Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

Fans Game Thread - Magic v. Sonics - Nov. 13th

maybe we can switch hedo to SG and put bogans to the bench?? hedo can score 30 on durant who is a weak defender..a real mismatch too thin like a toothpick?

By Nick Adams | OrlandoMagic.com

GAME INFO

Tipoff: 7:00 PM ET

TV: FSN Florida

Radio: WDBO AM 580 | Spanish Radio: AM 1030 WONQ

Theme Night: UCF Night

Find Tickets

SHOOTAROUND

All the hype of tonight's game has been centered on Rashard Lewis facing his old team for the first time and his match-up against the number two overall pick in this season's NBA draft, Kevin Durant.

However, at this morning's shootarounds, both Orlando and Seattle were more focused on team concepts rather than the hype.

Coach Van Gundy spoke specifically about the team's emphasis at the defensive end.

"We spent a lot of time these last couple of days working on our defense," said Coach Van Gundy, "working specifically on our post defense, weak side help, and overall rotation on defense."

The emphasis comes after surrendering an average of 111 points per game in their two loses at home, and although the Sonics are winless, they like to score the basketball.

"It is hard to believe but I could legitimately tell the guys that we are going to be playing a team tonight which plays at a faster pace than Phoenix," commented Van Gundy referring to the Sonics' offense which leads the League in fast-break points. "That ball is going to fly up and down the floor tonight, and we have not done particularly well defending that type of pace."

Sonics first year head coach P.J. Carlesimo explained the reason for his up-tempo style of play.

"We don't have a real dominate post presence so that kind of forces us to play an up-tempo style of game looking for good looks at the basket in transition."

Much like Van Gundy, Carlesimo was quick to point out his main emphasis which is their defense.

"Our main emphasis is on our defense," said Carlisimo, "and we have improved on decreasing our opponent's field goal percentage but we are not at the level we want to be."

Despite each coach's emphasis on defense, look for another fast paced, high scoring game tonight.

PREGAME

Looking to avenge their defeat from three nights ago, the Magic return to Amway Arena Tuesday looking to bounce back against the winless Seattle Supersonics.

Seattle's struggles derive from the loss of their two best players to free-agency.

Orlando was lucky enough to land one of those players in Rashard Lewis who will face the franchise he spent his entire NBA career with, prior to joining the Magic this summer, for the first time.

"It is going to be a little different obviously seeing the Seattle Supersonics on the other bench," stated Lewis, "but it is going to be good to see a lot of my old friends and the people in the organization I had spent my entire career with."

In nine seasons with the Sonics, Lewis averaged 16.6 points and 5.8 rebounds while making one all-star appearance in 2005.

Lewis has continued his success with the Magic this season averaging 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists through seven games.

The Sonics in hopes to replace Lewis' talent, drafted Kevin Durant with the second overall pick in this year's draft.

Durant, like Lewis, is a long, athletic forward at 6'10 who can score from anywhere on the floor.

"They both have similar body types and can shoot the ball well from the perimeter for their height," added Coach Van Gundy.

Durant has been the only bright spot for Seattle (0-7) averaging 21.7 points and 5.4 rebounds.

"I've seen him play and he is a great talent," Lewis stated, "but we are not going to just focus on trying to stop one guy."

Lewis doesn't look at the game as a battle between Durant or his former team, and isn't treating the game any differently.

"I am just going to go out there, play hard, and treat it like just another game."

MAGIC INJURY REPORT

Tony Battie

quote:
he stands on the perimeter and launches 3s...which makes him easy to guard...

It's actually the opposite. With Howard inside all of our 3-point shooters are very difficult to cover. Hence the concept of our offense.

quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkSide:

Tonights Game:

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=lpintl&ur...o_051201.asx&gid=097

And for other games:

http://linkshere.blogspot.com/

Wow.. you're the man, I hadn't even looked for a link yet!

By the way, I'm sort of watching PTI, and the toss up topic was what has a better chance of happening tonight.. Boston losing their first game, or the Sonics winning their first?

Michael Wilbon said that there was NO way that Seattle was going to beat us, especially not at home while he said that Boston has at least a chance to lose to Indy on the road.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

we all know im NEVER optimistic about games vs. mediocre (or worst) opponents...

BUT...

i think the Magic win by...get this...30...as in 30 points...

and im gonna tell you why:

Whos gonna guard D12???

there best defender is Chris Wilcox...and ill admit...hes not half bad...but not good enough to shut down D12...and when Wilcox comes out...whos left??? Kurt Thomas??? Nick Collison??? D12 will tear those guys up...

Whos gonna guard TheShard???

Kevin Durant or Jeff Green...im not sure which one is a worse defender...and neither are playing PF anyway...which means Lewis will be guarded by a much slower guy...like a Thomas or Collison...who he'll have no problem taking either of them inside out...

Whos gonna guard Turkoflu???

sounds like Jeff Green here...who, once again, is too slow to guard Turk on the perimeter...and after him...Wally Szerbiak??? give me a break...

Whos gonna guard Munns&Munns???

well...this is sure to be Durant...and expect him to do a good job on Bogans...Bogans isnt the fastest guy at the 2, so Durant will be able to keep up with him, especially cuz Bogans wont be takin it to the whole any time soon...

Whos gonna guard MeerMeer???

this one should be Jameer's college teammate Delonte West...and thats always a fun one to watch...but once again, after West, it'll be Watson...who is a decent on ball defender...

we all know our squad causes matchup issues, but what im tryin to say here, is that Seattle matches up TERRIBLY against us...especially the front 3...this one will get ugly...you will see...

114-81

33 points.

mark it down.

----------------------------------------------

BOLD prediction you have there... i say we win by 40

Buahhhh haaa haaa!!! No one will bench Patty!!! Not Trevor... not JJ!!! NO ONE!!!

Patty Rules the Earth!