LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Of course it's obvious we needed a PF and a PG but remember this convo happened after the Embiid injury news and at that time almost every mock had Wiggins, Jabari and Exum going 1,2 and 3 in some order so for Exum to be there and Henni take a PF I think it's safe to say Nick spoke to JV or 1 of the assistants about what were looking for in the Draft.

I don't recall the extent of David Robinson's injury, but Grant Hill's was more than 3 months, especially considering his history.

Broken foot

Franchise 408 are you from San Jose, CA?

Yes, I am.

Born and raised in San Jose, moved just outside of Nashville, TN for a few years (where while living there, I finally made the drive down to Orlando to see my first Magic game IN Orlando, a life long dream of mine, my story of which can be found here: http://truebluenation.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19717-rip-amway-arena-not-just-yet/ and here: http://truebluenation.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19816-thank-you-orlando-for-what-may-have-been-the-best-night-of-my-life-as-a-sports-fan/ - I'm Nell2ThaIzzay in those posts - shameless plug, I know), and then just moved back to San Jose last year.

Fran Vasquez is exactly the point. We got nothing for one of those lottery years. So it wasn't the "tanking" that got us good.

Unless of course the team was built around one superstar, and we got that superstar via tanking. Which is exactly what happened.

But I've always really liked the way people choose to argue things like this. "This time it worked out poorly because of bad decision making, therefore the whole process msut be bad!" It's fun to think about applying that kind of hopelessly backward logic to other things.

"Stocks are a bad investment, you guys! I know a guy who invested in stocks and lost money, so that means that everyone who invests in stocks loses money"

"No guys! Don't do it! You can't build that bridge, because ONE TIME A BRIDGE COLLAPSED!"

It was gradually building towards being good, taking steps.

Right. After tanking for a superstar player in the draft. Also: no one is arguing that we're going to instantly go from drafting in the top 10 to being a contender. The argument is that you build year over year after you obtain a nucleus to build around, but you have to build a nucleus first.

7 year plan? Where the hell did you get that from? We were in the Finals in Dwight's 5th year, and in the playoffs 2 years before that.

It was 6 not, 7. It turns out it's very hard to parse what you were saying earlier, but what the hell, let's play the counting game:

suck, lottery, 1 year suck less, lower lottery, 2 year low seed playoff, early tournament exit, 3 year higher seed playoff, deeper run, 4 year attractive situation for free agents, high seed playoff team, deep run, 5 year legit contender 6 year

That was me who posted it. I asked Nick does he think we will take Exum at 4 if he is there and he told me no because he hasn't played against any great competition and he believes we are taking a PF at 4 and a PG at 12. Everyone here laughed and said Nick didn't know Sh*t guess they were wrong lol

Ha-Ha-Ha....Good stuff, lol....Thanks for setting us straight !

I don't recall the extent of David Robinson's injury, but Grant Hill's was more than 3 months, especially considering his history.

In an interview with Scott van pelt this season they spoke about tanking and grant hill mentioned that with about 3 weeks left in the season he was able to play and the team said no, we have a shot at the number one pick.

Yes, I am.

Born and raised in San Jose, moved just outside of Nashville, TN for a few years (where while living there, I finally made the drive down to Orlando to see my first Magic game IN Orlando, a life long dream of mine, my story of which can be found here: http://truebluenation.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19717-rip-amway-arena-not-just-yet/ and here: http://truebluenation.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19816-thank-you-orlando-for-what-may-have-been-the-best-night-of-my-life-as-a-sports-fan/ - I'm Nell2ThaIzzay in those posts - shameless plug, I know), and then just moved back to San Jose last year.

I could tell you were from there with that area code lol

It's good to see another Magic fan from CA

Unless of course the team was built around one superstar, and we got that superstar via tanking. Which is exactly what happened.

But I've always really liked the way people choose to argue things like this. "This time it worked out poorly because of bad decision making, therefore the whole process msut be bad!" It's fun to think about applying that kind of hopelessly backward logic to other things.

"Stocks are a bad investment, you guys! I know a guy who invested in stocks and lost money, so that means that everyone who invests in stocks loses money"

"No guys! Don't do it! You can't build that bridge, because ONE TIME A BRIDGE COLLAPSED!"

Right. After tanking for a superstar player in the draft. Also: no one is arguing that we're going to instantly go from drafting in the top 10 to being a contender. The argument is that you build year over year after you obtain a nucleus to build around, but you have to build a nucleus first.

It was 6 not, 7. It turns out it's very hard to parse what you were saying earlier, but what the hell, let's play the counting game:

[/size][/color]

I wouldn't call what happened in '03-'04 "tanking", considering that we had absolutely no talent on that squad to win games anyways. That was just sucking.

And sure, it's a 6 year plan if you take everything incredibly literally and willfully miss the point of what I was trying to say, which is that to improve, you need to take steps and actually IMPROVE, not constantly tank for lottery picks.

Sucking, and getting a #1 pick, ala the '03-'04 season that led to Dwight Howard, is not the same as "tanking" to purposefully get the #1 pick, which is when fans actually root for the team to lose and get mad when we win.

Which is pretty much the mentality that leads me to not posting on here as often anymore.

In an interview with Scott van pelt this season they spoke about tanking and grant hill mentioned that with about 3 weeks left in the season he was able to play and the team said no, we have a shot at the number one pick.

I wouldn't consider 3 weeks, when the team had no chance of doing anything anyways, and not wanting to risk further injury to Grant Hill, as tanking.

But as I said, perhaps I have a different definition of what tanking is, which is pretty much an organization going into a season with the goal of the #1 pick, instead of the goal being improvement and hopefully playoffs.

I wouldn't consider 3 weeks, when the team had no chance of doing anything anyways, and not wanting to risk further injury to Grant Hill, as tanking.

But as I said, perhaps I have a different definition of what tanking is, which is pretty much an organization going into a season with the goal of the #1 pick, instead of the goal being improvement and hopefully playoffs.

Oh, I get it.

"It's not tanking when I support it. It IS tanking when I don't."

Glad we cleared that up.

Oh, I get it.

"It's not tanking when I support it. It IS tanking when I don't."

Glad we cleared that up.

You suck at this whole arguing thing, you know, with the pretentious attitude and twisting people's words into things they never said.

But hey, whatever gets your jollies. Have fun.