Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Povtak on PG situation

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

No I do not believe you are wrong in what you are saying I was just stating that alot of times the agents are the ones who start up these negotiations. Then they let it leak to the media hoping that fans will back Nelson thus making it harder for the Magic not to extend him. The Magic converesely could have let it slip to make him and his agent look bad and light a fire underneath him. I am in no way absolving Jameer of his putrid play.

Think about it. At college he was doubted and everyone said he was to small and St. Joes was not good enough. Well he leads them to an undefeated season. He thinks he is going to be a top ten pick and slips until pick 20. He thinks he deserves to play starting point guard and comes off the bench when he is clearly outplaying his counterpart. This year for the first time he was handed something of signifigance without any doubts. I seriously think some players need that edge, that extra something that drives them and this may be it for Jameer. Extending him at this point would only be as a friend of Dwights. That is no reason to pay someone and I do not think Dwight will walk away from max dollars because his buddy does not get a contract. If Jameer wants an extension he can earn it with his play on the court.

It's true what you say about his agent. His agent doesn't get paid until Jameer gets paid. This might have been another case of the agent leading the player to do something stupid, ala DeShawn Stevenson.

I didn't give that full consideration.

Who is Jameer's agent, anyway? For some reason I remember it being a big-name agent that represents some top-notch talent. Whoever he is, it seems like he might be feeding Jameer dis-information.

I'm not so sure Jameer falls into the "needs motivation to be good" category anymore. I think Jameer is too prideful to take up that attitude again until the floor REALLY falls out from under him (read: he needs to be HUMBLED).

Actually his only client of signifigance is Jameer. His name is Steve Mountain. Alot of times these guys trick these players into believing that they will be the "premier client" and he will make them alot of money. Bonzi Wells turned down 39 million from the Kings because his new agent said he would get more. Well he ended up signing a one year deal with Houston. Stevenson's agent did the same thing. This guy has absolutely no leverage at this point so he was probably trying to secure something in case the wheels fall off of Jameer completely.

quote:
When Jameer is playing aggresive and his shot is falling (like the Spurs game) he is one hell of player. He needs to earn the right to play with Dwight by being that guy night in and out.
I am sorry to disagree, its when he is hot that the team looses vitality since he fails to make the assists and plays. Jameer making a shot is like a shark smelling blood, a shot frenzy. I agree that this media interchange will not be beneficial to his performance and the teams. Jameer to stay with the team will have to be as a back up role and some SG time behinfd a true PG. I dont know if jameer will accept this. This is the main reason Carlos is out of the picture as a back up PG in the teams future plans.

Not that is necessarily the way to go but here is a list of projected point guards in the upcoming draft

Bobby Brown (New Edition)

Sean Singletary (UVA)

Taureen Green (UF)

Aaron Brooks (Oregon)

Jamon Gordon (VT)

Mustufa Shakur (Death Row Records)

J.R. Reynolds (UVA)

My pick if he declares

JAVARIS CRITTENDEN (GT).....Guess what he played AAU with Dwight and is really good. Would probably be a first round pick so it might take a trade to move up and grab him. Don't the Magic have 38 second round picks. He would need time to develop so let him back up Jameer for a year or a veteran stop gap and let him take over in 2008-2009.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

Not that is necessarily the way to go but here is a list of projected point guards in the upcoming draft

Bobby Brown (New Edition)

Sean Singletary (UVA)

Taureen Green (UF)

Aaron Brooks (Oregon)

Jamon Gordon (VT)

Mustufa Shakur (Death Row Records)

J.R. Reynolds (UVA)

My pick if he declares

JAVARIS CRITTENDEN (GT).....Guess what he played AAU with Dwight and is really good. Would probably be a first round pick so it might take a trade to move up and grab him. Don't the Magic have 38 second round picks. He would need time to develop so let him back up Jameer for a year or a veteran stop gap and let him take over in 2008-2009.

I totally agree with you about Javaris, he's going to be a great player.

My second choice would be Jamon Gordon, he's a great defensive point guard who has freaky long arms and steals passes, disrupts dribbling, etc. On offense he's a great passer and runs the fast break perfectly. His drawback is that he's not a good three point shooter and shoots 65% from the free throw line. He reminds me of Keyon, always hustling and he's fast. He could be available with our second round pick.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Jameer making a shot is like a shark smelling blood, a shot frenzy.

I completely agree. His shooting frenzies have become a cancer for this team. I say he can not leave Orlando fast enough.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Blake is an interesting one, I think Denver will want to keep him. But they will be paying the luxury tax next year, which might make them hesistant to match any contract. He fits in well there because they don't need him to score much with AI and Melo around.

Problem is we still need a premium wing scorer if we sign a guy like this.

I think obtaining a point guard should be our first priority. Either through free agency with Steve Blake or Mo Williams, or through a trade for Andre Miller or the like.

Probably the most fundamental flaw with our team lies in ball movement and point guard play, not with a lack of wing players. Hedo and Ariza are both capable wing players and we can confirm sightings of a consistent jumpshot from Ariza, which is very tantalizing.

Even if we get another point guard, I'm not sure Hill will give him any playing time. He seems to favor Jameer no matter how badly he's playing. Nothing else can explain Diener staying on the bench. If Hill had given Diener any kind of a chance, I suspect this thread would not have come into being.

quote:
Originally posted by Rico:

Anybody knows if Leandro Barbosa got an extension with the suns. This guy would rock here.

Yes he did, too bad he and Josh Howard were guys I was hoping to be available.

I would go after Billups this summer. Carter did not do it in Toronto (except 1 season), did not make a difference in NJ and he won't make much difference in Orlando. I say go after Billups and package our two PG for a decent swingman and a back-up big man.