Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Back on ground level

We were riding sky high through the first 20 games, and well it seems we are back on the ground and we have hit it pretty hard.

In 2 losses we have seen alot of the mistakes seen last year creep up

Turnovers

Lack of energy

No fluency

Lack of a go 2 guy(No one wants to take over)

Nelson playing like crap yet again.

Lets hope this years fast start wasnt an illusion like last years was.

Hopefully now Stan will have the guys ears, after now 2 very bad losses in a row. We are back on the ground, now lets see if we can get this plane up again.

We were riding sky high through the first 20 games, and well it seems we are back on the ground and we have hit it pretty hard.

Turnovers

Lack of energy

No fluency

Hopefully now Stan will have the guys ears, after now 2 very bad losses in a row. We are back on the ground, now lets see if we can get this plane up again.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Turnovers

Lack of energy

No fluency

Let's just get back on the road. lol

This year is starting to become a repeat of last year ... It's too early to panic, but I am beginning to worry.

Teams are learning to beat the Magic once again. It is becoming clear that if Howard is a non-factor offensively (like in the Hawks game tonight) then we really don't have a consistent go-to person who can take the game over.

Teams are learning to triple team Howard and hope that the "Magic 3-bombs away gameplan" explodes in their faces. The last few games have shown teams the following:

1) $118 million dollar man's game is predictable. Plus, he's clearly a defensive liability, can be passionless and clumsy with the ball. I am beginning to worry that we are stuck with mediocrity at a price.

2) The Magic have no go-to guy beyond Superman Howard. Turk a good bargain, but not enough to beat the best of them. (I like Turk, though, he's just not enough to beat other teams on a consistent basis).

3) Perimeter defense is mediocre to subpar at best, so teams beat us in our own game.

4) Short point guards who show up one game and don't the next will not make the next Chauncey Billups or Tony Parker.

5) Teams who live and die by the three will learn quickly that a .500 season is more likely than not.

6) I am missing the "twin towers" of Howard and Milicic more and more.

I will probably get criticized for this post, but the Magic need to wake up less we have another repeat of yesteryear: always a good start but finish with a dud.

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

This year is starting to become a repeat of last year ... It's too early to panic, but I am beginning to worry.

Teams are learning to beat the Magic once again. It is becoming clear that if Howard is a non-factor offensively (like in the Hawks game tonight) then we really don't have a consistent go-to person who can take the game over.

Teams are learning to triple team Howard and hope that the "Magic 3-bombs away gameplan" explodes in their faces. The last few games have shown teams the following:

1) $118 million dollar man's game is predictable. Plus, he's clearly a defensive liability, can be passionless and clumsy with the ball. I am beginning to worry that we are stuck with mediocrity at a price.

2) The Magic have no go-to guy beyond Superman Howard. Turk a good bargain, but not enough to beat the best of them. (I like Turk, though, he's just not enough to beat other teams on a consistent basis).

3) Perimeter defense is mediocre to subpar at best, so teams beat us in our own game.

4) Short point guards who show up one game and don't the next will not make the next Chauncey Billups or Tony Parker.

5) Teams who live and die by the three will learn quickly that a .500 season is more likely than not.

I will probably get criticized for this post, but the Magic need to wake up less we have another repeat of yesteryear: always a good start but finish with a dud.

You're worried about having a season like last years, yet everything you said we should be doing is what we did last year. Make up your mind.

Before the year everyone would have been very happy with a 16-6 record at this point. The early start created unrealistic expectations (like us going 65-17).

Tough losses at home, but I think our coach and team will figure it out. I still have plenty of confidence in SVG and the growth of this team.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

You're worried about having a season like last years, yet everything you said we should be doing is what we did last year. Make up your mind.

I haven't made any suggestions in the above post, just that someone needs to step up and be the go to guy. Am I missing something here?

Just the contrary, we are becoming like last year's team with regards to poor PG play, turnovers, Dwight turning the ball over, etc. The only difference is we are shooting three's, but lately they are not falling. When they don't fall, we need to drive in the lane and create havoc to get the attention off Howard. This is when we miss an Ariza/slasher type player who can take attention off Howard and still make high percentage shots.

Foyle was a having a good game, how come he disappeared in the lineup?

The inside out game is a good game to have, but not at the expense of not driving in the lane and shooting poorly executed 3-point shots. Everything needs a balance.

Someone needs to step up when Howard is being shut down, and that guy needs to be Lewis.

I don't want the pendulum to shift so far the other way that we forget to play defense effectively and fail to slash to the basket. If so, our game simply becomes a predictable 180 degrees from last year's style of execution. We need something in between.