive game, they would of beaten many NBA teams tonight. The Magic could of maybe applied some better defensive pressure BEFORE the last few minutes of the game. That possibly would of made more of a difference over time, at least cause more than only 10 turnovers for Memphis.

Right now we have a top 3 seed in the East offense, but a lottery defense. I thought SVG was going to maintain our level of D from last year? What happened to that??

No Darko, no Battie, no Ariza. That's what happened to that. (I'm not giving Grant Hill credit for great defense that we have now lost... because it wasn't that good!) You go to war with the guys you have and the guys we have need to pick it up when we don't have possession of the basketball. It's just that simple. I'm not hatin' on Dwight and I'm not hatin' on Hedo. I'm hatin' on everyone else, last time I checked they're getting paid too.

Dallas. Houston. Utah. Boston. Well at least only one of those games are at home, right? Right?? Yeah, I'd be happy with a 2-2 split. 3 would make me ecstatic. Dallas is possible, Dwight makes Houston possible because Yao can't handle him, it depends on which Utah team shows up, and Boston in Boston..? We'll see.

I thought JJ played pretty well overall tonight. Thanks to B Hill this is almost like his Rookie year and unfortunataley I think some players like Jameer view it that way but he has to realise that assistas are as important for his stats as points especially when you have a shooter as good as JJ.

When you have a team that just seemed to hit 3's at will then you either tighten up on defense, whch we can't do atm and/or you hit back with 3's and with Shard missing give it to JJ. AT the moment he's open because otherteams know he won't get the ball, let's use that while we can!

quote:
Originally posted by Doa:

quote:
Originally posted by the anchovie:

quote:
Originally posted by Redickulous:

Why did Mike Miller and Dwight exchange jersey's?

That was funny.

Then announcer said it was a European Tradition.

Makes sense.

It's been a while since I've posted here.

Let me clear things up about the jersey exchange. Both are members of Team USA, and when the members of Team USA play against each other they agreed to exchange jerseys at the end of the game.

I think if Darko hadn't of been injured earlier in the season, thumb and ankle injuries he would have given Dwight a run for his money, just look what he had done against Tim Duncan and Yoa Ming before Darko was injuired.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Observations from my first live game of the year:

Very impressed with D12's development. Very impressed with how SVG's system utilizes D12 and all the passing angles he creates for D12 to receive the ball in scoring position. I've recognized all this on TV, but the speed, and decisiveness D12 plays with now is impressive.

Very impressed with Hedo's overall aggressiveness. I think this is the player many long felt he would become after those first few seasons in Sactown.

I was also pretty pleased with JJ's play. He did a respectable job defensively and flashed some of his versatility. Biggest problem JJ has offensively is that his teammates aren't looking for him. I don't know if he doesn't have their respect, they aren't used to looking for him, or they are too selfish??? But, I saw guys looking to get others shots on the perimeter while JJ was on the floor and that just defies logic.

Special note to Jameer. JJ is the best pure shooter on the roster. When JJ's unguarded on the 3 pt. line in transition, break him off. You get JJ open looks in rythem and he's going to hit at a better rate than anybody on this roster by a wide margin. The more teams pay attention to him, the less open looks he'll get, so you better starting finding him in transition. Remember how we used to look for 3D in transition? Did you notice how Lowry always looks for Navarro in transition?

Blarrity & Mo Evans are pathetic. Evans is a good athlete, but a horrible basketball player. Blarrity is just useless. He's been with us for 11 games and has what? 22 pts. & 8 rebs??? So happy we'll have him for 2 1/2 more years!

I've said this before, but how does a GM go into the regular season with 3 scrubs like Garrity, Augy, & Gortat as your #3,4, & 5 front court players? I'm not trying to make Andre Brown out to be a star, but at least the guy can contribute. He started the season in the D-League, we start the season with 3 useless players??? Does that make any sense at all?

While on that subject. Augustine on Rudy Gay? A plate of cheeseburgers had a better chance surviving at fat camp. I've seen **** scenes on Oz prettier than that matchup. I can't even claim the guy got abused because it looked like Gay was playing against air...

Very good post, Ghost, and I thought I saw some of the same things on TV, especially the ignoring of JJ. I'm also not sure if it's intentional; I suspect not, I suspect JJ is on the floor so little that no one remembers to look for him when he is out there.

I was also one of the posters over the summer who posted repeatedly about our "big man" problem. I agree that the blame there goes to the GM.

I fully agree with the guy who posted the one line comment a few pages ago on this thread, that you don't win when you give up 120+ in regulation. That's all there is to it!

I too, always complain that players don't look for JJ when he's in the game. JCN is EXACTLY what JJ is and you saw how Memphis utilized him (27 pts; 5 threes).

quote:
Originally posted by Robert56:

quote:
Originally posted by Doa:

quote:
Originally posted by the anchovie:

quote:
Originally posted by Redickulous:

Why did Mike Miller and Dwight exchange jersey's?

That was funny.

Then announcer said it was a European Tradition.

Makes sense.

It's been a while since I've posted here.

Let me clear things up about the jersey exchange. Both are members of Team USA, and when the members of Team USA play against each other they agreed to exchange jerseys at the end of the game.

I think if Darko hadn't of been injured earlier in the season, thumb and ankle injuries he would have given Dwight a run for his money, just look what he had done against Tim Duncan and Yoa Ming before Darko was injuired.

darko give dwight a run for his money?Thanks thats the funniest thing I have heard today

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!

MAGICRISINGSTARSWITHRIPPLINGWATER.gif

i have said this over and over from last year. in order for this team to get to the next level and win a championship they have to have a player at pg who can find the open man who ever it is, and stop penetration from the other pg. nelson does not do either. i like nelson off the bench but we will never win big if he is the starter at pg. plus i think he must have a reason for not passing to jj. its just to obvious to everyone. go magic jacklj