Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

Half Court Trap

I have noticed that at times lately, the Magic have put in a half-court trap. They only do it a few times and never more than two possessions in a row.

I realize at the NBA level, traps are beat easily, however, with D12, Darko, Ariza and Dooling on the floor, I noticed the Heat had trouble seeing over our defenders, and their athleticism allowed them to catch up to the ball if it beat them at certain levels.

My question is twofold. When did we start doing this? (I don't remember seeing this during our plummet out of the top of the conference)

and, Why don't we do this more often?

I have noticed that at times lately, the Magic have put in a half-court trap. They only do it a few times and never more than two possessions in a row.

I realize at the NBA level, traps are beat easily, however, with D12, Darko, Ariza and Dooling on the floor, I noticed the Heat had trouble seeing over our defenders, and their athleticism allowed them to catch up to the ball if it beat them at certain levels.

My question is twofold. When did we start doing this? (I don't remember seeing this during our plummet out of the top of the conference)

It work at times against the Heat because they were missing ballhandlers in Wade and Payton.

Good situation strategy against a team playing a D-league PG as a back-up.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

This is the same problems that the Heat had when they tried to close out those two wins they had against us last year. The pressure defense was set when we were down in the second half, fourth quarter but the Magic didn't do it the whole game.

Another thing, has anyone noticed that at the end of quarters the last few games our point guards have actually exacted a few two for ones? I get so pissed when there is 40 seconds left and we run the shot clock down to one and take a shot, letting the other team run the rest of the clock down a take the last shot before the buzzard. However, twice during the Miami game the Magic actually took a shot with a little over 30 seconds, thus guaranteeing themselves another shot. And what do you know... it worked both times.

yeah, I noticed that. I side for you, when they work I am happy as I could ever be; when they miss, I think, crap why did we take so long. Jameer is good for hitting those pull up jumpers with only seconds left. Thats whose hands the ball should be inat the end of each quarter.