LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Zack (SLC)

Regarding stretch 4's and Adrian Payne… how close is Vonleh to qualifying as one?

Kevin Pelton (5:01 PM)

He wasn't that close at Indiana, but nor was Chris Bosh at Georgia Tech and there seems to be a consensus he will improve as a shooter as he ages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe (DC)

Which position do you project Parker to be better at in the pros -- 3 or 4?

Kevin Pelton (5:10 PM)

Four. I don't think he's quick enough to defend on the perimeter one-on-one, and that's a much more advantageous position for him on offense.

Kevin Pelton (5:10 PM)

Also, I believe in Kevin Arnovitz's maxim: If you have to ask, he's a 4.

That's pretty sobering on Vonleh

That article also says this….

But the good thing is that he's talented and you know that he is going to continue to improve. One thing that will really define his NBA career is if he'll be able to knock down the professional three-pointer.

(See Kevin Pelton about 3-pointers and Vonleh above)

• Upvote 1

That article also says this….

But the good thing is that he's talented and you know that he is going to continue to improve. One thing that will really define his NBA career is if he'll be able to knock down the professional three-pointer.

(See Kevin Pelton about 3-pointers and Vonleh above)

From what I saw from Vonleh, he's very raw. If we choose him, I'll be okay but I'd rather grab Exum... or maybe Smart. The "p" word for potential scares me.

From what I saw from Vonleh, he's very raw. If we choose him, I'll be okay but I'd rather grab Exum... or maybe Smart. The "p" word for potential scares me.

You just described Exum also…..Can't wait to see what Henny's gonna do….I do agree with you in that this draft will define the future of the team or I think you said, "make us or break us".

Soul, have you ever seen the movie "DraftDay" ???…You know my 1 son loves football so he made me take him to see this flick….For anyone that hasn't seen the movie you don't wanna know what Kevin Costner did to the rookie GM….Which Henny basically is.

Henny might need to do more than just make his picks at 4 and 12….Remember, this is a franchise altering draft.

Henny on the clock…..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Henny might need to do more than just make his picks at 4 and 12….Remember, this is a franchise altering draft.

Totally agree. If Henny's not sold on the PGs in this draft, I hope he goes hard after R. Jackson.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but here's a new (I think) youtube highlight mix for Exum. I've never seen some of this footage and was a bit impressed with some of his moves. Definitely see more of the combo guard skills in him, and that's fantastic to me. I personally like the move he pulled at 3:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x90-ooMTzk4

All of this has been addressed and debated already in this thread.

We need defense at the 4. The offense will come. Gordon is a big time talent.

Kyle O'Quinn was one of the top rim defenders % wise in the league. We do need defense up front, but Gordon has no skill with the ball. everyones talking about vonleh being a project, so is gordon, because gordon has no above average skill on the offensive end of the floor

Not sure if this was posted yet, but here's a new (I think) youtube highlight mix for Exum. I've never seen some of this footage and was a bit impressed with some of his moves. Definitely see more of the combo guard skills in him, and that's fantastic to me. I personally like the move he pulled at 3:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x90-ooMTzk4

Not saying the kid can't ball cause he can but wow he definitely looked like a skinny, high school kid…. and for the people who say he hasn't played against any competition (like me) this video sure doesn't help dispel that thought…..MAN, that was some serious stiffs in that clip.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I personally like KO starting at PF and I wouldn't be mad if he started next year. He brings that garbage man mentality. Tough, solid defender, HIGH IQ, good passer, and improving shot. He's what everyone wants at PF, but I have no idea why he's always overlooked.

Disclaimer: This is just off the eye test and watching most of the Magic games last season. I have no idea what the stats say to him starting next to Vuc.

Not saying the kid can't ball cause he can but wow he definitely looked like a skinny, high school kid…. and for the people who say he hasn't played against any competition (like me) this video sure doesn't help dispel that thought…..MAN, that was some serious stiffs in that clip.

Exum is good with ball and would be a great fit next to Oladipo.