Sign in to follow this  
Rico

Tony Battie injury update

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Looks like Chris Webber is heading to Greece! Otis, are you making any calls and or adjustments for our roster?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3040997

Junkie - Didn't I tell you a couple weeks ago about the growing appeal of NBA players going over to Europe. If one big name NBA star were to go over, the competition with the NBA would become tense. The popularity of playing in Europe has got to be at an all time high right now and certain to expand.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Looks like Chris Webber is heading to Greece! Otis, are you making any calls and or adjustments for our roster?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3040997

Junkie - Didn't I tell you a couple weeks ago about the growing appeal of NBA players going over to Europe. If one big name NBA star were to go over, the competition with the NBA would become tense. The popularity of playing in Europe has got to be at an all time high right now and certain to expand.

Yes you did. I remember it. But right now I'm worried about Dr. Otis Smith. I hope he knows what he's doing.

I'm sick of mediocrity as it pertains to Magic fans!!!

Hey guys, I just found an interview done with Tony Battie this afternoon. He talks in detail about his injury and how the team is gonna play with him out. I'll give you one quote without telling you everything he said. He expects and wants the Magic to finish in the upper half of the East(top 4)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/

Just click under Battie's picture.

Ooops sorry, you have to scroll down to the Battie picture underneath Tim Povtak.

quote:
Originally posted by Wyrm:

Rakovic anyone?

Ri-i-i-i-ight. Maybe we can bring back Mario Kasun. I don't think we need another young big with no NBA experience. Most bigs coming out of Europe, or college are not physically ready to contribute 15-20 minutes a game. Will Rakovic ever make it to the NBA? Maybe. Let me just say this, Geert Hammink.

Here's what it says on the Magic website;

Bad News for Battie

By Nick Adams | September 28, 2007

Battie spoke with the media today at RDV Sportsplex.

The front line of the Magic took a major blow this morning as it was announced that Tony Battie could potentially miss a good portion of the 2007-2008 season with a partially torn rotator cuff.

Magic doctors diagnosed a partial tear in Battie's left shoulder last week. Battie, seeking a second opinion, had his shoulder examined on Thursday at Duke University Medical Center.

The results came back negative for a full tear, but the partial tear was significant enough for the doctors to recommend surgery.

"I've got two different opinions right now from two different doctors and they both informed me that it looks like surgery," said Battie.

Battie added that the surgery has not yet been scheduled for a time and place, but he is visiting with another prominent doctor to get their opinion in hopes of making a decision soon.

Until the surgery is preformed it is not known the specific time frame of Battie's absence.

"Obviously it is going to be a significant amount of time," said Battie, "but you can't really judge that because we have to wait and see how everything with the surgery turns out."

The injury was said to have occurred while practicing at the RDV Sportsplex last week. Dwight Howard was backing Battie down in the post when Tony felt a tweak in his shoulder.

After injuring the shoulder, Battie and the Magic training staff took a look at it after practice. They decided that if the pain returned tomorrow that they would take a further look.

The next day, Battie practiced and the pain escaladed, causing the training staff to take an MRI.

"My first thought was to try and play through it," said Battie, "but from visiting with the doctors thus far, I don't want to turn a partial tear into a complete tear."

Battie was coming of a very productive off-season in which he lost 30 pounds. He changed his diet, did abdominal workouts, core training, and was in the best shape of his career.

"It's extremely frustrating to have worked all summer just to have this happen a week before training camp," added Battie.

Battie's low post presence and solid leadership was missed 16 games last season with a fractured right thumb. The team realizes how important Battie is and commented on how they have to compensate for his absence.

"We will all have to step up," stated Bo Outlaw. "Tony is a big part of what we do defensively and offensively, so we have to collectively step up because I don't think one person can replace Tony."

Drafted with the fifth overall pick by Denver in 1997, Battie joined the Magic in the 2004-2005 season. In his three years with the Magic, Battie has played in 93 percent of the games. In those games he averaged just under 25 minutes while scoring 6.3 points and grabbing 5.5 rebounds.

"It's a big blow to us," added Pat Garrity. "He is such a vital part to our front line, so everyone is just going to have to step up."

Despite everything Battie seemed determined to make a full recovery.

"Unfortunately injuries happen but it's a part of the game, and I will get through it."

2 words Stromile Swift Otis get him here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MdFy7fODnQo&mode=related&search=

I dont care what you have to do Otis but get this dude. With Memphis picking up Darko which hes going to be playing alot of minutes and their already sold on Hakim Warrick so that leaves Stromile Swift with not that much playing time. If he was here he would start immediately. We would have 1 of the nastiest frontcourts in the league. The guy is not getting used and hes very talented. Brings defense rebounding and is a good finisher. What more can you ask for from this 28 yr old. Hes not young but hes not old either unlike resigning Bo Outlaw, this who we need. Hes in his prime and could really contribute to this team. Whatever it takes to get him here, he will make a quick change to this team.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

[

I dont care what you have to do Otis but get this dude. With Memphis picking up Darko which hes going to be playing alot of minutes and their already sold on Hakim Warrick so that leaves Stromile Swift with not that much playing time. If he was here he would start immediately. We would have 1 of the nastiest frontcourts in the league. The guy is not getting used and hes very talented. Brings defense rebounding and is a good finisher. What more can you ask for from this 28 yr old. Hes not young but hes not old either unlike resigning Bo Outlaw, this who we need. Hes in his prime and could really contribute to this team. Whatever it takes to get him here, he will make a quick change to this team.

This could work

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...s=19~19~29&te=&cash=

Turkoglu for Stromile Swift and a kid named Tarence Kinsey.

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

[

This could work

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...s=19~19~29&te=&cash=

Turkoglu for Stromile Swift and a kid named Tarence Kinsey.

Turkoglu for Kinsey and Swift sounds good to me. Kinsey is pretty good and Swift is a beast. All that for Turkoglu, Cmon Otis get this deal done. The Grizzles play Kinsey more than Swift. Their not even using his talent and we could really use Swift here. I would feel more comfortable knowing that Battie is out but we have Swift now and he can give us more than Battie did. Kinsey is a good bench player possibly starter, but with the minutes he was given, he put up decent stats. Also both players play defense. I like this deal.