Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Povtak on PG situation

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Trading Jameer for Miller is a pipe dream, even if we sweetened it up with Hedo or a future pick.

Jameer's trade value has plummeted this season and he's fast becoming the poor man's Allen Iverson. Needless to say... the poor man's Allen Iverson is a bench player, not a starter.

Philadelphia is happy with Andre Miller and he is expected to lead their rebuilding process, which they hope will be a quick turnaround.

I still believe Philly would love to have their native son back. Plus, from what I've heard, the national media, especially Philly's media (Stephen A. Smith), blames Jameer's lack of growth on B. Hill. I just saw Smith talk about this on ESPN News this past week. Remember that Philly supposedly wanted to do a trade surrounding AI for Jameer in the fall but we had little interest in the deal. Plus, Jameer's contract is incredible value right now. IMHO, Jameer would thrive in Philly because they need punch from the perimeter due to their lack of low post offense.

What I'm saying has nothing to do with whether or not Philly likes Nelson. What I'm saying is that there's no way they'll trade away Miller for Nelson, Philly likes Miller and they want to keep him.

Besides, Miller is making $9mil this season, so even trading Jameer & Hedo together doesn't make it add up unless we throw Garrity's contract, which NOBODY is going to want to take on.

I mean, maybe we could do a trade involving Nelson & $3mil Contract for Korver, which would be nice, but Philly isn't going to trade a two time NBA assist leader for Jameer Nelson... cmon guys... get real.

This is the same kind of talk where we think VC is going to take a huge pay cut to come to Orlando. This kind of stuff just doesn't happen in the NBA.

Agreed, getting Miller would be nice but we have to give up something significant to get something significant.

Now, I could maybe see a Jameer Nelson & Darko trade for Miller.

Nelson: $1.5m/yr

Darko: Signed to $7.5m/yr

Miller: $9mil/yr

That's something that could work. But even then... would they want Darko enough?

I bet there are going to be other teams knocking on Philly's door for Andre Miller and I think it'll take a knock-your-socks-off type of deal to pry Miller away.

Miller is the type of player you KEEP, yknow? Denver came thisclose to nixing the Iverson trade b/c they wanted desperately to keep Miller...

I'm sure that Philly would make that trade but we wouldn't. I'll will be shocked if we trade Jameer so it doesn't matter. I will be even more shocked if Otis trades Darko, especially for a pg. That just isn't going to happen.

1. Chauncey Billups will not go anywhere. Detroit has come out and publically said they will do anything to keep him. Remember they let Ben Wallace leave because they knew they had to sign Billups. I think they are hoping that no one offers him max money so they do not have to. Ben Wallace chased the money in part to not liking Flip Saunders. Once the Pistons became an offensive oriented team it diminshed the role of Big Ben. Billups in an intergral piece to Detroit and they will not let him walk.

2. Andre Miller would be great and if they want a package built around Jameer...done and done. What would be wrong with getting Andre Miller, Diener backing him up and then picking up a low risk pg in the second round. The only draw back to Miller would be that it would prevent the Magic from getting VC or RLewis. I think I would rather see Nelson/Diener/Crittendon and VC then Miller/Diener/Crittendon.....SG poo poo platter.

3. I really think they are going to give Jameer next year to see if he can make himself a legit point guard and if not move in another direction.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

1. Chauncey Billups will not go anywhere. Detroit has come out and publically said they will do anything to keep him. Remember they let Ben Wallace leave because they knew they had to sign Billups. I think they are hoping that no one offers him max money so they do not have to. Ben Wallace chased the money in part to not liking Flip Saunders. Once the Pistons became an offensive oriented team it diminshed the role of Big Ben. Billups in an intergral piece to Detroit and they will not let him walk.

2. Andre Miller would be great and if they want a package built around Jameer...done and done. What would be wrong with getting Andre Miller, Diener backing him up and then picking up a low risk pg in the second round. The only draw back to Miller would be that it would prevent the Magic from getting VC or RLewis. I think I would rather see Nelson/Diener/Crittendon and VC then Miller/Diener/Crittendon.....SG poo poo platter.

3. I really think they are going to give Jameer next year to see if he can make himself a legit point guard and if not move in another direction.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with picking up Andre Miller. Heck, he'd be the solution to all of our problems at PG *AND* we'd still have all of our cap room to sign VC. It'd be the best scenario possible.

I repeat though, Philly is NOT going to give Miller up for Jameer + Peanuts unless they've TOTALLY lost their minds. Hell, they wouldn't do it for Jameer and Darko I don't think. Miller is an extremely valuable player, a top10 point guard in this league that knows the importance of distributing the ball.

Besides all that, you're right that we aren't going to trade Jameer unless it's in an incredible deal so it's probably a moot point anyway.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with picking up Andre Miller. Heck, he'd be the solution to all of our problems at PG *AND* we'd still have all of our cap room to sign VC. It'd be the best scenario possible.

I repeat though, Philly is NOT going to give Miller up for Jameer + Peanuts unless they've TOTALLY lost their minds. Hell, they wouldn't do it for Jameer and Darko I don't think. Miller is an extremely valuable player, a top10 point guard in this league that knows the importance of distributing the ball.

Besides all that, you're right that we aren't going to trade Jameer unless it's in an incredible deal so it's probably a moot point anyway.

Oh I do not see anything wrong with Andre Miller. He would be great!! I just think you cannot have him, Darko, and VC. To get Andre you have to not sign VC or let Darko walk.

Drain-o! My man.

If we traded to get Andre Miller it wouldn't have any effect on our ability to sign a marquee free agent.

Because we'd be trading and not signing him outright (Miller is under contract for next season), we'd have to give up as much salary as we'd get in return for him, give or take a little bit.

Since our total salary commitments do not change, the amount we are under the cap will stay the same.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

quote:

Drain-o! My man.

If we traded to get Andre Miller it wouldn't have any effect on our ability to sign a marquee free agent.

Because we'd be trading and not signing him outright (Miller is under contract for next season), we'd have to give up as much salary as we'd get in return for him, give or take a little bit.

Since our total salary commitments do not change, the amount we are under the cap will stay the same.

Military, maybe I missed it but, what would motivate Billy King to trade a talent like Miller, it would have to be for more than Jameer wouldn't it???

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:

Drain-o! My man.

Military, maybe I missed it but, what would motivate Billy King to trade a talent like Miller, it would have to be for more than Jameer wouldn't it???

I do not think anyone was saying that he would do it, it would just be a great alternative. Also keep in mind that Billy King is the guy who has traded for Chris Webber, gave Dalembert $60 million dollars, signed Willie Green to a 5 year deal after he tore up his knee playing pick up basketball, traded for Todd MacCollum and Jamal Mashburn, and waited about 2 years to long to trade Allen Iverson. So with Billy King you never know.

quote:

Drain-o! My man.

Actually you are correct. I did not think about matching salary for salary. I am glad you are here to keep me in line.