Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

A brighthouse guy came to where i was working, and of course, I was like " whaTS UP WITH BRIGHT HOUSE not showing the magic games, and he went on saying 14 new channels were going to be added, I asked him if FSN was going to be one he said he thought so. Then he went on to talk about how whenever they call his broadband phone it pops up caller id on his tv. I guess we'll all have that someday. We'll see. The guy might have been a nutjob though.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Alright LoD, here is what I know.

I'm a Tivo guy. I love it, and the Bright House DVR was nothing close to it. It loaded slowly, looked crappy (the interface and box itself), and only kept one week worth of program info.

The DirectTV DVR isn't Tivo either, but it's a hell of a lot closer. It keeps program info for at least two weeks in advance, is scary fast to load and work, and looks badass (both the interface and the box itself).

I paid $199 for the DirectTV DVR. Yeah, that is pretty expensive, but I made a mistake. When I called and got DirectTV I did not try to haggle them for a better price. LoD, if you call them up and tell them you are interested in switching from cable, but can't justify the price of the DVR, I guarantee they will be willing to throw some deals at you to get you to switch.

When I made the switch, they installed everything the next day, and this is what I got.

-One HD DVR for $199

-Two standard receivers for $4.99 each a month ($10.00) total

-All the HBO's, Max, and Starz free for 3 months

-All the XM radio stations... Way better than Music Choice

-All the local channels

-FSN!!!

-The NFL Network (even though I don't watch it, much less know what channel it is, but I know some of you actually like the NFL)

-Many, many more HD channels like CNN HD and others.

My bill looks like this:

49.99 for all the channels

10.00 for the two standard boxes

-----

5.00 Taxes...

-----

65.00 For all of the above

45.00 - I kept Bright House's internet because there isn't a faster OR better priced option, even though it is pretty slow in our area because of the high volume of usage.

-----

Now, before, when I had Bright House, I was paying something like 125.00 for the total package, so I am actually saving 15.00. This deal, however, only lasts for one year. After one year, the 49.99 package goes up 20.00 to 69.99 a month. So, when all is said and done, I'll be paying 5 to 10 dollars a month for DirectTV... But it's worth it!

For what it's worth - I had been thinking of dropping Brighthouse for some time now. After realizing how many HD channels DirecTV had - I finally made the switch. Following the advice here - I called and made the case that I hated to pay $199 for a DVR system that I already have 2 of now and can't use. The sales rep provided an additional $100 credit that will show up on the first months bill. Additionally, if you have a family/friend with existing service, they will provide another $50 in the form of $10/mo off bill for 5 months. Just thought I'd pass along the info. $49 is a more reasonable price - though you do still have the initial $199 charge - you'll get $150 back.

quote:
For what it's worth - I had been thinking of dropping Brighthouse for some time now. After realizing how many HD channels DirecTV had - I finally made the switch. Following the advice here - I called and made the case that I hated to pay $199 for a DVR system that I already have 2 of now and can't use. The sales rep provided an additional $100 credit that will show up on the first months bill. Additionally, if you have a family/friend with existing service, they will provide another $50 in the form of $10/mo off bill for 5 months. Just thought I'd pass along the info. $49 is a more reasonable price - though you do still have the initial $199 charge - you'll get $150 back.

I'm glad you learned from my mistake and got that $100 credit!

Well Comcast still has no intentions of ever showing games so much so that FSN in St. Augustine doesn't even show the games listed on the TV Guide it has its alternate programming showing up.

I called comcast no help and sent off emails to complain to the politictians in Florida. Comcast actually has a link that directs you how to complain about them, not that it does any good.

The FSN - Cox Cable holdout is over! For customers with cox cable in the gainesville area, we are now getting the magic games that are on FSN! Hopefully, this is a pre-cursor for brighthouse.