Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN's John Hollinger tells 2 reasons why Orlando trades

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

What was the second reason? I don't have insider! lol

But a second reason may loom larger. To me, the Magic make this trade only if they legitimately think they can win the East this year. And the fact they did tells me they truly think they can win it. Not in a "Maybe if things work out and the best players on the other teams get hurt and we get real lucky in close games" kind of a way, but in a "We're the best team" kind of way. And after starting 10-2 and beating Boston, they might be right.

So they made the moves to get the two missing pieces they really need -- a backup who can play the 2 so they can keep Keyon Dooling out of size mismatches, and a backup power forward who can space the floor and keep defenses from collapsing on Howard -- Pat Garrity, with a 1.57 Player Efficiency Rating in 120 minutes and a half-decade long streak of single digit PERs, clearly isn't working out. I'm still not sure Cook is a Stan Van Gundy type of player because his D needs a lot of work, but for the 10-15 minutes a night Orlando needs him it may not matter.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

This is the same John Hollinger who was ripping Otis all summer long who now seems to be giving him praise.

Oh yeah. My opinion is that he's a bandwagon jumper. We're doing good, he likes us, but the minute(hopefully not)we start doing bad, he will rip us again and suck up to the league's darlings(a.k.a. the Celtics)

With that said, I may be alone on this one, but I like this trade. Cook can shoot lights out, and Evans is a poor man's Ariza. Also, Trevor was doing sooo much this year!