LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

that shove doesn't change my opinion on him. 19yr old kid meets 50yr old dude. He'll get suspended no question, but nonissue in terms of draft position, talent, etc.

that shove doesn't change my opinion on him. 19yr old kid meets 50yr old dude. He'll get suspended no question, but nonissue in terms of draft position, talent, etc.

I'm more concerned that he can't shoot

Wow, I wonder how many games the NCAA suspend him for that shove.

Even if the guy said the most heinous thing imaginable to Smart, he still has to control himself in that setting. He can't go all mini-Artest on a fan during a game. I think he falls out of the lottery for sure.

Really?

Tyreke Evans was involved in a drive-by and it didn't seem to hurt him.

Last year he was a freshman and decided to skip out on the draft to improve, which inevitably raised the bar for this season, and guess what? It did nothing for him. He still can't shoot and though he has good defensive skills, he lacks in just about every other category....he should have gone last year when his stock was higher, right now he will be lucky to be in the top 10 by draft night.

Really?

Tyreke Evans was involved in a drive-by and it didn't seem to hurt him.

I don't have to look that hard to find examples of perceived character problems hurting a players draft stock. If his draft stock is already slipping, this incident could be the deciding factor for a lot of GMs to pass on him. There have been lots of rumors that Hennigan loves Smart. Do you think there is a chance that he is re-evaluating that opinion right now?

I'm sure he still loves him and is salivating at the thought of him dropping to our second pick

This^. If Smart starts slipping towards 10-12 I'd be shocked if we didn't make a strong play for him. This isn't a character issue, this is a guy who made a mistake in the heat of the moment.

• Upvote 1

You guys need to analyze the situation. If you watched closely, he looked like he was going to just go to court.......till something sparked him to go the other direction. All he did was push the guy and he turned and walked away. He didn't punch him, he didn't try to bloody the guy. He just pushed him. Then the media frenzy and you all know how the media works. Dehumanizing and making the situation seem worse than it was.

I'm so use to watching basketball that it just looked like a tech to me. Its not that serious. At the end of the day, he's Marcus Smart and he will be drafted no matter what.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure he still loves him and is salivating at the thought of him dropping to our second pick

I agree with you. I don't think Smart falls out of the first round. But as early as a week or two ago, there were members on this forum that were concerned that Hennigan might like Smart so much that he might be tempted to take him with our first pick. Our second pick is probably right around the time when he should come off the board....which is likely going to be a pick that is right at the end of the lottery.

And for the record, I'm positive that the dude who got shoved said something to Smart that he wouldn't have dared say to him on the street. 50 year old men should not be trying to provoke 20 year old kids into a fight.

So no one is the least bit concerned that this kid can't keep his cool in a situation like that? 2012 Dwight does that, this whole board erupts into a firestorm of how much of a punk Dwight is now, and how awful a human being he is. Were I the GM, I would seriously consider how much I would want to invest in a kid who has already shown he is not above potentially sacrificing his dreams (and if playing in the NBA is NOT his dream, I wouldn't want to invest much in him anyways) just to respond to some drunk idiot who he will most likely NEVER get that close to again.

Somehow he's going to NOT respond this way in situations where there is even MORE pressure on him to perform, and perform well? That he'll be able to handle other players who now know how easy it is to get under his skin and make him do this again? Kid is going to cost his team points, and potentially games, with that attitude. Can he overcome this? Possibly. I just wouldn't be willing to give up a draft pick and millions of dollars to find out.

Oh, and his basketball skills are apparently regressing a lot, too.

Here's my theory:

1. The old lady to the left says something fishy

2. Marcus Smart gets upset but, realizing that the old lady is a known flopper, confronts the underarmour enthusiast

3. The woman to the right looks like a ***** and should be fined