Sign in to follow this  
FanSince1990

Can JJ be a point guard?

quote:
Originally posted by dave:

Redick is not, and will never be, a PG. Others have explained why. There's not really any point discussing it further.

Dave is that the best you can come up with? "because others said so" haha.. yes, well Brian Hill thinks an old Bo and a limping Grant are more efficient than JJ redick. Even our GM has told us he would've picked (underachiever in the Spanish league) Fran Vasquez again if could do it again, so I dunno..

and then the audacity to say "there's no point in discussing it further" rofl.. why? because you are the supreme authority?

Actually, there's no point in discussing Ddooling since Brian Hill won't do it anyways besides, not many care to see Dooling at PG, furthermore if you knew what you were talking about, you'd have known by now Dooling insn't the distributor the Magic need. He'd average about similar numbers at the expense of very inconsistent shooting.

IMO the skeptics have the same mindset as our coach who doesn't try anything unless it has shown itself in "practice" first among our players, andd doesn't see the game is played against a different team. Nothing is for sure until it's tried. The Magic might look great in practice but their in-the-game offense stinks.

Courtskills added his viewpoint as a player to my idea.

but:

quote:
Originally posted by hessman22:

He would be one of if not the slowest point guards in the league.

He can't drive and create for others.

He couldn't guard anyone.

Other than that he would be the next Steve Nash

This is not an esaggeration but flat out wrong. So unless you can show some examples, etc why post stuff just for the sake of posting? lol..

Does a player have to be born a Point Guard? Is there something that says this position can't be taught and learned? JJ could certainly learn. He has the basketball mentality to learn it and the heart to practice it and put it to good use. But as a shooting guard he is much better. It never hurts to have a lot of back up talent in case of injuries and unforeseen situations.

Why would we want JJ as a pg? That's my real question.

He isn't one, and even if we make the wild assumption that we could mold him into a point, we'd be wasting his talents as a shooting guard. That just seems silly.

I can't believe this post has lasted this long. People want Redick to play so bad they are willing to give him a shot there. There is something wrong with this.

Start the J.J. Redick chants at the Magic game, don't argue whether he can play point or not because everyone knows he would be a much better 2 gaurd.

If we want J.J. was chanted everygame, eventually it will be tried. Hill would get pressure from someone inside the org., because if you lose the fans better get what they pay to see. Prime season ticket selling starts next month. If they don't see immediate renewals the organization will give the fans what they want.

If you don't win and don't give fans what they want, they leave. The solution to this all is win and most fans believe by playing Redick, the Magic have a better chance of winning. This could be a win/win for the organization.

So stop all the J.J. point gaurd talk and start the We want J.J. talks especially during the game.

quote:
In limited minutes JJ is constantly running around, throwing quick passes, and I've seen him dribble the ball well enough. Also less likely to throw the ball away. So you saw a college game, that doesn't mean anything. Quickness does not a PG make. Is Nash that quick? Is Diener that quick, was Skiles that quick?

JJ doesn't even have to be a playmaker all of the sudden, just a guy who brings the ball down. Then playing Travis, a true PG who can make his teammates better would also imrpove our ofensive execution considerably.

For starters I saw alot more than 1 Duke game. I'm a huge Blue Devil fan and I've seen almost every game that JJ played for 4 years. I'll take what I've seen over what you "think" will work anyday. If you want to think that JJ can play PG then go ahead. Just remember that alot of teams have tried to turn "tweener" guards into PGs and most of the time it doesn't work. Before I end my involvment in this silly discussion I want to point out how flawed some of your arguments are.

In your first sentence you mention watching JJ play and you described his playing style. Running around screens, making entry passes, and you described what he does best. The problem is that those are the attributes of a 2 guard not a point. Starting PG's try to get their teammates involved but they also dribble penetrate and break down defenses when nothing else is available. The difference between most starting pgs and backup pgs is the ability to penetrate. Its the precise reason that Diener plays the way he does. He could be a very good backup PG but I doubt he will ever be a consistent starter. There's nothing wrong with a PG doing that if its his natural position but to convert a potentially very good starting 2 guard into a backup PG is stupid.

