Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

Putting the ball in the basket is how you win games. We're looking to have 4 shooters on the court at all times. We're looking to out-score opponets, not out-defend them (even though we've done a good job of that so far). Ariza didn't fit.

Ask the Phoenix Suns how many championships they've won with that mentality.

quote:

quote:
What is the fascination with shooting? We already attempt 26 3pt field goals per game. You think we need more shooters?????????

Putting the ball in the basket is how you win games. We're looking to have 4 shooters on the court at all times. We're looking to out-score opponets, not out-defend them (even though we've done a good job of that so far). Ariza didn't fit.

Good post. Agree. Our defense is playing much better than i thought. I did some stat checking today and started a thread on our defense. You guys would be stunned to know our ppg defense is ranked 9th and our fg% defense is almost TOPS in the league ranking 3rd.

Alright guys, I'm done trying to convince you this trade works great for us... I'll let the three-ball and Dwight's low-post domination do the talking for me (and Otis -- smart man).

quote:

Well we may agree on that, or argue about the system, but as I've said since we let Darko go, it is our system. I'm not necessarily defending it.

And Howard's domination may actually make the system we use irrelevent at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Good post. Agree. Our defense is playing much better than i thought. I did some stat checking today and started a thread on our defense. You guys would be stunned to know our ppg defense is ranked 9th and our fg% defense is almost TOPS in the league ranking 3rd.

Do you know scoring is up nearly 6pts per game league wide this year?

The Magic have done well on the defensive end, but our PPG that ranks 9th in the NBA right now would have ranked us 24th in the NBA last season.

All I'm saying is...That just because there seems to be a wide open scoring movement in the league, doesn't mean that defense should be abondoned entirely.

quote:
Originally posted by Sain:

Sauce, the last two games for the magic the 3 ball hasn't been falling. They shot 28 percent vs the Celtics and like 25 vs the hornets. We won both those games. We find ways to win, are system is fine.

And from what i hear Cook shoots 39.something from the outside.

How can you say the system is fine when were blowing 20pt leads due to missing alot of 3s giving them more chances to score on our misses, turnovers, and having too many shooters out there instead of balancing the starting lineup with some defenders in there as well as shooters. Thats coaching fault. We should use the 3s at times when needed not use that as a primary offensive option. How is it that Howard still gets double teamed in this NEW offense. All that spacing isnt working at times for a reason. If you cool with the Magic jakin 3s all game then thats you. But NEVER liked the idea cause i know that can also kill us smarter teams. All these shooters for what. 10-2 looks good right now but it really means nothing when you still have 70 games left. All we can say is were having a good month. But getting Cook and Evans doesnt help us at all. Well Evans is just like Ariza. But we need defense and rebounding bad, not more shooters. Cook is known for his shooting, his defense and rebounding is terrible. Nice Pickup Otis dumbazz. Only you think this is a good fit. Only you and the others that worship you.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

That's what they all say, yet the Suns are one of maybe 3 teams that can hang with the Spurs in a series. In fact, if a few suspensions, plays, etc. hadn't happened last season in the Spurs-Suns series, the Suns would probably be champs instead... and that's not taking away from San Antonio, because they're an excellent team.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Do you know scoring is up nearly 6pts per game league wide this year?

The Magic have done well on the defensive end, but our PPG that ranks 9th in the NBA right now would have ranked us 24th in the NBA last season.

All I'm saying is...That just because there seems to be a wide open scoring movement in the league, doesn't mean that defense should be abondoned entirely.

Smack, I'll repeat, our fg% defense is ranked 3rd in the league.

I was stunned by that stat! I had no idea we were playing defense that well!!

quote:
That's what they all say, yet the Suns are one of maybe 3 teams that can hang with the Spurs in a series. In fact, if a few suspensions, plays, etc. hadn't happened last season in the Spurs-Suns series, the Suns would probably be champs instead... and that's not taking away from San Antonio, because they're an excellent team.

I think we'd feel pretty good becoming a team that wins 60-games a year and sells out the O-rena every night. And Dwight may be the difference in rings or no rings.