LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Since our second 1st rounder this year will probably be in the teens, why wouldn't you want the potential #9 pick to declare for the draft? If Saric pulls out, everyone moves up one spot, and we get a lesser player.

That's a fair point but there was also a chance he could drop to our pick and I didn't want him at all

Article on Wiggins' poor ability to finish at the rim and why his ineffectiveness as a half-court scorer is a huge concern.

He seems to be carrying the correct level of usage based on his offensive skill set, so it would not be advantageous for him to shoot more frequently. The problem is rather that he has been unable to convert his spectacular tools into dominant play. In spite of his tremendous first step, he hasn’t regularly blown by his opponents in the half-court. In spite of his explosive athleticism, he hasn’t finished strong at the rim in traffic. In spite of his quick feet, he has often gone under screens when he has the tools to go over and still keep pace with his matchup. In spite of all of his explosiveness, mobility, and length he hasn’t generated a particularly impressive steal rate (although his steal rate isn’t bad).

It seems that many people have yet to open their minds to the possibility that Wiggins will be as underwhelming as Marvin Williams, which is silly. Williams was straight up better as a freshman, and sometimes good toolsy players just don’t develop the way people would hope. Wiggins finds himself sandwiched between fellow 5 star freshmen Luol Deng, Thaddeus Young, Harrison Barnes, and Quincy Miller. While his tools are superior to those players, it is a solid group to estimate his baseline value. I especially like the Thaddeus Young comparison since he shares Wiggins’ 3 + D + transition skill set. (Rudy Gay is also there, to provide a baseline.)

I really hate otis these days for that second rounder we owe cleveland which will essentially be a first rounder where we have contract flexibility...would have been nice in this deep draft

Alex Kennedy has Jabari Parker slipping to 5 in his latest mock lottery which he apparently based on conversations with execs over the all star weekend.

Jabari Parker slips to No. 5 because I’ve talked a few executives who are concerned that he’ll be a tweener in the NBA.

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-2014-nba-draft-mock-lottery/#IAYsW3Pd0sdvoZAc.99

I'm still of the impression that if one of these college teams faced the Philadelphia 76ers in a 7 game series they wouldn't get swept.

The Sixers STINK

Milwaukee is beating the crap out of them tonite ...

What are your guys' thoughts on PF Noah Vonleh? I wouldn't be to upset if we went with Exum or Smart with the first pick along with Vonleh with our second. This is obviously if we miss out on the chance to grab Wiggins or Parker.