Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Is Kobe better than Jordan

quote:
Originally posted by rarlequin:

Jordan is the gratest player period and by far. The NBA will never be same and it hasnt been...His legacy will live forever it is not just an NBA career it is a life story that will live in our minds. Kobe is good and he will be great, but not the greatest he will live in his shadow.

If Kobe wins a couple of championships on his own and continues to play at the level he is at right now then its will be close. If I put their career resumes out from this point you would have a hard time telling them apart after Kobe 2nd season.

No disrecpect to MJ, but right now, when we talk about individual performances, Kobe is already better than him, IMO. When Kobe scores at least 50 points, I'm not even surprised at all. Just another day in the office for Kobe.

But in terms of overall achievements, Kobe still has to prove he can lead his own team to a championship. We know Shaq did most of the part in the three peat.

I hope when I read this thread in the morning that this is all a dream.

Kobe now and in the future is nothing close to Michael Jordan. He's a great player and for my sake I let that be known, but Jordan is something else. As a player, his attitude surpassed all, mentally and physically he was simply amazing. As a leader he had all qualities on and off the court. He was worshipped by many fans around the globe and changed the face of the game. Scoring a bag of points doesn't justify an amazing athlete. Jordan was amazing.

Just a thought. This is an issue I don't like about the NBA and its the fact that they are always on the search for the prodigy. Guys like Lebron, Kobe etc. These are great players but jeez. Lebron was made before he came into this league. This league is chasing something it just can't catch. I'm sure the league will see someone as great as Michael and it will fall in its lap.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
It is also safe to assume that the Bulls would have won 8 in a row had Jordan not retired. That would have been absolutely incredible. Look at how many calls Wade got in the Finals. Can you imagine how many calls Jordan would have gotten in this era??

I agree with you, but let's not forget Jordan's push off when he hit the game winner against Utah.

Sure it was a pushoff but that will never be called in any Finals game at the end. Can you imagine the stones it would have taken for a ref to call an offensive foul on Michael Jordan. That guy would still be getting death threats.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr3345:

Kobe now and in the future is nothing close to Michael Jordan. He's a great player and for my sake I let that be known, but Jordan is something else. As a player, his attitude surpassed all, mentally and physically he was simply amazing. As a leader he had all qualities on and off the court. He was worshipped by many fans around the globe and changed the face of the game. Scoring a bag of points doesn't justify an amazing athlete. Jordan was amazing.

Just a thought. This is an issue I don't like about the NBA and its the fact that they are always on the search for the prodigy. Guys like Lebron, Kobe etc. These are great players but jeez. Lebron was made before he came into this league. This league is chasing something it just can't catch. I'm sure the league will see someone as great as Michael and it will fall in its lap.

I don't think Kobe is there yet. Like I said before though, if Kobe can win a few championships without Shaq he is right there with MJ in my opinion. All of the attributes that you mentioned in the first paragraph are very evident in his game. The only thing that was lacking before this season was his leadership but trust me it is definitely there now. I don't know how many Laker games you've seen this year buddy but Kobe is constantly encouraging his teammates, getting in their faces when its needed, go to their defense whether its an opponent or a ref, or simply cheering from the sidelines. Kobe has officially taken his game to a new level this season. With the injuries that this team has right now they should have dropped out of the playoff picture but Kobe is singlehandly keeping them right in the middle of things. Kobe isn't just a scorer anymore he is the complete all around player.

I have a hunch that when Kobe's career is done you will be able to take his career accomplishments and compare them to Jordan's and they will be close to identical.

I'm usually not big into the opinions of sportswriters but I really enjoy listening to Steve Kerr. Since he also played with MJ I thought these recent quotes were especially interesting.

In the past five games, Kobe Bryant has averaged 54 points per game. Think about that for a moment. Fifty four! Most importantly, the Los Angeles Lakers won all five, reversing a seven-game losing streak that had threatened to ruin their season.

In effect, Bryant placed the entire team on his shoulders and willed it back into a positive state. The Lakers are now confident again, they have Luke Walton and Lamar Odom back from injuries and they're no longer looking like road kill for the West's top seeds come playoff time. And they owe it all to Kobe.

His offensive game is so good, so fundamentally sound in every aspect, that it may be time to debate whether or not he's the most complete offensive player in the history of the NBA. I'm not talking about the best player

quote:
Originally posted by nbr3345:

Enough said nbr3345....

Today in the NBA it is a scoring game and nothing compare to the jordan era where he had to an played great offense and exceptional defense. Back then defense was your offense, now days its just offense and more offense.....Thats the main point compairing this two...

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I'm usually not big into the opinions of sportswriters but I really enjoy listening to Steve Kerr. Since he also played with MJ I thought these recent quotes were especially interesting.

In the past five games, Kobe Bryant has averaged 54 points per game. Think about that for a moment. Fifty four! Most importantly, the Los Angeles Lakers won all five, reversing a seven-game losing streak that had threatened to ruin their season.

In effect, Bryant placed the entire team on his shoulders and willed it back into a positive state. The Lakers are now confident again, they have Luke Walton and Lamar Odom back from injuries and they're no longer looking like road kill for the West's top seeds come playoff time. And they owe it all to Kobe.

His offensive game is so good, so fundamentally sound in every aspect, that it may be time to debate whether or not he's the most complete offensive player in the history of the NBA. I'm not talking about the best player

There are a lot of Kobe homers writing sports articles. Ill be impressed when he drops 50+ on a good defensive team such as San Antonio, Chicago or Detroit. Scoring 50 on Memphis only shows how much his team sucks and how much of a ball hog he is. I bet Steve Nash, Nowitzki or any of the MVP candidates could drop 50 on crappy teams. But they don't need to because they have better teammates.

There is a reason why when Shaq was in LA he was the first go to option and Kobe was second.

Ill leave you guys with some rhetoric questions:

Who averaged more points and got more shots i.e. who was the better player?

Why did Kobe and Shaq fight so much when Shaq was in LA?

Who had better results on their respective teams?

He scored 50 against the Mavs last year and they are a very good defensive team. I seem to recall MJ beating down the poor teams quite a bit.

The only reason its debatable is because the NBA and its fans are looking for the next big thing. They'll cling to anything and thats largely due to MJ, because it felt so good. Look at all the high school hype of players, need I remind you high school.

Sorry emory, can't agree with you on this one. He ain't close. The attributes that I mentioned were largely defined in this sport by this man. The position the game is in is largely due to this man.

It seems like I'm bashing on Kobe but **** I'll throw on my KB8 jersey right now and type away (hold on). Only kidding, I do own one though and why, because he is a great player now. He really is good. Just to note. You used a portion from Steve Kerr, I'd just like to repeat a section of the post:

quote:
"It may be time to debate whether or not he's the most complete offensive player in the history of the NBA.

This will have reason to debate in time and it won't be lone company between the two either.

Its cool Nbr, I just like to debate these kind of topics. Its much better than our PG situation. I don't think Kobe will be in the same conversation for a while. The point that I was making is if Kobe can win a championship or two by himself and keep putting up the offensive numbers then when his career is over it will be a very tough debate.