Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

quote:
Originally posted by D-Guy:

If you can't see ariza as an offensive liability when playing with this current roster you are blind. He is just too raw for what we're trying to do and unfortunately plays the position that we have way better(currently) talent already. Ariza has a ton of potential but I bet he won't even start to see any of it until he gets that jumpshot in check. Magic killer in maybe 3-4 years....

Yea, and who wants to pay $5 million a year for 4 more years until he develops his jumpshot (maybe)?? Whatever, he'll be in the NBA for a long, long time and I'm sure he'll kill us in a game or two down the road, but he wasn't about to kill anyone this season, that's for sure.

Is it me or out of the 10 games we have won, have you ever said...WE JUST WON THAT GAME CASUE OF ARIZA..no you havent...we traded a bench player who was getting no time, for TWO bench players..one of them filling a spot we need! First people cry about no big men, then we get one and hes not good enough, get use to B. Cook for 3 years fellas...GO MAGIC!

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

Evans and Cook better win us a championship...

the more i look at this, the more mad i get...

to be honest...(you probably wont like me for sayin this):

i hope Airiza dunks on D12 this year...like the nashtiest of his dunks...EVER...

just to show Otis what a moron he is...i cant stress enough that Otis thinks we're running for the title this year...aint happenin...we wont even win the East...much less the NBA...we're a team for the future...Evans and Cook are current players...Airiza is a player for the future...he was our future starting SG...

but no...throws all his eggs in one biscuit...and now we have to win a title in the next 2-3 years at the MOST...or this trade will look real, real silly...

so in the end, we got nothing for Steve-O...what a shame..

Thank You Now I Can Goto Bed Happy

And Once Again The Stats

Are you ready for this. Remember Trevor is 7 years younger then Evans and they basically played the same amount of NBA Games

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

We just acquired solid pieces, but there's no doubt in my mind that Trevor's gonna become the next Magic killer.

Please share what illegal substance you're using so we can feel as good as you.

Solid pieces??

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

The team's 10-2, looking great and Ariza was not a factor

You must be blind. Ariza got us that steal in a critical moment that helped us beat Boston of all teams!

Not to mention w/out trevor, this team is a bunch of "nice guys" now.

Not long ago we were talking about Ariza right up there with Gerald Wallace.. and now Otis trades him for 2 guys who wouldn't crack the rotation in any of the top teams out there. These two guys have gotten more consistent playing time than Ariza, more minutes and neither averages 10 points yet. Plus Cook is a soft big NOT the rebounder/bruiser we need..

Awesome job Otis! thanks for making my avatar relevant again!

quote:
get use to B. Cook for 3 years fellas

new thought...Cook is a younger, darker Pat Garrity!!

We already have one we dont need another!!

We need an athletic big man who can rebound!

But ill wait for a few games to pass any more judgement.

Forgive me for coming to this dialogue so late. My initial thoughts are that this deal makes sense for both teams. We need another big who can "fit" into SVG's system. While I love Trevor's game, I'd choose SVG's winning system over Trevor's potential any day of the week. Look, if Evans and Cook help us win more than Trevor, great, and that's all that matters. Time will tell if that proves true.

For what it's worth, the realgm guys are morons in regard to grading this deal. The centerpiece of this trade is Cook, who has had good PERs since he entered the league. Counting last year and going back, his PERs were 14.83, 15.70, 14.16, and 14.10. This year he has struggled b/c of a lack of pt, just as Trevor has struggled. Moreover, here is what Hollinger wrote about Cook this summer:

"2006-07 season: I can't believe the Lakers put this guy on the pine so they could play Vladimir Freaking Radmanovic. While the Snow Flake was proving that $31 million doesn't buy what it used to, Cook used his limited minutes to rain in jumpers -- you know, the thing they got Radmanovic for -- and finished at 40 percent on 3-pointers.

Cook put up good numbers even though he wasn't quite as scorching on long 2-pointers as a year earlier -- he went from 52.5 percent to 44.9 percent, though the latter number is still well above the league average. Cook's ability to shoot from long range gave him the 10th-lowest turnover ratio among power forwards, as he rarely had to put the ball in danger before shooting. The flip side of that was his free-throw rate, which ranked dead last among power forwards.

Cook also dramatically improved his rebound rate, which had been his biggest weakness in previous seasons. While it was still below average for a power forward, it was less glaringly so.

Scouting report: A good long-range shooter with a quick release, Cook is extremely accurate despite a line-drive trajectory and is deadly on pick-and-pop plays. He also has the size to get points in the paint occasionally, supplementing the scoring he provides from the perimeter.

Cook is a below-average defender -- though he has good size for a power forward, he's soft and not a great athlete, and his energy level at that end comes and goes. That's put him in Phil Jackson's doghouse on occasion the past couple years. Cook has been pressed into service as a smallball center at times, which spaces the floor for Kobe Bryant but only magnifies Cook's defensive shortcomings.

2007-08 outlook: The Lakers' frontcourt logjam doesn't appear to have eased, as Chris Mihm returns after missing last season and Ronny Turiaf is pushing for a bigger role. Cook might end up being the odd man out in this scenario, even though he's plenty good enough to be a rotation player for just about any team in the league. An enterprising club might inquire about his availability via trade; if not, Cook can opt out of his contract after the season and test the free-agent waters.

Most similar at age: Donyell Marshell"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/hollinger?statsId=3727

Guys and gals, this guy fits our current system very well at a very reasonable rate (3.5 per for 2 years). I am sad to see Trevor go, but I am more glad to be winning. Otis and SVG have my confidence until that drastically changes.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

Evans and Cook better win us a championship...

the more i look at this, the more mad i get...

to be honest...(you probably wont like me for sayin this):

i hope Airiza dunks on D12 this year...like the nashtiest of his dunks...EVER...

just to show Otis what a moron he is...i cant stress enough that Otis thinks we're running for the title this year...aint happenin...we wont even win the East...much less the NBA...we're a team for the future...Evans and Cook are current players...Airiza is a player for the future...he was our future starting SG...

but no...throws all his eggs in one biscuit...and now we have to win a title in the next 2-3 years at the MOST...or this trade will look real, real silly...

so in the end, we got nothing for Steve-O...what a shame..

Because dunking on somebody makes you an excellent player... right. It's pretty obvious our championship window is for 6 years (see Rashard Lewis signing). After that, we'll probably replace Lewis with another good player and try again, but our window with Lewis is for 6 years. There's no point in keeping a small forward with "potential" to warm the bench for Lewis and Hedo... not when we have glaring holes in the roster.

quote:
I swear Otis has to be the dumbest GM out there.

How good is SVG to get us off to a 10-2 start with this rediculous team that Otis forced him to coach on a nightly basis? Seriously, I know we all bag on Otis on a regular basis, but he has to get SOME credit for how well our team has played together so far.

quote:
Originally posted by love#12:

Ok so who will be the guy to get the defensive stops we need.I think trevor was our best defender out there,so who do we go to now?

GO MAGIC!!!!!!

Hopefully we don't get "Cooked" in the Spurs game without Trevor's D

quote:
Originally posted by Sain:

Lewis is 28?

Cook is 28?

Evans is 27?

Didn't see you complain when we signed Lewis.

They are young, stop crying.

I did complain when we signed Lewis and if we would have matched the highest offer and give him 10 more million then any other team could have he would have made 85 million and we could have resigned Darko and not been in this mess at all.