LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I like the balance we have now and youth. cleared out those minute hogging vets (jameer gets a pass) and let the young guys determine who our stars are. I feel like its even playing field, lots of talent and upside, hungry defensive minded hard workers, lots of minutes, enough experience to really try to win (no more mystery injuries) and see who shines. maybe a couple of guys start coming into their own and we get on that almost beat the lakers in the first round style team that OKC was back then, where everyone's like "ok, orlando is coming". that's where I hope we are now.

I'll do you one better. Here's a player who shot in the 40s his rookie season who became a decent NBA shooter. You might have heard of him:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonka01.html

Uhh he had a career shooting %'s of 63 FTs and 56 FGs in college, terrible example. Rookie season wasn't what he said, he was talking about going from college to the NBA.

I like the balance we have now and youth. cleared out those minute hogging vets (jameer gets a pass) and let the young guys determine who our stars are. I feel like its even playing field, lots of talent and upside, hungry defensive minded hard workers, lots of minutes, enough experience to really try to win (no more mystery injuries) and see who shines. maybe a couple of guys start coming into their own and we get on that almost beat the lakers in the first round style team that OKC was back then, where everyone's like "ok, orlando is coming". that's where I hope we are now.

In a weird way it reminds of the warriors. The warriors were built on shooting and no D so bear with me here, but it was a youth movement, and they made the playoffs and got through some rounds due to the talent.

Now they are contending for star FAs due to the assets they have.

It's a very similar build IMO.

Let's do an absolutely best case scenario roster comparison:

Payton

Oladipo/Fournier

Harris/Harkless

Gordon/Nicholson

Vucevic/O'Quinn

Rondo

Wade/Ginobli

Melo/Ariza

Noah/Jefferson

Gasol/West

Agree on all points. This is the year we'll find out what we really have, and what our floor is.

Defense and defensive schemes can be taught - it is effort that can't be. Both these picks already bring that effort every time apparently. I think that is as big for Hennigan as anything.

In a weird way it reminds of the warriors. The warriors were built on shooting and no D so bear with me here, but it was a youth movement, and they made the playoffs and got through some rounds due to the talent.

Now they are contending for star FAs due to the assets they have.

It's a very similar build IMO.

Yeah, we're the bizzaro Warriors. All D and no O (at least shooting).

A lot of people are going to be happy when Gordon defends wade, lebron, and bosh at different parts of the same game.

yeah, watching some youtubes, his defense looks really good. kinda makes me think of lebron defensively.

I wouldn't worry so much about the picks we gave up for Payton. Teams will be calling this summer for help to eat some salary for them and we will be able to get more picks as the price.

We still have a 1st and 2nd rounder owed by the Lakers and simply gave Philly back the pick from the Howard trade that was heavily protected anyway.

Watch Dipo blossom this year now that he gets to play off the ball a lot more. I would not be surprised to see him shoot close to 40% beyond the arc being able to spot up and get his feet set off Payton's penetration moves.

PASS FIRST BIG PG!!!!!! EVERYONE on this forum's DREAM. lol

who was it that used to have that star wars sig with jameer's head on hans solo's body that said "nah I think I'll shoot first" that always made me laugh

If Rob chose Exum over Payton, then why not choose the superior Vonleh @ 4? Not as much of an athlete but still a good defender, better rebounder, better size and has an offensive game that's an order of magnitude better than the liability that Gordon has. Someone who might be David West with a three point shot is preferable to a less offensively talented Josh Smith.

Vonleh was entirely overrated here. I think it was a good pickup for CLT but he really didn't show a lot that screamed difference maker to me, Gordon has the chance to make a difference on defense and clean up some lobs from an athletic pg. I really didn't see either of those from Vonleh, despite the hard sell on his measurements.