LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

fixed

True. I don't know what I was thinking, I actually haven't closed this forum tab since I woke up this morning and turned on my laptop.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind, the only way we make this deal is if we think the guy we're targeting is a franchise cornerstone. We can find a smart or a vonleh in free agency or future drafts. A franchise guy isn't always there.

exactly what i am asking also lol

If we are reported to be trading for the number 1 pick and Cleveland is looking at flipping our assets to a third team, that's a three team trade.

There could be a 3 team trade come first pick.

Magic, Cavs and I am hearing Kings will be involved.

WHERE ARE YOU HEARING THAT?

Link?

And you think after this next year AA will want to stay and rebuild for 3 more years? No way, I understand your point of the 2 picks but why Gamble on Embid when theoretically speaking these injuries continue to nag a player on the court. Also looking at our team now with AA and then if we were to have Wiggins I personally think w/Wiggins is a much better. If anything it will show that our Management is willing to work/get pieces needed to be a top team and sometimes you have to take a gamble.. just not on an injured player that has only played 23 games and already going under the needle for 2 huge injuries for big men.

No I don't believe AA has a long term future in Orlando, but he's an asset that could be utilized in a different way, whether it be in a package with the #12 to move significantly up the draft board or in a trade with say Charlotte for an additional lottery pick. I just don't think this is the draft to trade up to #1 when there's so much talent available in the 5-10 range. I also hate the idea of leaving this draft without a PG when there seems to be some good to very good options available. I feel like we're kind of jumping ship from the idea of looking to build something that doesn't revolve around a singular player, and in this case I don't think what's there at #1 is that much better than what may fall right into our laps at #4 if we just stay put.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind, the only way we make this deal is if we think the guy we're targeting is a franchise cornerstone. We can find a smart or a vonleh in free agency or future drafts. A franchise guy isn't always there.

Guys with Vonleh's size and upside don't come around all that often and if they do in FA you're looking at a $12-15M per year guy. Would much rather draft those guys and have them on the cheap for 4 years and blow our load on a star FA or two.

If we are reported to be trading for the number 1 pick and Cleveland is looking at flipping our assets to a third team, that's a three team trade.

Kings Cavs have talked a Jarrett Jack for Jason Thompson trade, and we could end up with a cap friendly contract to then drop.

Guys Pelton's article on also Wiggins says he also could be a superstar. I would not take too much stock in that.

That being said, I'll take either one of Parker or Wiggins. I personally prefer Wiggins due to his defense and everything I have heard indicates the Magic do as well.

Chad Ford says Parker...so we shall see.

Just being able to pick #1, if it happens, will be insanely exciting.

No I don't believe AA has a long term future in Orlando, but he's an asset that could be utilized in a different way, whether it be in a package with the #12 to move significantly up the draft board or in a trade with say Charlotte for an additional lottery pick. I just don't think this is the draft to trade up to #1 when there's so much talent available in the 5-10 range. I also hate the idea of leaving this draft without a PG when there seems to be some good to very good options available. I feel like we're kind of jumping ship from the idea of looking to build something that doesn't revolve around a singular player, and in this case I don't think what's there at #1 is that much better than what may fall right into our laps at #4 if we just stay put.

I see your point but why why why would we want to stack up 3-4 rookie contracts when 15 FA market will be massive? I know we need a PG badly but I think at this point a PG is easier to come by than a potential all star wing player. And I don't see Charlotte trading their pick to us, I seem to remember they have a promise with stauski at 9. And we wouldn't be building around a single player.. If we get Wiggins we would have 3 key players to build around. Dipo, Vuc and Wiggins. We already have a good bench with Harris, Hark, O'quinn/dedmon why not take the risk and go for it.

Guys with Vonleh's size and upside don't come around all that often and if they do in FA you're looking at a $12-15M per year guy. Would much rather draft those guys and have them on the cheap for 4 years and blow our load on a star FA or two.

Same with Smart. There is great upside in the 4-8 range of this draft. Smart/Vonleh/Randle/Embiid/and even Gordon (in a Ben Wallace way) can all be perennial All-Stars who change the culture of a team. The idea that you have to have a superstar is just wrong. If you want a dynasty, sure, you likely need a superstar. But you can be competitive and even win one or two championships with a group of very good players who fit together. Guys like Smart/Randle/Embiid(healthy) could be considered superstars if you put them on a team that competes for a championship. Paul George is considered a franchise player by a lot of people, and I think all three of those guys have a very good chance of being at least that good.

I see your point but why why why would we want to stack up 3-4 rookie contracts when 15 FA market will be massive? I know we need a PG badly but I think at this point a PG is easier to come by than a potential all star wing player. And I don't see Charlotte trading their pick to us, I seem to remember they have a promise with stauski at 9. And we wouldn't be building around a single player.. If we get Wiggins we would have 3 key players to build around. Dipo, Vuc and Wiggins. We already have a good bench with Harris, Hark, O'quinn/dedmon why not take the risk and go for it.

It would be 2 or 3 quality rookies tops and I haven't seen anything about a promise to Stauskas at 9 but I may have missed that. I mean if we do it, we do it and I'll obviously support Henny and the team, but if Exum is there at 4 we need to run away from this deal as quickly as possible.