LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

http://www.newsobser...r-a-mormon.html

Parkers mission is optional and can be 18 months if needed.

Well, yes. Clearly there is no one who is going to cattle-prod him onto a plane for his mission. The discussion was whether or not he'd go on the mission, not whether or not he was going to be forced into it.

Some good games in the NCAA today. Duke/Syracuse, Kansas/Texas and OK State/Baylor are all worth a watch. I'd say Duke/Syracuse is the one to bookmark, seeing how Jabari plays against that zone will be interesting and there's also Tyler Ennis.

Well, yes. Clearly there is no one who is going to cattle-prod him onto a plane for his mission. The discussion was whether or not he'd go on the mission, not whether or not he was going to be forced into it.

I thought it was a faith based requirement, but it is not. Plus, someone said it was 2 years, but it is not. It can be 2 years but can also be 18 months.

If Parker goes on his mission it could be fantastic for a team like the MAGIC..the guy might fall far enough where we can use our second first rounder and an asset to move up and pick him up. God knows we dont need him for a year because we are still going to be struggling for a bit. Waiting for 18 months will make a few teams think twice versus the quick fix particularly in a deep draft where other ready to play talent exists.

If Parker goes on his mission it could be fantastic for a team like the MAGIC..the guy might fall far enough where we can use our second first rounder and an asset to move up and pick him up. God knows we dont need him for a year because we are still going to be struggling for a bit. Waiting for 18 months will make a few teams think twice versus the quick fix particularly in a deep draft where other ready to play talent exists.

I agree with this thinking. Let's be honest: Wiggins/Embiid/whomever next season is not magically turning us into contenders (probably not even playoff team). I doubt this scenario would happen but should the opportunity present itself I would give up pick + Harkless, maybe even Harris.

Some execs have told Chad Ford that even if Parker were going on his mission they'd still take him #1. Him sliding to the early teens is not going to happen. He'll be unlucky if he gets drafted after pick 3.

Smart is 13/53 (0.245) from the field in his last four games, including 3/28 from 3 (0.107). Yes, he is shooting 11% from 3 and yet has taken more than half of his shots from that distance in his last 4 games.

Smart scares the mess out of me

In the meantime, I love watching J. Grant play for Syracuse. Just knows how to play and bring energy

Ennis is interesting. He's not as good as D. Williams or as fast as Conley, yet I think he'll be a solid starter. Might Ennis be a bit like Billups? Hmmm