Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

quote:
I did not see the IE as part of the Trevor trade! That means we still have it and Evans contrat is expiring!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3121132

"The Orlando Sentinel reported on Tuesday that the Magic used their $2.6 million exemption -- from the Tony Battie injury -- to make the deal work. The Magic also released veteran big man Bo Outlaw."

we had to include the 2.6. You can't just acquire 5 mill in salary for 5 with no cap space. I don't see how we couldn't have included it.

Neither guy is as good as Ariza, but combined they make the trade kinda worth it. At least short-term before Ariza blows up.

Brian Cook is basically a GOOD Pat Garrity... and Maurice Evans, I think, could be a starter on the Magic roster tomorrow. He should at LEAST be Bogans' immediate backup.

I just don't understand how we're going to keep Rashard and Hedo in the starting lineup if we have no real 3rd SF now...

These two guys aren't as bad as you think, I thought Evans was being underutilized in L.A. Give this one some time before you judge it, is my verdict. Let's see what SVG does with these guys.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by love#12:

So is cook going to start at the 4 spot or is he coming off the bench?

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!

I would be stunned if our starting line up is changed because of this trade. Again, stripe away what you think Ariza can do, this trade was a bench trade. Based on this year's contributions, we traded a "situational" player, for two other bench plaers.

I agree, we absolutely needed to improve our depth. Both Evans and Cook are legit NBA players that have a lot of game experience, including playoff experience.

I think this trade says a lot about Redick as well, that we don't believe he can have a role on a strong playoff-caliber squad. Our team has improved very quickly - Rashard is the real deal and Dwight is now a real MVP candidate. The time is now, right? Is it time to deal away Redick too?

I trust Stan to get everything he can out of these guys. Guys Keith Bogans is starting and its working, did we believe in this when it first happened? No, we all thought Bogans wouldn't work, but Stan made it work. Stan will get production out of these two.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
I did not see the IE as part of the Trevor trade! That means we still have it and Evans contrat is expiring!!!

"The Orlando Sentinel reported on Tuesday that the Magic used their $2.6 million exemption -- from the Tony Battie injury -- to make the deal work. The Magic also released veteran big man Bo Outlaw."

Thank you Echo4papa, I did not get that from the inital report that I read. That does change things!!!!!!

How exactly was this trade made to work? Half of the people on here are saying that we included the injury exception, half are saying we didn't. We have consistently been told that you could not package the injury exception with another player in a trade. Did we possibly trade the injury exception for one of the players straight up and then have another trade involving the other player? I wish the story on this would straighten out.

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

Thank you Echo4papa, I did not get that from the inital report that I read. That does change things!!!!!!

My pleasure...

Still havent seen a nanswer about open roster spots..

and oen more item to think about.

We ALL (for the most part) complain about all the moves Otis does or does not complete, but we are all happy with the current performance of the team. Does he get no credit for this, is our record SVG's doing despite Otis' moves, or do we have to, at some point, give him just a tiny bit of credit?

I dont know much about evans but against Golden State in February he had 26 points. So he atleast has the potential to score some. And if he is as good as a defender as some of you are saying he cant be that bad. Either way we were goin to lose Ariza so im glad that we got something back.

Their was no reason for this trade to go down. We have one of the top records in the NBA, and we will win our division. No on expected us to win the championship, and these two players dont help us at all to win one. We traded a lot of upside and a freak of nature for Cook who is a younger Tony Battie, and another PG " We got a PG Jam"

We Could Have Traded Ariza to the Kincks for David Lee.

We could have traded Ariza and JJ to the Pacers for J.O'neal.

We should have traded Ariza and JJ to the Lakers and got back Bynum in the deal.

Their was no reason to panic here.

This reminds me of the season Puck Head made the trade Mobley for Christie, we had the best record in the NBA and it screwed up our team. It may not screw up our team now, but in the future we will regret trading t mac 2 for nothing.