Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Denton, "Go Figure" the day after saying our roster has major flaws.(blog)

Hedo is a BIG, BIG part of the Magic's plan for success. Because we don't have a versatile shooting guard, Hedo takes that pressure off the offense when he is playing well. I just wish he factored into the team gameplan more often.

Yep I agree Smack. Hedo is a talented player and very effective. I love the guys size and with his ability he really is a keeper, as a starter or as the 6th man, a very effective player.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

Agreed!! As dim as it may appear, the light may be comming on for this guy (BHill). I also find it difficult that so much has been discussed as to what we need to do???? It is simple, have GHill throw away the playbook, free the players of that princeton (more like Prison) predictable offense. When we run, we beat the best the league has to offer, when you lock them in, prohibit the running game (which is our strength) you get Sacramento!! The proof is in the results, first half against the Kings, we ran them out of the gym, second half....Half court Princeton (Prison) offense! Sunday we face a well rested Heat team, and we run them out of the gym, we pressed the ball 94" and they never got into their sets...we win again...........Go Magic!!!!!

Dude, our team wasn't being prohibited from running, Sacramento came out and inexplicably starting playing tough D and our team came out on their laurels.

You can't just manufacture fast break opportunities... Sacramento started taking care of the ball and all those fouls slowed the game down to a crawl.

I felt helpless because the refs tied our hands up the entire second half. We just never got a chance to get running b/c every change of possession was from throwing it in-bounds after a foul or made shot.

The whole half court v.s. fast break thing isn't new news. The Magic have been in the top-10 in fast break points all year. It's up to players like Jameer to push the ball instead of doing his weird little waltz up the court. Maybe if Jameer was 6'6" his funky skipping waltz would get the ball up court a bit faster, but at 5'10" he looks like he's running in place when he brings the ball up.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Hedo is a BIG, BIG part of the Magic's plan for success. Because we don't have a versatile shooting guard, Hedo takes that pressure off the offense when he is playing well. I just wish he factored into the team gameplan more often.

Definitely agree about Hedo. He just hasn't been playing as well as I expected this year. Maybe he'll finish the year strongly for us.

Smack, I hope you don't mind me telling the guys that you attended the Heat game last night at American Airlines Arena.

Two questions. 1.) Tell us about the arena itself. How does it look? Where were your seats? Were you wearing your Magic gear while attending?(lol) 2.) Were you as stunned as the rest of us at how well the team played? When You walked out were you chanting,"Let's Go Magic"!

Seriously, give us the scoop.

Smack... you went to the game last night? Where were you sitting? I was trying to point out all the magic fans (i was there too, if you didnt already notice).

quote:
Definitely agree about Hedo. He just hasn't been playing as well as I expected this year. Maybe he'll finish the year strongly for us.

I hope Hedo does well to close out this season but if he finishes this season like last year it will be even more frusterating. What do we do with him then? Do we trade him and maybe pick up someone more consistent or do we keep him and take the chance of another very inconsistent season from him like this year? The way I feel about it is if he finishes the season strong then his trade value will be as high as we could hope and we get the best possible deal for him.

I think the American Airlines Arena is already trashed. They host so many events there, that although new, it looks like it's 20 years old. I never like going down there. It's fun hanging out at bayside prior to the games, but getting out of there once the game is over can take hours.

We were sitting in one of the executive boxes. And honestly, I don't uderstand why people pay so much money for those things. My buddy with JP Morgan pulled the strings to get us in there, but I would have preferred to sit somewhere closer to the court. I like the Orena and besdies the luxury ammenities that it lacks, think that it is still one of the best forums to watch a game at.

I wasn't wearing any Magic gear. Matter of fact, I only have one Magic t-shirt and my wife sleeps in it occassionaly.

As for the Magic, they looked great. They were moving the ball. They were hustling. They were taking good shots.

My observations: Grant looked old and slow. He seemed to be one step behind the pace of the game. He is not meant to play on a running offense for prolonged periods. Especially after coming back form his recent stint on the inactive list.

Darko looked great. He was running after long rebounds. He was fighting for rebounding position. He was playing hard agaiinst Shaq. If only we could convince our coach to give him more minutes and attempt jump shots to stretch the defense a bit.

The best thing in my opinion is that I was able to rag on my buddy that got us the seats. He is a Heat fan and an enormous trash talker. Not at any point was he able to get his jaws going. He was pretty quiet throughout the entire game. Don't think for a minute that I wasn't giving the other Heat fans an earful also. It isn't very often that we get a chance to brag about our team, so when we do, we must take full advantage.

The thing that I was chanting as we left the arena (several beverages later) was, THREE AND 0, THREE AND 0, THREE AND 0.

We're undefeated this year against the defending champs. Gotta let em hear it.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Keep him as a 6th man. Players off the bench are allowed to be inconsistent, and then when they have big games, it's all gravy.

He's a good value for, what, 6 mil/yr?

Do you think Brian Hill would play him off the bench? He does have a favorable contract and that would help us if we were to trade him.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Keep him as a 6th man. Players off the bench are allowed to be inconsistent, and then when they have big games, it's all gravy.

He's a good value for, what, 6 mil/yr?

Do you think Brian Hill would play him off the bench? He does have a favorable contract and that would help us if we were to trade him.

You know, it defies BHill-logic a bit, but I think he would. You know coach isn't happy with Hedo's turk-o-flu episodes and that a stomach-ache can keep him out of a very important game. Or that it takes BHill ragging on Hedo to get Hedo to start being more aggressive. All that being said, coach also consistently recognizes, in public, that Hedo is often the key to our success.

If our team is serious about consistency, and I think they are now, then Hedo makes a great candidate for 6th man, even moreso than Jameer does as 6th man, b/c Hedo is a more versatile player.

Hedo isn't in a class with Grant Hill or Tony Battie in terms of seniority so BHill's hands aren't tied there, are they? I think he can move Ariza into the starting 5 and put Hedo into a 6th man role next season.

You're right though, his nice contract might make this a moot point. A lot of teams out there (read: Denver Nuggets) need a perimeter shooter.

Hedo trade for Steve Blake + change? Seems possible.

Well the one thing helping your argument is Brian Hill really loves Ariza. I still think he is going to get moved but Blake is a free agent so we don't have to trade to get him.