ball junkie

Now you know why Battie is back starting

quote:
Originally posted by giggi:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Veteran, experience and LEADERSHIP!!

On display tonight.

You may as well give worm hugs and cheers to B. Hill, too. BTW, even a blind chicken picks a grane if it tries it for long enough time.

Hmmm, I will write that down for future reference.

Tony Battie's attitude and work ethic are not doubted at all. He has said and done enough to get my support and I have not been a Magic fan for all that long.

There is only one thing that bothers me in this and other threads. People continue to indicate that he is much more important than his counterpart, Darko, because of the Magic's horrible record during the sixteen games he was out.

Of course they were horrible. While Battie was starting the Magic had an upgrade coming off the bench to spell him. When Battie was out, Darko started and had Bo and Garrity spelling him.

What is so hard to understand about that?

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

still, you can't blame the fact that Battie is so important coz Pat and Bo are not as good as him.

No one is saying that. Having a guy like Tony, whether it's in the starting lineup or coming off the bench, is great for the team. The point we've been trying to make is that when Tony was hurt, Darko started while being backed up by Pat and Bo. We were 4-12. However, we believe the record would've been just as bad if Darko had been hurt, and Tony'd been starting with Pat and Bo behind him.

quote:

still, you can't blame the fact that Battie is so important coz Pat and Bo are not as good as him.

Why not? To be valuable means that its hard or impossible to replace. In our lineup if any of our bigs go down we are screwed. That makes Battie pretty darn important. If Garrity and Outlaw had more to contribute then Battie wouldn't be as important.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

Why not? To be valuable means that its hard or impossible to replace. In our lineup if any of our bigs go down we are screwed. That makes Battie pretty darn important. If Garrity and Outlaw had more to contribute then Battie wouldn't be as important.

I agree with Emory, our lack of depth at the bigs makes Battie being on the floor more important to us. Anything to keep Pat and Bo off the floor during tight games.

You certainly can blame the fact that Battie is so important because of who is coming off the bench to replace him in the 11th and 12th spots in the rotation.

If we had drafted Sean May or Hakim Warrick instead of Fran, do you think Battie would be AS valuable to the team? Or would he in fact be the 1th or 12th guy in the rotation himself?

Having Bo and Pat coming off the bench if one of our big guys gets injured is one heck of a blow to our team.

Can you imagine if Dwight were ever to egt injured and Bo and/or Pat was required to play extended minutes every night? Perish the thought.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Can you imagine if Dwight were ever to egt injured and Bo and/or Pat was required to play extended minutes every night? Perish the thought.

Can you say Draft lottery!

Sign and Trade Darko in the off-season value will never be hire. I like Darko but I want to win a championship.

Sign Vince, Sign and Trade Darko for someone like all Harrington. The Magic will most likely have 20-25 mil of capspace and can win tomorrow.

Howard, Redick, Nelson (they will extend him, not that I agree), and Ariza will preserve the future.

You have to have a good mix of young and old. I like Darko, but he still needs 2-3 more years. Those are 2-3 years the Magic could be chasing a title.

Sign and trade Darko/Hedo, 2nd round and future first for Gasol and future 2nd. Sign Carter. Darko/Hedo 2nd rounder for Carter and future first rounder. Darko for Al Harrington, sign Carter or Lewis. Gasol and Billups, etc.

This puts the Magic on top for the next 3-4 years.

This is the summer the Magic can rise to the top.

Grant Hill will resign and come off the bench. ALso the Magic will likely get a vet to come in when he sees the team. Stackhouse, Webber, McDyess, J Smith, E Jones, etc.

Do you want to win now or put all eggs in one basket.

I'm tired of hearing the words potential and updise. Grant Hill has "potential" to stay healthy, remember that.

I decided to do a little research on the notable big men in the league. I've taken an average of their stats during their first six seasons. It appears that each of these players experienced a significant boost of confidence and thus started to produce at much higher levels once they reached 6000-8000 total minutes played in the NBA (Darko's at 2871 now). For the players that came straight out of high-school, the majority of them reached that level in their 6th-7th NBA seasons. Those with college/professional overseas experience hit that level in their 4th season.

The players used:

Gasol, Dirk, Yao, Chandler, Ilgauskas, Curry, J Oneall, Garnett, Okur

Shaq and Duncan were not included since they have averaged 20/10 since their rookie years.

Point and Rebound Averages:

1st year 9.7 pts 5.7 reb

2nd year 13.3 pts 6.9 reb

3rd year 14.2 pts 7.2 reb

4th year 16.4 pts 8.1 reb

5th year 17.5 pts 8.9 reb

6th year 19.5 pts 10.2 reb

I also tend to think that Jermaine O'neal will most closely resemble Darko's learning curve...

Jermaine's career stats