Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Magic working to find consistent lineup - Rotation is almost set per Stan(Sentinel)

quote:

The Magic likely will undergo changes heading into their game Tuesday night in Minnesota against the Timberwolves, meaning some players won't be happy with their minutes. "We have a problem finding a lineup that we can start out there every single night," he said.

For instance, the Magic don't match up well against the Timberwolves inside with Rashard Lewis defending PF Al Jefferson. C Dwight Howard would face Theo Ratliff. It probably would be better to move Lewis back to small forward in this matchup and start Adonal Foyle to play Jefferson. "Our best two front line choices are two small forwards [Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu] and two centers [Howard and Foyle]. The decision really comes down to just either settle on whether to play small or big to start and learn to cover up those weaknesses or a team that changes its starting lineup every night, which is not ideal," Van Gundy said.

As far as his rotation, Van Gundy said he'll take today and Monday -- which are off days for the club -- "to clean up" his rotation so players know their roles. He plans on playing just eight to nine players each night. The top eight are forwards Lewis and Turkoglu; guards Jameer Nelson, Carlos Arroyo, Keith Bogans and Keyon Dooling; and centers Howard and Foyle.

That leaves SG J.J. Redick, PF Pat Garrity, SF Trevor Ariza and F James Augustine battling for playing time in Van Gundy's last spot.

Looks like 2 of our young players(Redick, Ariza) are gonna be battling for playing time with the loser probably spending a lot of time riding the pine.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ov04,0,4191180.story

quote:

The Magic likely will undergo changes heading into their game Tuesday night in Minnesota against the Timberwolves, meaning some players won't be happy with their minutes. "We have a problem finding a lineup that we can start out there every single night," he said.

For instance, the Magic don't match up well against the Timberwolves inside with Rashard Lewis defending PF Al Jefferson. C Dwight Howard would face Theo Ratliff. It probably would be better to move Lewis back to small forward in this matchup and start Adonal Foyle to play Jefferson. "Our best two front line choices are two small forwards [Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu] and two centers [Howard and Foyle]. The decision really comes down to just either settle on whether to play small or big to start and learn to cover up those weaknesses or a team that changes its starting lineup every night, which is not ideal," Van Gundy said.

As far as his rotation, Van Gundy said he'll take today and Monday -- which are off days for the club -- "to clean up" his rotation so players know their roles. He plans on playing just eight to nine players each night. The top eight are forwards Lewis and Turkoglu; guards Jameer Nelson, Carlos Arroyo, Keith Bogans and Keyon Dooling; and centers Howard and Foyle.

That leaves SG J.J. Redick, PF Pat Garrity, SF Trevor Ariza and F James Augustine battling for playing time in Van Gundy's last spot.

Looks like 2 of our young players(Redick, Ariza) are gonna be battling for playing time with the loser probably spending a lot of time riding the pine.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ov04,0,4191180.story

How in the world can Trevor Ariza not be part of the regular rotation?

I've been wondering if he is still feeling some ill effects from last year's knee injury? maybe this year's ankle injury?

There has to be some reasonable explanation.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

How in the world can Trevor Ariza not be part of the regular rotattion?

I've been wondering if he is still feeling some ill effects from last year's knee injury? aybe this year's ankle injury?

Smack, glad your back. Missed you last night. I was gonna call you but I seem to have misplaced your phone number. Anyway, I posted some good news on your "do we need a trade thread" .

I found this in the Sentinel too:

quote:

Van Gundy, who hinted at making some changes after Friday night's home loss to the Detroit Pistons, sat back-up point guard Carlos Arroyo.

Keyon Dooling played Arroyo's part in relieving Nelson. It could be one of the changes Van Gundy is pondering as he streamlines his rotation before the club plays the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday. Dooling played almost 20 minutes, scoring seven points and had two assists.

Asked if the move was temporary, a glum Arroyo whispered, "I don't know."

quote:

I've been wondering if he is still feeling some ill effects from last year's knee injury? maybe this year's ankle injury?

My guess is,(Trevor) the kid can't shoot the ball as well as the coaching staff would like him to do, this team is been assemble to shoot the three point , so probably JJ will get the bulk of the remaining minutes, just my opinion.

I like Keyon so much better as our back-up PG. For Los' sake, hopefully we trade him soon for a big. Zaza is getting no PT in ATL. He would be great next to Dwight b/c he can defend and hit that 12-14 foot jumper.

Looked like Carlos was the odd man out last night and I have to agree with that decision.

Dooling gives us more options than Carlos and does not have the same problem of giving up the ball.

But is becoming very clear that we need a true PF on this team. I second the Carlos for Zaza idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

I like Keyon so much better as our back-up PG. For Los' sake, hopefully we trade him soon for a big. Zaza is getting no PT in ATL. He would be great next to Dwight b/c he can defend and hit that 12-14 foot jumper.

I agree, I liked the playing Dooling because it gave us a defensive presence out there, but it was no coincidence in my mind that when he played we lost a lead, he is always trying to play 1 on 1.

He cant play the bulk of the pg minutes and he cannot play sg.He should be used primarily for when we are lacking energy. Arroyo is the better fit at backup pg not Dooling.

And you cant tell me me his defensse on sg's is really that much above JJ, Dooling is always getting beat, at least Reddick can shoot.

quote:

I totally agree with you here - I was wondering if the knee surgery was bothering him as well. SVG does not come across like a moron like Brian Hill, so I can't believe SVG can't see what Trevor can do.

Hopefully, the Garrity experiment is dwindling to a close.

We are all going to need to bring in Ariza signs soon.

I'm a bit worried about having such a short rotation at this point in the season. If you look at the starter's minutes last night, all played at least 35, and 3 of the 5 played 39 or more. Rashard played 43.

This kind of PT, in my opinion, is not sustainable over the course of the entire regular season, and also increases the risk of injury to our key players. Not to mention that if we make the playoffs, the guys won't have anything left.

Thoughts?