Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Arroyo, Nelson-Best friends on/off the court in new offense-Why can't their fans?(F.T

Echo4papa: You are missing the point. My reply was (initially) to Blackhennie who stated that Arroyo and the Magic "just [...] played china with out ming or that guy on the bucks. That is like playing an ok college team.

arroyo did a pretty good job overall, because you can only play the team in front of you but remember it was not the cavs or a nba team." Therefore, he was diminishing Arroyo's talent because,as he thought, the chinese team was a lesser opponent.That is why I came up with the fact that Arroyo had a similar performance against a much more impressive opponent, the USA Dream Team of this past summer. If you look objectively at that Dreamm Team, and to the fact that it went undefeated for 10 games, you would have to admmit that no other nba pg leading the PR team could have defeated the NBA Dream Team of this past summer.That is not the same situation of the 2002 Olympics. For that Olympics the USA Dream Team was not as powerfull as the USA team that was selected and trained very hard for this past summer FIBA Americas qualyfing tournement for the Olympics. That is all, the rest is in your head. Lets go Magic!

I think hubie stated it perfectly on the game last night. he said that carlos' game on the pr team is different than in the nba. carlos doesn't have much confidence playing in the nba, as compared to the way he plays with the pr team. in the pr team he is the number one offensive focus. he is the player that other players are setting up. in the nba it is the other way around.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I think hubie stated it perfectly on the game last night. he said that carlos' game on the pr team is different than in the nba. carlos doesn't have much confidence playing in the nba, as compared to the way he plays with the pr team. in the pr team he is the number one offensive focus. he is the player that other players are setting up. in the nba it is the other way around.

I've spoused and agreed with this theory that suggests a mindframe that Carlos has to adapt to but not the one that he is a mediocre player that cant become an opener. The needs of the team and coach to create the right chemistry to win in the NBA may not let him get the role he desires. He like Jameer is an offensively minded PG that seem this year to have molded better to Stan's style. If Carlos had a decent 3 pt NBA range he would have been a starter in this team from the beginning. Its still yet to see which PG, when the games become competitive will mantain the pass first attitude to keep the rest of th eteam involved. Like we have seen during the last games Arroyo has sparked the team coming off the bench in this manner and jameer has kept us in the game as a starter. I think these guys will split varying degrees of time according to how they are performing during the season.

jameer and Dwight is the face of the franchise. I don't think carlos will havbe anything to match on that fact. that said, jameer will likely start over carlos, barring any unforeseen events.

although I do expect carlos to give jameer the competiton now, unlike last year. we saw it when carlos was newly acquired, his stats were really good. he strived on the open court style. but brian changed it last season.

you could see the difference during last season and this season, carlos' game was really tight last year. he was afraif making mistakes. but this year, he has the confidence.

quote:
jameer and Dwight is the face of the franchise.

Fendi, I agree with the fact that Otis wants Jameer to step up since he will be cheaper to sign than Carlos and younger, yet the new face is where the money went, Howard and Rashard.

quote:
I can only hear an Echo Echo Echo of the same silliness.

Thats almost funny... but makes me feel sad for both you and CarlosDarwin... because it seems you both keep missing my original point. Its almost as bad as Otis bidding against himself in free agency.

Im proud to have both Nelson and Arroyo on our team. They both are starters to me. But 1 of them will stay and thats gonna be Nelson. I just cant see Arroyo still wanting to be here next season as Nelson backup when he could easily start somewhere else. Also i dont think the Magic wanna extend or resign him after this season. If they resign him it will probaly be a 1year deal and a player like him should probaly look elsewhere. So the Magic might include him in a package deal. So im liking what both guys has shown so far and hope they continue doing there best to help this team be successful. So the debating on who's better should really end, i mean damm their both playing about the same now. Its just Nelson has less turnovers.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Im proud to have both Nelson and Arroyo on our team. They both are starters to me. But 1 of them will stay and thats gonna be Nelson. I just cant see Arroyo still wanting to be here next season as Nelson backup when he could easily start somewhere else. Also i dont think the Magic wanna extend or resign him after this season. If they resign him it will probaly be a 1year deal and a player like him should probaly look elsewhere. So the Magic might include him in a package deal. So im liking what both guys has shown so far and hope they continue doing there best to help this team be successful. So the debating on who's better should really end, i mean damm their both playing about the same now. Its just Nelson has less turnovers.

great post Rob...i never thought id hear you say that...lawl...

but i can only think of a couple of reasons why Arroyo would want to stay:

#1- we're gonna be a winning team...players like to play on winning teams...

#2- hes in Florida...close to PR...and hes got a bunch of fans here...

other than that, i think youre right...

I believe Carlos Arroyo does not need to be a scorer in order to help the magic win ball games. In last night game he pushed the ball very well and also distributed the way a PG should. He also showed last night some pretty good defense (in your face type of defense). Still he is the backup to Jameer and that is they way it should be. I like CA as the backup.

quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

Stated by Jose:

quote:
Both are C+ level PG's who will push each other to the B level.
Very subjective criteria. I may or may not agree with you in your c+ or B assesment of both Nelson and Arroyo, but I would have to ask you: What is your criteria for an A PG?

Kidd, Nash, Arenas, Davis.