You're right when you say that neither Nash or Skiles are very quick. The problem is that both of them are superior ball handlers. Nash might have the best handle in the NBA. Like I said before, JJ struggled mightily handling the ball at the top of the key in college. You're going to keep your hard headed opinion so I'll quit trying to convince you.

Courtskils u are right our 29-33 supports are need to stay with the lineup that has basically started 62 games. Changes are not needed, I mean show me a handful of games when your two point guards have zero assists. There assists are normally low anyway so lets not even consider any changes and do it the bhill way. The fans are frustrated for many reasons and absolutely frustrated that JJ sits the pines. He is a young and exciting player and with any type of encouragement and playing time he would be a very good all around player. Give him 62 games of playing time and I bet his shooting percentage would be the best of all the SG and small forwards. Fans are looking for a place for him to play and lets face it our PG's over all have been very inconsistent and have played poorly all year. He is a professional and I am sure he can handle the point and do a decent job. BTW he looked extremely quick getting down the court the other night when his assit to Dooling on his dunk and the PG type of feed to ariza wasn't so bad either. Give him time where ever he can play. He is smart and talented and is a true team player. BTW I have played and coached BB and your critique of JJ's dribbling is just an opinion and I believe coach K's assesments are just a bit more meaningful.

I agree with emory for the most part but what if perhaps lets say our point guard did the dribbling up the court and pentration if needed but man if JJ was the point man on offensive side where he was distributing the ball as the person Hill wants to have passing you saw how much beter our passing became when JJ was brought in. I dont think i've ever seen Jameer or arroyo pass the ball as well as JJ was doing last night.

From Magic007 "BTW I have played and coached BB and your critique of JJ's dribbling is just an opinion and I believe coach K's assesments are just a bit more meaningful"

When did Coach K say J.J. could run point, how many Duke games did you watch.

Just because you coach and play doesn't mean you know basketball. Hey guy's I'm a coach listen to me. It's true, my thoughts are my opinion just like everyone has theirs. And I know most people who knew the ins and outs of the game would agree with me about my synopsis of his ball handling skills. My guess is that you don't coach ball handling skills or play a gaurd position or else you would see a lot of the same things I do.

Why don't you watch old Duke games and see how quickly Redick picks up the ball when pressure comes. I think Redick is a great player, but there is a reason he has never been a point gaurd his whole career.

You ever wonder why the NFL combine has a 40 time and shuttle time? So you can see the quickness. Just because Redick ran down the court fast doesn't mean he can cut or change direction like a good PG.

Wow. 6 pages of JJ at the point? Okay guys. Even as die hard JJ fans why would you even want to see this on his behalf. Rookie year, getting used to the NBA and not getting playing time and now throw in learning to be a NBA point guard. Come on. Enough already. Lets see more of that sweeet release on a shot before we even talk about on a pass.

Courtskills I am confused! I did not see where majic007 said coach k thought redick should be a pg, I mean JJ played with some great pg's. He wasn't needed but if he would have been I believe coach K would of not hesitated in using him. He uses his Sg this year and he is only a freshman. I think the whole point here is that the people want JJ to play more. It is electric in the house when he plays. And that has to help everyone in a positive way. My opinion on the dribbling...well Jim Furyk has an ugly swing in golf but it sure is effective. Not every one has perfect form...oh except JJ's jump shot. And maybe it is just me, but I am tired of hearing he is too slow, can't jump, can't play defense..etc. etc. etc. He is a player and he is exactly what we need.

Sorry, still don't see anything wrong with JJ playing up top and being more involved in passing the ball as a distributing guard that defensees have to respect because he can also light it up.

imagine this future line up:

JJ

Vince Carter

Ariza

Darko

Howard

I think that lineup would be beautiful offensively*, not to mention very well balancedd.

*asuming our current coach is replaced